Lower Clackamas River Fishing

J
Jiggy
Great idea on the split shot. I would've thought that it might spook the fish, having too much hardware that close to the bait. I'll give it a go though, my fishing addiction is getting out of control. I'd love to turn it into a catching addiction. Thanks

F
flytrekker1007
ya buddy. I use the worm a lot during the winter, as was as trout beads. The split shot is about every six to eight inches. My theory is if the worm isn't in the strike zone than you definitely don't have to even worry about scaring anything because the fish wont even see the worm.

J
Jiggy
That explains why I've just been practice casting instead of catching. I'm getting some split shot tomorrow. Thanks!

J
Jiggy
Just to clarify, you are using a jig head with the worm right? Like I said, I'm new to this! Haha! Thanks again

F
flytrekker1007
No, I use a bait threader through the worm. The worm slides on the leader, and in between the hook and the worm I put a tiny pink bead in there to keep the leader from taring through the worm.

J
Jiggy
Ahh! Ok now the split shot strategy makes even more sense. I've been throwing the worm with a 1/16 oz jig head, white with little pink dots. And a pink mad river worm. What size of hook are you putting with the worm? And do you start a ways up on the worm with the threader, or thread it on full length of the worm? Sorry to ask so many questions, but this is really cool of you to take the time to help me out. Thanks

D
dozer365
Jiggy. U could also try just using an 1/8 or most ppl use 1/4 oz jig head with 1/2 or 3/8 oz bobber.

J
Jiggy
My setup right now is a half oz bobber, I think, a 3/4 oz in line weight, 2' plus of 8 lb fluorocarbon, and the jig head with a mad creek pink worm. I adjust the stop to keep the worm from dragging, and that's all I know. I have some thinner, lighter pink worms I've been trying when the water gets clearer, then go back to the mad creek brighter worms in the merkier water. It sounds like I'm using too much hardware, but I may need a smoother reel, because with any less weight I can't cast far enough. The heavier jig head would certainly help, I'm going to pick some up. Thanks for the help.

T
TeamRamRod
Wednesday I saw a couple hook ups on the lower, Thursday only saw one. We had a damn sealion in front of us. Damn thing was cruising up and down the clack. All the way to bout the high rocks bend. Seen that ******* eat a couple. There's fish in the water folks!

J
Jiggy
Wow, that's a ways up there. Your right though, they wouldn't be there if there were no fish. Lets get em!

J
Jiggy
I got down and fished until dark on the lower river. I watched a fly fisherman land a 20" chub. Nothing else though. Gonna try again in the morning. See ya out there.

S
Silvers&Steelies
I might try the clackamas on Monday morning after work. Expecting it to be very busy tomorrow. Already heard of quiet a few people trying the Clackamas and Sandy rivers this weekend. I'll probably check Riverside this morning after work just to see the shape of the river but won't fish until after the weekend. It could also be less crowded with the sportsmans show at the expo center.

J
Jiggy
There were a lot of people down there Friday, so I'm sure it's packed today. But the water looks so good I can't resist going later today. Good luck

T
TeamRamRod
Helped net a nice chromer for a guy yesterday by Cross Park. The guy has had a hookup every day for 3 days, but has lost em. Til yesterday. Netted that badboy, and he was stoked. Seen a lot of action around the past few days. Headin out tomarow, hopefully ill report back with a fish hahaha

J
Jiggy
Cool, they're coming up baby, I'm at riverside now, several have been caught this morning. Game on!

S
Silvers&Steelies
Nice might have to hit it Monday morning.

J
Jiggy
It slowed down in the late afternoon. Go early, the ones that I heard of were caught around 9 am. See ya out there.

J
Jiggy
You guys rock! I got a beautiful little hen this morning around 10. Pink worm with a white clown pink dotted head, 1/16 oz. . Thanks for getting me up to speed! What a rush.

S
Silvers&Steelies
Good job. You gotta post a pic now. Was it crowded today?

F
flytrekker1007
Size 1 hook. Start the bait threader about 1 inch up from the tail and push it right out the top of the head. Slip the leader in the hole of the bait threader, and pull the threader through.