1st Annual Fish OFF

1st Annual Fish OFF

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
O
OnTheFly
Detroit Lake State Park

Detroit Lake State Park

If you are still trying to get a campsite at Detroit Lake for the fish-off there is still hope. Get on the website below and check availability and do it daily!!! We confermed B-30 yesterday and changed to F-13 w/full hook-up today!!! You never know when someone cancels their spot. B-30 is now up for grabs as of today at 1:58pm!!!
Campground Details - Detroit Lake, Oregon - ReserveAmerica

Whoe!!! Just checked out the site again and spots in "C" and "H" Loops are available!!!

Last edited:
J
JeannaJigs
I am excited to fish up there ! I've never fished that far north, how sad is that? Lived here all my life...and never ventured north of Eugene as far as fishing goes. What kinda gear? I have some generic trout stuff, but it's all a mess right now thanks to moving, I have some here, some there, found some in my car, some in a closet, some in the shed...oi, it's everywhere...My steelhead arsenal is 100% organized and fully stocked, but my trout gear hasn't been inventoried in a while and I know it's lacking.

A
autofisher
Depends

Depends

Depends on if you're fishing from the bank or from a boat.
Bank..... It's as simple as some 4lb line, a couple of sinkers and some #14 hooks, treble or otherwise. Grab your favorite color of powerbait, powereggs. Bits of shrimp, worms and white corn soaked in tuna will bring in fish. The white corn and shrimp combo is said to bring on the Kokanee that are in the lake.

From a boat....Trolling with wedding rings and corn, ford fenders all the norm. You can also head down to the log jam by the dam and drop your line down and jig corn or worms, your depth just depends on how warm the water is and how much they're letting out. I personally haven't had much luck with trolling, but that's just me. I've heard of people pulling decent fish out from trolling.

F
fishnquest
This is totally late, but I am now trying to attend. My wife needs every excuse to visit portland asap. She is hurting because the kids are moving to alaska and she needs to see them and Colin as much as possible before October. Any excuse to get her there works.

I am checking tripreservations daily. I could also stay at the "first come first serve" spots.
I may be abandoned without a vehicle, but with a teardrop trailer, food, supplies, power, water, propane, stove, frig, etc, and a 12ft fiberglass boat, 6hp motor, fish finder, pfd's, alternate propulsion, lots of poles and gear, capable of being carried and launched by two people from a ramp or anywhere for that matter (my brother and I carried it down the side of a hill once:lol:).
I am not sure about the oregon laws to use a california boat; I have yearly fishing license for Oregon and steelhead report card; no other oregon report cards.

If I luck out and get a reservation, I'm there. If not, I just may come early and grab a remote spot, but that doesn't help me get the boat in the water unless I get it in the water before she leaves and I can keep it there while she is gone, sitting at the shoreline. I have not been able to find out how close the camping is to the lake.

I have not completed the poll.

Am I crazy or can this work? and don't be afraid to tell me I'm crazy, I already know that anyway.

F
FishFinger
fishnquest said:
This is totally late, but I am now trying to attend. My wife needs every excuse to visit portland asap. She is hurting because the kids are moving to alaska and she needs to see them and Colin as much as possible before October. Any excuse to get her there works.

I am checking tripreservations daily. I could also stay at the "first come first serve" spots.
I may be abandoned without a vehicle, but with a teardrop trailer, food, supplies, power, water, propane, stove, frig, etc, and a 12ft fiberglass boat, 6hp motor, fish finder, pfd's, alternate propulsion, lots of poles and gear, capable of being carried and launched by two people from a ramp or anywhere for that matter (my brother and I carried it down the side of a hill once:lol:).
I am not sure about the oregon laws to use a california boat; I have yearly fishing license for Oregon and steelhead report card; no other oregon report cards.

If I luck out and get a reservation, I'm there. If not, I just may come early and grab a remote spot, but that doesn't help me get the boat in the water unless I get it in the water before she leaves and I can keep it there while she is gone, sitting at the shoreline. I have not been able to find out how close the camping is to the lake.

I have not completed the poll.

Am I crazy or can this work? and don't be afraid to tell me I'm crazy, I already know that anyway.

If you can indeed make it and are w/o a secured camp site I will scamper over to the Cove Creek campground (FCFS) and secure a site for you prior to our arrival. We would love to have you there.

O
OnTheFly
You're crazy allright....about fishing that is

You're crazy allright....about fishing that is

Hoover campgrond is down the Santiam arm of Detroit and is first come first serve and it's nice! There is an exellent boat ramp there also. And for Saturday night potluck, I'll bet you could pull right up onto the beach.

F
fishnquest
FishFinger said:
If you can indeed make it and are w/o a secured camp site I will scamper over to the Cove Creek campground (FCFS) and secure a site for you prior to our arrival. We would love to have you there.

