1st Annual Fish OFF

1st Annual Fish OFF

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
B
Big Hairy Dawg
I will not be able to make the first annual, I will still be moving. I hope to make the second anual next year!
I was up there Thursday evening trying out my new boat and the bite was on a ford fender and worm.
Good Luck all!

Big Hairy Dawg

A
autofisher
OnTheFly said:
The Santiam arm will be my first choice. OOps! Sorry autofisher..I gave it away:shock:

No worries. You didn't give away the spot. I was actually talking about the Breitenbush arm.
Big Cliff is still open to fishing with the water way down. From what I understand, two of the gates are stuck open on the dam. They can't keep the normal amount of water in the resevoir. I've also heard that the fishing has been decent with the water down.

I will be up there Thursday for a little bit, but have to come back to Salem because of some obligations. I should be back up Friday afternoon.

O
OnTheFly
Sarcasm runs in my family too :dance: All that cooler water out of Breitenbush could be a good thing. I might just give that a thought.
Do you by chance know if there's any decent size fish in Big Cliff? I know they stock it but I've never tried it. Wonder if they, just for fun, dump a couple steelhead or trophy size in there :think:

I
ibanez_shredder
i'm gettin stoked

i'm gettin stoked

hope to see everyone there!

I
Indifisher
Big Cliff

Big Cliff

Well if the water level is really low, it may make launching anything but a toon close to impossible. To call that ramp primative, gives primative boat ramps a bad name. I guess you can bring small aluminum boats, 8' - 12', that two people can carry to the waters edge, but nothing much bigger. I once had a hard time launching my 14' deep V because there were so many logs and drift wood on the ramp. It good be very good for small craft and toons.

Jason

A
autofisher
Big Cliff

Big Cliff

OnTheFly said:
Sarcasm runs in my family too :dance: All that cooler water out of Breitenbush could be a good thing. I might just give that a thought.
Do you by chance know if there's any decent size fish in Big Cliff? I know they stock it but I've never tried it. Wonder if they, just for fun, dump a couple steelhead or trophy size in there :think:

I've heard that there are some decent sized fish in there. But last night Raincatcher and I were trying to get into steelhead at Packsaddle(didn't happen), I noticed that there were a lot more trout and maybe some white fish rolling in the water than I had seen before. I could be wrong, but the ODFW guy that tried to push his way into my fishing spot made the same comment. He made the joke that maybe because the gates were stuck open that some fish might have been shot out and ended up down the river. (don't think that's what's happening either)
It will be a struggle getting anything but a small craft(toon, small row boat, raft, etc) down to the water, but I do feel that if you can get out you're going to have some luck.

W
wormosa
well detroit is not as low as big cliff, detroit is low compared to a month ago when i was there, big cliff is where you will see a difference, i am betting it is a good 100 feet from the road until you are able to launch
(guessing) detroit lake it is prolly 12 feet to the trees, so many syumps compared to what was there a month ago, i heard they had issues with blig cliff damn and this si why water was let out so early compared to previous yrs....good luck jason, kick *ss and take names !! jim

I
Indifisher
Thanks Worm. I am planning on bringing both my 14' aluminum and my 8' toon. I figure the toon might come in handy for Big Cliff. I started going through my fishing and camping stuff tonight after work. Set my tent up in the back yard to air out and BAM, the rain started. The boat is loaded up, I just need to hit the grocery store and gas station. One more day of work, and I can relax for a few.

I was wondering what ideas people have for mooring the boats during the night. All the boat slips are taken. Hopefully the stumps aren't exposed to much along the shore line. I don't want to be launching and loading every day.

Jason

Last edited:
W
wormosa
Indifisher said:
Thanks Worm. I am planning on bringing both my 14' aluminum and my 8' toon. I figure the toon might come in handy for Big Cliff. I started going through my fishing and camping stuff tonight after work. Set my tent up in the back yard to air out and BAM, the rain started. The boat is loaded up, I just need to hit the grocery store and gas station. One more day of work, and I can relax for a few.

I was wondering what ideas people have for mooring the boats during the night. All the boat slips are taken. Hopefully the stumps aren't exposed to much along the shore line. I don't want to be launching and loading every day.

Jason

well since i cannot come, you need to kick some *ss for YOU and me lol.... you should be fine with the 14 ft alum and toon, i had great luck up the hoover arm if you fish detroit... i hope to smell the fish bake here in mcminnville !!!:dance:

LadyoftheLake
LadyoftheLake
Our "conversion" van is pulling our boat trailer...

Our "conversion" van is pulling our boat trailer...

We will sleep in our GMC conversion van that has a bed in the back. It will pull our 18' run-about fishing boat. We will come up Saturday morning (maybe Friday pm) and fish all day Saturday, share in the pot-luck and Saturday evening festivities, and then sleep in the van. Any ideas where we can best park the van for Saturday (and maybe Friday too) nite? Anyone have a reserved campground large enough to squeeze in our van? Or, can we get some help securing a site at one of the FCFS (first come first serve) sites?

