Lower Clackamas River Fishing

J
Jiggy
Going out tomorrow night, and this weekend. I got a new reel and I'm breaking that sum b in on a fish if it kills me!!! There is too much good being reported about the sandy to pass it up. But I'm going to float the clack too. What were you saying about using a pontoon on the sandy? I'm down for anything that heats my reel up.

T
TeamRamRod
I was at Cross Park tonight. Seen two caught in bout an hour and a half. Nice chromers. I'll be out tomarow.

S
Silvers&Steelies
If I had a pontoon I could get to some good spots that take a long way to hike into. I don't know where to launch but I've seen pontoons and kayaks up there. I've been wanting to do the pontoon thing for a while but don't have the funds for a good one. Theres some pretty rough whitewater up there too.

J
Jiggy
Fish on baby! And then off,,,, good times though. It must've been a big sucker, it ran oround for a while, layed in front of me for a minute, them ran, turned, and spit the hook at me. I pulled in a nice little fish the other day, this beast was like 3 of that one. Even if it was a native, I would've loved to get a picture of it. Anyone else having some luck?

S
Steeliekiller
Pulled 2 damn suckers below high rocks and a guy down the river hooked up with steel.

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
Last edited:
F
flytrekker1007
She's a beauty!

J
Jiggy
There are a lot of those in and around cross park/high rocks. Every time I go down there I see one caught. I saw a guy pull one out in a fly tonight. And the last time was on a fly also. What were you using to catch that one?

O
OH3Sticks
I'm a newbie to the clackamas river and am looking to get some fishing in this week. Was hoping to get some help on what people are using around the cross park/high rocks area, I'm looking to go there because it's on the way to where I coach baseball and am trying to get some casts in before I have to coach.

Thanks!

T
TeamRamRod
Bang those things in the head and toss em in a bush. They eat eggs. Garbage fish. I'll be out all this week. Heard this weekend was pretty good for folks. I was out fishin with the gf so I didn't get a chance to slay any chrome. If anyone wants to meet up, gimme a holler!!

O
OH3Sticks
TeamRamRod said:
Bang those things in the head and toss em in a bush. They eat eggs. Garbage fish. I'll be out all this week. Heard this weekend was pretty good for folks. I was out fishin with the gf so I didn't get a chance to slay any chrome. If anyone wants to meet up, gimme a holler!!

So fishing with a blue fox is like fishing with a hook and no worm?

T
TeamRamRod
Honestly, I'd stick with spoons. That's the big ticket down at cross park. Work the head and tail outs. If you got good eggs, drift em. Start with a light presentation, and work up. Like drift, before hardware. Bluefoxs seem to ride to high. dont get me wrong, ive had hook ups on bluefoxes down there, but spoons run the water. If you want to chat more, gimme a message. I'm always down to swap info.

C
ChezJfrey
TeamRamRod said:
Honestly, I'd stick with spoons. That's the big ticket down at cross park. Work the head and tail outs. If you got good eggs, drift em. Start with a light presentation, and work up. Like drift, before hardware. Bluefoxs seem to ride to high. dont get me wrong, ive had hook ups on bluefoxes down there, but spoons run the water. If you want to chat more, gimme a message. I'm always down to swap info.

I've heard the stories of the guy you are probably referring to...I need to meet up with him sometime...spoon guy to spoon guy :)

S
Steeliekiller
Yeah they catch a rock to the head an bush bound for sure. I caught those drifting yarn and corky. Ramrod what's your schedule like I fish this area often

F
fishsauce
TeamRamRod said:

Actually, sucker fish pose no threat to the salmonid population. Suckers are native to our NW rivers and have coexisted with salmonids. There is no need to bonk these suckers, treat them like you would any other native fish. Northern pike-minnow, bonk those.

T
todd_brooks
Northern Pikeminnow are also native and are said to be of no detriment in natural flowing rivers. Apparently they only become a problem/overpopulated in dammed rivers like the Columbia.
Killing any critter that's part of the natural web can't be good or help the health of our rivers. Suckers are nature's little cleaners like mussles are.

T
TeamRamRod
Jeff, you and that guy would be best friends haha. Heard you've been doin pretty good on winters.
I hear y'all there. Seems like everyone has different opinions on em. I've seen em up at McIver in the shallows eatin the eggs the nooks were droppin. I don't like the sucker fish, and everyone down where I fish don't either and all bonk em on the head. I don't catch many, and most I throw back. Unless I gotta rip the hooks out and there all nasty. I'm headin down in a few, lets hope for a good report haha

T
TeamRamRod
Yesterday, was at McIver, upper and lower at the park, a section lower then McIver, the sandy river, and the lower clack. And no hook ups. Seen prolly ten fish caught between sunrise and sunset.

D
dozer365
It's been hot down low for the last few weeks. Look for the fish to move as the water rises even slightly.

T
TeamRamRod
Kenny, sshhhhhh! Dan might see this and get mad.

W
waco
I'm on my way to the lower clack right now! I'll post my report later