Announcing the 3rd annual Trillium Trophy Trout event.

Announcing the 3rd annual Trillium Trophy Trout event.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
JeannaJigs said:
Everyone's always tryin' to kill my dog. Graphitezen ran her over with a 200 lb table when she was 6 weeks old and less than 5 pounds haha and you fed her guts! Stupid dog forgives you both though.

That table was a lot more than 200 lbs.

O
OnTheFly
Chromatose said:
OntheFly,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Those Freezer bags aren't cheap by no means. Good on you!
For the most part I was able to wrap most everyone's fish last year with what I had but it really put a dent in my supply. I'll be well equipped with more this year but maybe I can work some sort of small cost per bag for those who need them. Also, I will fit as many fish in my freezer as I can fit. Just remember to write your names on the bag with a sharpie.

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
OnTheFly said:
TrilliumOFFEvent2011024.jpg

This pic of Jimmy, is my desktop screen saver. OTF, did you snap the photo?

I won't be going; but I wish everyone tight lines!

Reactions: SeanC
O
OnTheFly
Yes I did and glad you like it.:) I'm no Ansel Adams but sometimes I get lucky when it comes to getting shots like that. Too bad the air was so smoky from the fire.

troutdude
troutdude
Dear Ansel,

It's an excellent pic, to be sure (the framing and focal length of the lens in particular). I thought the smoke, was just fog in the early morning. It added texture, to the pic IMHO.

Oh, and I'm glad to see that you are no longer confining your efforts to the Sierra's. Expanding into Oregon, was a great idea.

Regards,

Your publisher

J
JeannaJigs
woot woot, looking forward to this camping trip now that I can breathe a sigh of relief and not worry about having to fish from the bank, or stealing my toon back from Rose LOL. Rose, fyi, that's your toon. I don't ever want it back. Happy birthday, merry christmas, Happy st patty's day, Memorial day, fourth of july, thanksgiving, etc. I got a lot of good use out of it when it was all I had, and there may come a time when I might want to borrow it for a specific winter stream, but, it's unlikely, and I know that you can get more use out of it than I, and it deserves love and happiness that I just can't give it. I mean seriously, I haven't touched it in 3 years lol.

L
lilsalmon
JeannaJigs said:
woot woot, looking forward to this camping trip now that I can breathe a sigh of relief and not worry about having to fish from the bank, or stealing my toon back from Rose LOL. Rose, fyi, that's your toon. I don't ever want it back. Happy birthday, merry christmas, Happy st patty's day, Memorial day, fourth of july, thanksgiving, etc. I got a lot of good use out of it when it was all I had, and there may come a time when I might want to borrow it for a specific winter stream, but, it's unlikely, and I know that you can get more use out of it than I, and it deserves love and happiness that I just can't give it. I mean seriously, I haven't touched it in 3 years lol.

Awwww, no way! That toon was your first baby. I can take care of it for you but really, that is too generous. Me thinks you sniffed too much paint....hehe.

J
JeannaJigs
I did sniff a lot of paint and toxic fiberglas fumes, but it's yours. I refuse to take it back so there!!

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
J
JeannaJigs
Well I loaned it to her a couple years ago so possession is nine tenths of the law and rose can use it. It's better that it be used than sit around here collecting dust

L
lilsalmon
Thank you Jeanna. You are very thoughtful and kind and talented. We will discuss it more on Wednesday when we go after some trout on a fly!!!!!

S
SeanC
Ok, so I'm checking through my gear to make sure I have what I need for my daughter. Any suggestions on line wieght, tackle, etc. That may help get her into a trophy trout. We are planning on bringing our float tubes.

G
GDBrown
SeanC said:
Ok, so I'm checking through my gear to make sure I have what I need for my daughter. Any suggestions on line wieght, tackle, etc. That may help get her into a trophy trout. We are planning on bringing our float tubes.

Most of the trophy fish we caught last year can be handled with 6lb spinning gear or a 4 to 6 wt fly rod. Many of the fly fishers were using intermediate sinking line and olive wolley buggers or something similar.... And don't forget to bring a camera or you will miss taking home this:

TrilliumLake-1.jpg

troutdude
troutdude
If you haven't got a fly rod/reel; you can fish Woolly Buggers quite effectively with spin gear from a float tube. Just let me know, and I'll PM the info to you.

Reactions: Throbbit _Shane
troutdude
troutdude
PM's sent. Thanks for the Rep points Sean!

T
Throbbit _Shane
I troll all the time in my pontoon boat with wolly buggers and ultra lite spinning rods. Great way to catch trout if you dont fly fish. All you need is a couple flys and a bb split shot to get the fly down! Look for the guy with long hair and ill show you how I fish them.

W
wozniasm
If all goes well, I will be up on Wednesday.
If so, I'm planning on having an OFF sign taped up to the campsite permit holder or in my window if I back in (won't see the sticker) so all can tell there's an OFFer there.
This would help others that don't know faces much like me only knowing a few.

troutdude
troutdude
Got to thinking that since this a "take all you catch" event...I'd share my "spin fishing w/ Woolly Buggers" tips. So, here goes:

I usually use a main line of 6 lb. mono. I attach that main line, to the small side of a Torpedo Bobber (see pic). On the larger side of the bobber, I attach about 4 - 5 feet of 4 lb. mono leader. Tie the other end of your leader, to a Woolly Bugger (Olive Green, or Black are my go to colors). I generally use size 8's.

torpedo bobber.jpg

Now, for a trick shown to me by a fly fisherman...

Carefully, grasp the Woolly Bugger in one hand. Bring it up, to where it touches the larger side (biggest end) of your bobber. Now, crimp on a BB sized split shot onto your LEADER; just farther than half-way from the bobber to the fly. For example: you have a leader length of 4'. Pinch your BB shot, onto your leader, about 2 & 1/2 feet DOWN the leader FROM the bobber. So, the shot is CLOSER TO YOUR FLY than to the bobber. This trick helps to keep the fly, from wrapping around your line when casting.

Cast your line, and let is sit until the water rings disappear. Now, SLOWLY kick in your tube 2 or 3 times. Rest and SLOWLY glide. Kick once, glide. Kick three times, glide. Vary your kick and glide, until you find what the fish want. The MAIN TRICK when "fly" fishing is SLOW SLOW SLOW; then go SLOWER! A fly is TINY and moves VERY slowly.

Good luck and tight lines to all!

P.S. Here is my favorite bugger. It's a plain Jane; but it has nabbed DOZENS of trout for me!

woolly bugger.j.jpg

One more note: Teeny Nymphs fished in this fashion, is every bit as deadly on trout. Here is a pic of one (I prefer black in this pattern, brown is good too).

teeny nymph.jpg

Last edited:
O
OnTheFly
I'm a catch and release fisherman but not on this trip. This is the only time I target trout for the shear delight to fill my freezer with meat. Not what you expected to hear from an avid fly fisherman? Well listen up because it gets even worse. All of my flies will have the barb intact and my leader and tippet will not be less than 6lb. Once I find where fish are I will rake fly after fly through it until I'm convinced that area of water is void of all life. Then I'll go and pilage another spot. If there are any surviving fish after we're done I'm pretty sure that, even through that tiny brain, they'll be able to process the horror and wish they could be recaptured and brought back to the hatchery.
:dance:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeNDzbFv2f8

S
SeanC
Thank you guys for all the help. I'm gonna go shopping and get set up. I'm really hoping to get my daughter into a trophy trout. I personally have caught three of em years ago on mini jigs. But a different lake in a different state and they were triploids. One run then they are dead. Lol. My daughter is really excited to go.