Announcing the 4th annual Trillium Trophy Trout Event!

Announcing the 4th annual Trillium Trophy Trout Event!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
O
OnTheFly
Well it’s time once again to start gearing up for the annual Trillium Lake Trophy Trout Trip. Now in it’s 4th year, this OFF fishing event has been a favorite among long time members and newer members as well. Each year has been great fun. I’ve asked myself at the end of each trip how can we top this but every year has been more enjoyable than the pervious and I enjoy hosting it.

The event will start the Wednesday after Labor Day through the following weekend. That is September 4th through the 8th. You can arrive anytime during this period and stay as long as you want or make it a day trip if you prefer. But I encourage staying at least one night to experience a genuine OFF event campfire. Sometimes I think the fishing is just a formality and we simply do these events just to sit around the fire, get acquainted, and tell stories. (or our best lies for that matter)

Our goal is the same; we target the larger Trophy fish that ODFW dumps in there every year and then proceed to fish out the lake. Except gill nets and dynamite, all methods are encouraged. My weapon of choice will be a fly rod. I will provide a tailgate fish cleaning station equipped with a Foodsaver vacuum packer and freezer space in my trailer for as many fish it can hold. I will provide cord wood (my camp only) but if you can manage to bring a couple pieces it might come in handy in case we’re short. Especially for Erin (eggs). He’s been known to build campfires you can see from space!

Like previous years, there will be no potluck dinners or contests. This is just a fun time to meet new people and to have a great time fishing for larger trout.

Camping:
Last year, the camp host bent over backwards to allow us to have the best time possible. He allowed us to have double the maximum people in our campsite but he said he can’t do that for us again. Six people is the limit for each site. ‘Maybe’ we could squeak in a couple more but I’d rather not push it. Our camp area of choice will be in the sites located on the other side of the dam at the left turn. I plan to arrive Wednesday the 4th and secure a campsite. The next OFF camper to show up will secure another. If the attendance for this event calls for it, a third site might be necessary. Other options are to establish your own campsite in the main campground or find free camping further up the road past the dam.

Edit: Camp fees......

More information will be posted as this thread develops. Feel free to ask me or others any other questions. Oh…and check out previous trips Trillium 2011 and 12 in the links below. There are some cool pictures in there. Hope ya’ll can come!

This photo featuring OFF member Ninja2010 (Jimmy) was from our 2011 Trip to Trillium. It can also be found in the latest edition in the popular book Fishing in Oregon.
5a6e39d4-493b-4682-a037-20924013f276.jpg

Last edited:
T
TimberTodd
I am sure hoping I can make this years event.

Reactions: OnTheFly
J
JeannaJigs
I'll come up Wednesday and stay through Friday morning. Gotta be at work at 10 pm Friday :(

L
lilsalmon
Woo Hoo!!! Can't wait! Going to put in for the time off in the morning.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Oh, yeah! Had too much fun last year to miss it! :dance:

S
Spydeyrch
Already got it on the calendar. I will be up there either Thursday evening or Friday morning and staying until Saturday night. Gunna be a blast!!! Can't Wait!! :dance:

-Spydey

C
ColoradoTroutMan
Was eagerly awaiting this announcement as I already put in for the time OFF. :D

Not sure if I will be camping but will make multiple day trips at the very least. Looking forward to meeting more of you (ran into Woz last year) and catching as many big fish as possible.

Irishrover
Irishrover
It's a long drive but I'll make it.

Casting Call
Casting Call
What kind of boat power can you use? Elect. or gas? Thanks CC

S
Spydeyrch
Casting Call said:
What kind of boat power can you use? Elect. or gas? Thanks CC

I think, and correct me anyone, that Trillium is a no motor lake. That means no gas, no electric, only human powered oars. :D

-Spydey

troutdude
troutdude
Spydeyrch said:
I think, and correct me anyone, that Trillium is a no motor lake. That means no gas, no electric, only human powered oars. :D

-Spydey

X 2. That is what I also understand--no motors at all. Restricted to float tubes, pontoons, kayaks, canoes, and row boats.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
No motors is correct. You can also use those fancy paddle boards if your balance is good enough to reel in a mighty rainbow...:lol:...drift boats, rafts and anything else (except floating logs?) float worthy are acceptable, too.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Thanks to all! CC

L
Leon Fish
Definitely interested. I would love to try a fly rod on a paddle board. lol.

O
OnTheFly
All of these patterns work well for the trout at Trillium. The first is a Peacock Carey Special tied with a peacock body, copper wire rib, and a pheasant back feather for the tail and hackle. The second is an Olive Crystal bugger,tied with a peacock herl body, olive marabou feather tips for the tail, palmered olive hen hackle, and pearl flash in the tail and rib. Both are weighted. Similar Buggers tied black are effective too.. The third is a Bud Light Special. A pattern that is a combination of the two, designed by eggs and tied by me after drinking Bud Lights one night around the campfire.

Flies002-1.jpg

Flies001-1.jpg

BudLightSpecial004.jpg

Last edited:
O
OnTheFly
Camping: There may be a problem.

Camping: There may be a problem.

Last year, I was informed by the camp host that reservations for campsites continued after Labor Day unlike the previous OFF trips where it was first come first serve. I was lucky to find the spot I did at the dam area last year when I arrived on that Tuesday because all other sites in the main campground were reserved. I am facing the same problem this year. With all sites in the main campground unavailable again over the weekend, it leaves it to chance that enough sites can be secured for our event at the dam area to accommodate all members. A sure fire way to defeat this problem would be to move the event dates to the following week when, as of now, 1/2 the campground will be empty. Should we take the chance and keep with the schedule or should we postpone to the following week? Would changing the dates at this point foul up anyone's planned time Off?:think::think:

L
lilsalmon
I already put in for the time OFF. What if some of us could get there and stake a claim for a couple sites early? hmmmm.

P.S. Jim, I want to put an order in for some flies....:lol:

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
This trip I will try to make!

Reactions: OnTheFly and lilsalmon
E
eggs
Let's do this!

S
Spydeyrch
lilsalmon said:
P.S. Jim, I want to put an order in for some flies....:lol:

Jim,

Might I also put in a request for a about 3 or 4 of each of those in the sizes that you think would be appropriate for Trillium? :D :pray:

Thanks man.

-Spydey