We can indeed make it (me there; B in portland). I did not know what FCFS means. If you can help me secure something, thank you. I do not have much faith in securing a campsite at this late hour, but I will keep checking. How close is the camp to the water? I would love to meet all of you and it sounds like a fantastic weekend. Fishing contest, bragging rights, community potluck, all the rest, I'm in. I'll do the poll within a couple days if I can get this ironed out. TY.
Dale

F
fishnquest
OnTheFly said:
Hoover campgrond is down the Santiam arm of Detroit and is first come first serve and it's nice! There is an exellent boat ramp there also. And for Saturday night potluck, I'll bet you could pull right up onto the beach.

That sounds great. I can come early to a firstcomefirstserve camp; thats nothing new for me. As for Saturday night, If you are wrong, it will be a lonely night for me.

O
OnTheFly
fishnquest said:
That sounds great. I can come early to a firstcomefirstserve camp; thats nothing new for me. As for Saturday night, If you are wrong, it will be a lonely night for me.

FF and I talked about an Iwo Jima (twenty thousand fishermen)style beach landing at his two site beachfront location. I think it will work:think: If not I'll shuttle you over.

Last edited:
A
autofisher
No worries

No worries

Even if you can't get a campsite right on the water, one thing I've learned is that the people on this forum treat eachother like family and if it means hoppin in a car and shuttling you over Saturday night. Then we'll get it done. Just get your ducks in a row and I'm sure that one way or another it'll all work out.

F
fishnquest
Great! Its official. I'm going to be there. I'll have everything except ground transportation (well, except a bicycle). I'll be at Hoover campground Wednesday 8/12, late afternoon, maybe even earlier.:dance::yay:

A
autofisher
Right on!!

Right on!!

Look forward to seeing you there. I can't wait. It's gonna be a great time.

F
fishnquest
I see 19 coming. Is it wrong to ask who those are? I'm just getting excited about who I get to see...:dance::clap::yay:
I see 12 through the thread. never mind, I guess..

Last edited:
F
fishnquest
ninja2010 said:
okay, with the fish OFF just round the corner, i need to ask for some help here... i have no idea what to expect, what to bring, etc. - related to the fishing. :think:

what will everyone be fishing for? i've never fished for trout and i wouldn't even know if a kokanee smacks me in the face... :confused::(

is steelhead gear too heavy? what about bass gear?

i know i can probably go to a tackle shop, ask these questions and walk out with gobs of STUFF... but i'm going broke, and i don't think i'll be doing much lake fishing anyways, so i figured some of you peeps might want to suggest how i should go about preparing for this trip.

thanks.

I have extra trout fishing gear; rods/reels and tackle. You don't have a problem. looking forward to seeing you.

A
autofisher
Boat

Boat

Ok, so I can't help but feel responsible for Raincatcher's boat not being finished in time for the fish OFF. There is only a little bit of work left to be done, but with my leg looking like Barney the dinosaur bled on the back of it (there's a pic in the other section not pertaining to fishing labeled in need of a face lift) I don't think that I'm going to be able to finish the project this week and have it cured in time for the event. Any one have a spare spot on thier boat for her? Maybe me? lol.

F
fishnquest
OnTheFly said:
If you are still trying to get a campsite at Detroit Lake for the fish-off there is still hope. Get on the website below and check availability and do it daily!!! We confermed B-30 yesterday and changed to F-13 w/full hook-up today!!! You never know when someone cancels their spot. B-30 is now up for grabs as of today at 1:58pm!!!
Campground Details - Detroit Lake, Oregon - ReserveAmerica

Whoe!!! Just checked out the site again and spots in "C" and "H" Loops are available!!!

SCORE!!! I just got in! can't hardly believe it! gotta go buy a lottery ticket:yay: g29, by the boat ramp.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Good for you!

Good for you!

fishnquest;
Good for you! That is very cool,complete with hookups,no less. I will be up on Thursday. Hopefully early enough to do some fishing. Come over for a chat and coffee anytime. I will be at B26 right next to the parking lot. Looks like lots of room on the map and I love that I won't be squished in with a horde. Yours looks nice and roomy also. It will be so good to put faces with names. See you there!
Be safe.
Barb

F
fishnquest
Barb,
cool. seeuthen.
Jim,
Thanks for the link!!

N
ninja2010
fishnquest said:
I have extra trout fishing gear; rods/reels and tackle. You don't have a problem. looking forward to seeing you.

thanks, man. i'll bring my bass gear, and maybe some kastmasters... and the rest i may have to bum OFF of you. :D

seeya there.

I
Indifisher
I'm in

I'm in

Count me in. I just got the time off approved from work, (and the wife). I am bringing my boat, a 14ft Lowe Aluminum with a 15hp engine and downriggers. I will show up Thursday and try my luck for one of the first come first serve sites. There are now 20 primitive camp sites on the island as well. I am planning to stay through Saturday night, for the pot luck. Looking forward to meeting you all.
Jason