5th annual Trillium trophy trip is a go!

5th annual Trillium trophy trip is a go!

• I'll have to pass and miss out this year.

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • We can make it for a day of fishing but not camping.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • I think we'll camp for at least a night or two.

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • 5 days of trophy fish and Lies around the fire, count me in!

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
T
troutmasta
Looks like this year I will be organizing the Trillium Trophy Campout. In the past it has been hosted by OntheFly and has been one of the most anticipated gatherings every year. Following tradition it will be on the first weekend after Labor Day. This year that falls the weekend of the 5th, 6th, and 7th. I will be there from the 3rd through the 7th and anyone is invited at anytime.
All OFF members and there friends and family are encouraged to join.

If your not familiar with Trillium lake it is a stunning mountain lake with a full campground and great trout fishing from the bank or the boat. There are no motors allowed so if you bring watercraft bring some oars as well. There is a campground that still has plenty of open spots. However, there are a handfull of campsites that are first come first serve located near the dam and my goal is to get one or two of those on wednesday and we can share and expand if need be. There is usually plenty of tent space and even more friendly faces.

Im a hardware fisherman bigtime but last year was encouraged to work on my fly fishing. I can tell you it was great. We have a lot of skilled fly anglers on the forum and I hope some come again this year.
Please take a moment to enter the poll to help determine how many folks are planning to join.

They will be stocking Trillium with 250 Trophys the week before the campout, which in the past has provided great fishing!
http://www.recreation.gov/campsiteSearch.do

Here is a link to the campground reservation site in case anyone wants to have a reserved spot in the actuall campground.
http://www.recreation.gov/campsiteSearch.do

Some Pictures of Trillium
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...94-Reviews-Trillium_Lake-Portland_Oregon.html

For those of you that have been there before, fill in what I'm missing!

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
count me and my dad in for 2 days at least

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I would add that anyone willing and able to bring firewood for those amazing fireside chats is definitely encouraged to bring as much as can be spared. The campfire is a thing to behold! The laughing, the lies, the meeting of new friends and forming new bonds is one of the highlights of the weekend. In the past, OnTheFly has generously provided nearly enough for the entire weekend tradition. Hope to see a lot of new faces along with the familiar ones.

C
ColoradoTroutMan
My plan is to finally make it for once instead of just a day here and there.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
My dearly departed Mother would have called me a "mugwump". I'm sitting on the fence with my mug on one side and my wump on the other. :D Meaning I still haven't decided.

T
troutmasta
Raincatcher said:
My dearly departed Mother would have called me a "mugwump". I'm sitting on the fence with my mug on one side and my wump on the other. :D Meaning I still haven't decided.

I better see some barb there. I'll make a 'plaza' for you so you stay dry and comfy.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Good to see you step up and host it this year TM. I'm unfortunately gonna miss out this year, had a blast the last two years though and recommend anyone who's never gone go spend a night or two up there its a lot of fun. Only a broken arm and lack of funds is stopping me :D

Casting Call
Casting Call
Raincatcher said:
I would add that anyone willing and able to bring firewood for those amazing fireside chats is definitely encouraged to bring as much as can be spared. The campfire is a thing to behold! The laughing, the lies, the meeting of new friends and forming new bonds is one of the highlights of the weekend. In the past, OnTheFly has generously provided nearly enough for the entire weekend tradition. Hope to see a lot of new faces along with the familiar ones.
F.Y.I. First of all this is not directed to anyone special. Let me prep what I am about to say,once this year and twice last year while staying in a hosted campground I was asked if I would like to purchase firewood. I said "no" I brought my own. The host said that is not allowed at this campground any more. I was only going to stay one night anyway. This was just a recon trip ,anywho. The host was nice enough to give me some wood "no charge". Now let me explain.U-tube "Invasive Species in Oregon" Over 100 IS are in oregon, here is a short list:Nutria plants, English Ivy, Scotchbroom(by theway sb has a toxin when eaten by some animals is DEADLY) and the butterfly bush. Ivy is the worst and most common it can kill fully grown trees even bend them in half and choke off the ground covers. Ivy is still found in some forgotten gardens and down tree that are used for camp firewood unknown to the traveling camper. Yes I will be at Trillium for two days. Tony

brandon4455
brandon4455
ill also add if anyone needs help getting set up for fishing that has little experience (whether it be fly or gear) i would be glad to help.

i dont mind providing flies for those who need any as well.

C
ColoradoTroutMan
Casting Call said:
F.Y.I. First of all this is not directed to anyone special. Let me prep what I am about to say,once this year and twice last year while staying in a hosted campground I was asked if I would like to purchase firewood. I said "no" I brought my own. The host said that is not allowed at this campground any more. I was only going to stay one night anyway. This was just a recon trip ,anywho. The host was nice enough to give me some wood "no charge". Now let me explain.U-tube "Invasive Species in Oregon" Over 100 IS are in oregon, here is a short list:Nutria plants, English Ivy, Scotchbroom(by theway sb has a toxin when eaten by some animals is DEADLY) and the butterfly bush. Ivy is the worst and most common it can kill fully grown trees even bend them in half and choke off the ground covers. Ivy is still found in some forgotten gardens and down tree that are used for camp firewood unknown to the traveling camper. Yes I will be at Trillium for two days. Tony

I was going to bring this up as I was camping at Trillium a couple of months ago and it is posted that outside wood is not allowed.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
troutmasta said:
I better see some barb there. I'll make a 'plaza' for you so you stay dry and comfy.
Awww, you're a sweetheart, no matter what anyone here says! :D I'm kind of leaning toward sleeping in my van if/when I come up. If it gets wet inside my van at least I can just go home. Kind of like Jeanna and Shane did last year...I'll never forget the sight of Shane sleeping in the creek the rain created in the camp! :sad:

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Casting Call said:
So maybe everyone camping out needs to bring enough for at least one bundle of park firewood to help out. It certainly wouldn't work to expect others to pay for the wood and not contribute.

R
RoryONeal
Bummed that I am going to miss this event.

O
OnTheFly
I inquired about 'outside the campground firewood' last year and it was a non issue. Local meant within the state. Just don't bring in weird wood. Stick with doug fir, ash, alder, etc.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
OnTheFly said:
I inquired about 'outside the campground firewood' last year and it was a non issue. Local meant within the state. Just don't bring in weird wood. Stick with doug fir, ash, alder, etc.
That's great news, Jim!

J
JeannaJigs
Throbbit _Shane said:
Good to see you step up and host it this year TM. I'm unfortunately gonna miss out this year, had a blast the last two years though and recommend anyone who's never gone go spend a night or two up there its a lot of fun. Only a broken arm and lack of funds is stopping me :D

I think I'll be able to go two days on the weekend, Thursday night and Friday night. So you're going.

T
troutmasta
JeannaJigs said:
I think I'll be able to go two days on the weekend, Thursday night and Friday night. So you're going.

Looks like we have some turnout! I'm getting excited! Jim will you make it?

C
ColoradoTroutMan
OnTheFly said:

Thanks for the followup.

T
Throbbit _Shane
JeannaJigs said:

Awesome! Thanks Jeanna! but i might have to pass or bring up my parents mutt up. I was chosen to watch the dog when they go out of town.

T
troutmasta
Throbbit _Shane said:
Awesome! Thanks Jeanna! but i might have to pass or bring up my parents mutt up. I was chosen to watch the dog when they go out of town.

Well bring the mutt. Duh. We can pick up where we left OFF