Lower Clackamas River Fishing

S
Silvers&Steelies
I'm probably gonna try the Clackamas this week in the mornings. Probably Wednesday and Thursday, not sure where yet. I got a new pole to try out too.

T
TeamRamRod
What kinda pole you get?

J
Jiggy
Whammo! Got a hatchery fish finally! A beautiful little hen, 6 1/2 lbs. she faught like crazy, but I got her in. I had to chase her 50 yds down the bank, what a rush it was when I saw it was a hatch! So cool, going out for more!

D
dozer365
I picked up a nice 30 inch winter hen tonight. Good for u jiggy. What were u running. Were u up by riverside again? I was below riverside. Got mine on a white jig head pink worm combo. Mine didn't fight much. But it is always better then nothing. Pics to come. Ramrod u better spill some blood tomorrow. Only hatchery origin of course.

T
TeamRamRod
Nicely done Jiggy!
Kenny, smokin your, and my fish bright an early. Then I'll be out. Most definitely gonna spill some hatchery blood. Gotta fill the freezer!

S
Silvers&Steelies
TeamRamRod said:
What kinda pole you get?

Got a GLoomis GL2 8'6" 8-17lb for drifting and tossing out spinners and spoons. Replaced my old one that got stolen out of my garage about 2 years ago. Since September I've been using an 8'6" Berkley IM8 but broke it on my last fish. Decided to go back to a Loomis since I missed my old one so much.

On another note my friend fished the Sandy and talked to a fish counter the other day. He said there have been higher counts on the Clackamas than Sandy the last 2 weeks. I think I'm gonna try Riverside at sunrise when I get off work on wednesday morning until the boats start launching. I'll probably hike in from Bonnie Lure down Eagle Creek after that.

C
ChezJfrey
Second summer of the year...lower Clackamas with a silver spoon and patented Sharpie:

2013-03-26_16-00-00_417.jpg

T
TeamRamRod
Stop bragging Jeff. Get outta here hahaha

C
ChezJfrey
TeamRamRod said:
Stop bragging Jeff. Get outta here hahaha

Hey man, I'm sorry you guys were skunked and all yesterday, but it is my sworn duty as a member here to give timely and accurate fishing reports of the rivers I visit and post the photos...I'm pretty sure it was documented in the written policy I agreed to when I signed up here, clicked the little check box to accept and everything, LOL ;)

T
TeamRamRod
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha smart ass

S
Silvers&Steelies
Nice I was hoping to hit up the clackamas this morning but been sick the last few days. If I'm lucky I might get out there Friday morning.

C
ChezJfrey
Hey Tony, connected with one today after I left you guys for another spot...but it came unbuttoned shortly after it jumped around on the surface. Gotta branch out guy...and I'm not talking about that nearby tree :)

D
dozer365
It is a bit amusing watching u guys in line down there. But I'll prolly be along side the branch somewhere lol.

T
TeamRamRod
Jeff, water tower? Haha I'm gonna try a couple more tactics. They were rollin but nothin hookin up. Was gonna float Barton to Carver tomarow. But it got shut down.

J
Jiggy
Thanks guys! I switched tactics and location, needed some different scenery. Ramrod was killing em so I had to give cross another try. I've been happy with the white clown head jig, pink spotted, then threading on a bubble gum pink Berkly worm. I cut them off above the fat part of the worm and thread it on the jig hook so that it hangs strait. I had to try drift fishing because so many people I've talked to were having good success with it. I'm throwing an inch and a quarter of small pencil lead on a slider swivel above a small bead. 2' or less of 10 lb izorline leader and a yarnie. In the crazy high water we had last week, and dirty, I got one on a pink and peach. It was thumbnail sized, and a #4 owner hook. On Sunday I used a quarter sized pink and chartruse yarnie. With the water conditions it should have worked just the opposite, but I'm not complaining! I've picked up two on the worm set up, and 2 drift fishing, but I've put a lot less time in on the drifting gear and produced two fish in 3 outings right off the bat. So for right now I'm pretty hooked on drifting, but I need to learn, and be ready to use both strategies effectively. Last night I took only drifting gear, and found some water that was screaming for a bobber setup. So I'm looking to find a good way to pack both rigs. Good luck fellas

C
ChezJfrey
So Tony, I'm confused. I run into you today, decide to meander a little further down the river and you tell me, "Don't come back without a fish."

So, I do just that...go down, catch a summer and then you give the one-finger salute when I come back? I did exactly what you told me to do! ;)

2013-03-28_15-59-54_253.jpg

S
Silvers&Steelies
How low are you guys fishing? I tried Mciver with no luck. Had some bobber downs yesterday but wouldn't stick on a pink worm. Tried the same spot with a micro jig and got a small trout. About the only action I saw. Wanted to try cross park but ran out of time. I'm probably gonna try Riverside when I get off work around sunrise. Then move up or down from there.

C
ChezJfrey
Silvers&Steelies said:
How low are you guys fishing? I tried Mciver with no luck. Had some bobber downs yesterday but wouldn't stick on a pink worm. Tried the same spot with a micro jig and got a small trout. About the only action I saw. Wanted to try cross park but ran out of time. I'm probably gonna try Riverside when I get off work around sunrise. Then move up or down from there.

I've heard of fish being caught from McIver, all the way down. Though I've been fishing lower, so you should do well from Barton and below.

T
TeamRamRod
I got a 27" buck hatchery this mornin. Seen 6-7 fish caught before 9 o'clock. Jeff, I bet you can guess what I caught it on :) Hahahahaha

J
Jiggy
Haaaaaah! That's good stuff, you get what you ask for! Congrats