Or, should we sleep on the boat Iwa Jima style? That sounds like fun too!

Thanks,

Ladyofthelake (and Bob)

R
Rheinholdt
By hook or by crook...

By hook or by crook...

Hi All,

My name is Ron. I just joined this group last week and spent the weekend reading through some of the back threads, faq's, etc... to catch up. I haven't even posted a "new member" notice yet since I got caught up in the Fish Off thread.

I'm basically new to fishing; did it a couple of times as a kid but nothing since. I've decided to give it a try and have been collecting some gear. Got a couple of combos and now have many questions.

During the weekend I read about the Detroit Fish Off and I know I am really
in the eleventh hour here but I'm thinking I'm going to attend, if even only for a day, though I'd like to do the whole three days if I can actually get a campsite or some situation. I only need a space large enough for my Ford Ranger so I'm optimistic that I'll find something. Not sure where I'll end up but I will check in with Raincatcher when I get up there.

I'm looking forward to this very much!

Respectfully, Ron.

W
windburnt
im also thinking of heading that way early saturday morning.. Is my boat ok for this lake.. 15ft alumacraft. 10hp??? i may have a extra seat available, but wont know till that morning. And ill probably only stay 1 day. If some of u guys could shoot me ur number, so i can hook up once i get there, that would be kewl.

I
Indifisher
Hook Up

Hook Up

Windburnt,
Hope you can make it. A 15' with a 10 hp is just fine for Detroit. Don't forget your PFD (one for each seat you hope to fill), whistle, fire supression, etc. As for hooking up, look back through this thread and find the space numbers members like Raincatcher and Fishfinger have posted. I think we are all going to meet at Raincatchers site to check in. Good luck and Tight Lines.

Jason

I
Indifisher
Rheinholdt,
Hope can can make it also. There are several "first come first serve" sites. Look for Cove Creek and South Shore campgrounds, they are all FCFS. There are also over 20 "primative" campsites on the island. You have to ferry yourself there but they hardly ever fill up. Just a thought. Read back through this thread also to locate Raincatcher's campsite. You should check in there at least. If no one is there, then she's out catching your fish. Tight lines.

Jason

A
autofisher
I'm sure that there will be a ton of sites to camp at. I know of a few that are pretty cool. I think there's even one that if you can get it, is right next to the water and the waterfalls. You have to go over the bridge and go till you hit the bridge, or you can keep going. There are a ton of sites on the other side of the dam.
And as for the fishing tournament. I think we need to put someone in charge to come up with some simple rules. I personally don't think it should get too crazy. You know things like, biggest fish, smallest fish, etc. Just a thought.

Last edited:
W
windburnt
is anybody from eugene leaving at dinner timeish? Maybe i could follow some people up. was gonna sleep in back of truck friday night and probably leave by 12 on saturday.

R
Rheinholdt
Hi Windburnt,

Hopefully I won't be leaving that late but knowing me it's possible. I'll send you a PM in a little while with a phone number and we can talk. I'm also planning on sleeping in my truck. But may use my tent if no parking where I camp. Will talk to you soon.

Respectfully, Ron.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Brain f**t

Brain f**t

Okay,we've all had them,those pesky little bubbles of gas roaming around in our brain. :shock: :lol: I've had one for a few days...going to Medford and back yesterday didn't help at all! :confused: To set things straight, I will be located at campsite B-26,not A-26! Don't ask,I think I must have crossed the legs of my pantyhose....:redface: :whistle:
Fishfinger will be at B-7&8. It would be very helpful if everyone who has a reserved campsite could post the location. :pray:
For those of you not having a reservation,check out Big Cliff past the portable outhouse. There is a nice sized parking lot next to the water,maybe you can stay there. Please let me know,I will be taking my computer and you can reach me at the campsite after around 4:00 today.
See you there!!!! Gotta go! :yay:
Be safe.
Barb

W
windburnt
Raincatcher said:
Okay,we've all had them,those pesky little bubbles of gas roaming around in our brain. :shock: :lol: I've had one for a few days...going to Medford and back yesterday didn't help at all! :confused: To set things straight, I will be located at campsite B-26,not A-26! Don't ask,I think I must have crossed the legs of my pantyhose....:redface: :whistle:
Fishfinger will be at B-7&8. It would be very helpful if everyone who has a reserved campsite could post the location. :pray:
For those of you not having a reservation,check out Big Cliff past the portable outhouse. There is a nice sized parking lot next to the water,maybe you can stay there. Please let me know,I will be taking my computer and you can reach me at the campsite after around 4:00 today.
See you there!!!! Gotta go! :yay:
Be safe.
Barb

what is the name of the site ur at? srry

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Detroit

Detroit

windburnt said:
what is the name of the site ur at? srry

I will be at Detroit Lake State Park on highway 22 just up from the ranger station. Don't confuse it with Mongold day use park. There is a nice boat ramp there though. Entrance is on the right.

Be safe.
Barb