Walter Wirth/Walling

T
tongo
don't even waste your time, very high water and muddy

F
Fish Dawgs
I went to walter on Wednesday and Friday and had no luck accept a huge bite that took my hook right off my line.
It's ok fishing if you are willing to put in the time.
All you use is a bright powerbait and sink that sucker to the bottom.

Last edited:
18406ej
18406ej
Spent several hours at Walter today, with no luck fishing from either side. I spoke to a lot of fellow anglers who reported the same. I think the fish have all escaped via the high-water runoff points on the North side. Thought about taking the tube out, but there was aready one man out in a boat, and he didn't look to be doing any better than those of us on the shore. I think next time I will start out with the tube, and then move to the shore if that doesn't pan out.

Still, had a good time out in the sun.

F
Fish Dawgs
If you go out In your tubetell me if you catch anything because I have one too.
Thanks

18406ej
18406ej
OK- Should be Monday or Tuesday when I go back out.

F
Fish Dawgs
Are you going to fly fish

R
rainbowfisherman
do you think it is just to murky forthe fish to see anything

C
c_13_b
muddy water...

muddy water...

I think muddy waters definitely make the sight distance a lot shorter, therefore, use bigger, brighter baits. If I fish when waters are very high and murky I do this.

Where are these lakes you speak of anyways? I don't think I have ever been to them.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Walter or Mill Creek?

Walter or Mill Creek?

c_13_b said:
I think muddy waters definitely make the sight distance a lot shorter, therefore, use bigger, brighter baits. If I fish when waters are very high and murky I do this.

Where are these lakes you speak of anyways? I don't think I have ever been to them.

If you follow the water up over the bridge and to the far left corner of the parking lot, you will see what appears to be a lake. I am not sure that is what it is,though. It may be a continuation of Walter or it may even be part of MIll Creek. Anyone know for sure? Guess I could stop by ODFW on State St. and ask. If you do go over the bridge BE CAREFUL!! It is definitely a soggy bottom situation that calls for good waterproof boots.
Barb

18406ej
18406ej
Fish Dawgs said:
Are you going to fly fish

I am going to try everything!

18406ej
18406ej
c_13_b said:

I agree with you on the big and bright bait selection.

Walter Wirth Lake is in the Cascade Gateway Park, which is one block South of the Salem Airport Walmart.

S
Smokey McFisher
Raincatcher said:
If you follow the water up over the bridge and to the far left corner of the parking lot, you will see what appears to be a lake. I am not sure that is what it is,though. It may be a continuation of Walter or it may even be part of MIll Creek. Anyone know for sure? Guess I could stop by ODFW on State St. and ask. If you do go over the bridge BE CAREFUL!! It is definitely a soggy bottom situation that calls for good waterproof boots.
Barb

that area over the bridge to the left is indeed another pond, although they dont put any trout in there, there are a number of LARGE bass. i have pulled a 3 and 4 pound LM bass out of there in the same day on worm and clear bobber. just watch out, there are a lot of weeds to deal with in the water and its not very deep, well it wasn't before flooding.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Thanks Smokey for confirming my suspicions about that lil pond. I could almost feel the bass.
Barb

18406ej
18406ej
Nada

Nada

Well I had no luck today, but I did see a good 32 incher landed, and saw another jumping. The lake is still high and turbid, and the water temp was 42 degrees. Not sure what happened to the numerous smaller trout that were deposited in the pond...

F
fishy4
is the river under the bridge fishable?
or for that fact have any fish?

G
Gramps
18406ej said:
Not sure what happened to the numerous smaller trout that were deposited in the pond...
Not sure about Walter Wirth or Walling but the cormorants took more than share at JCP

C
chris61182
fishy4 said:
is the river under the bridge fishable?
or for that fact have any fish?

Mill creek is not open for another 4 months or so, but I wouldn't be surprised to find trout in there when it does.

L
Lono Brook
I've been to Walling and Wirth many times in winter. Wirth is always muddy and I almost never see fish caught. I wonder if the creek foods into it frequently?
Walling has been more successful for me. The best winter method has been a half-worm about 2-3 feet under a bobber. Try fishing near and far from the bank. Some are quite close in, especially on the far end. Fish sometimes migrate into the lower pond area also. PB can also catch fish, but usually the smaller stockers.
Try stinky gel on your weights or bobber, helps in winter. Good luck!

18406ej
18406ej
Thanks for the tips, Lono- Welcome to OFF!

F
Fisherman.Z.
From My Experience

From My Experience

at walter wirth i have caught tons of trout on green power bait. and the last time i went there to fish mill creek i ended up just going into the pond and fly fishing... i caught 10 fish that day on my fly rod, and my buddy caught 2 (he was mad at me...hahaha :lol: ) any fly works pretty well there. and in the creek i have caught only 2, one on a blood worm fly that i tied myself, and another on a caddis. i have had them strike at a bumble bee fly though. i just wasn't fast enough to catch them... that was all right under the bridge.

at walter wirth, i usually just fish for bass, but i have caught trout there on a floating rapala, a crawdad crank bait, they really like spoons, and corn flavored or cheese flavored powerbait. they arent picky at that pond.
(if you try bass fishing there use a yum crawbug, or a yum dinger both weedless texas rigged. yum baits are made to be rigged weedlessly AWESOME... they work well) :D