Walter Wirth/Walling

D
DethanB
SDK said:
I took a page out of the Salmon book and rigged a 1/2 oz sliding bobber rig up with some 4lb flourocarbon leader and a bait hook.

Where might I get this book, or at least an example on the internet?

SDK said:
I have been absolutely murdering them with a small Rapala "slim minnow" type topwater lure in a rainbow trout pattern.

Is there a particular brand, or what do I look for at the Sportsmans, or wherever to get a couple of these? Do they float on the surface, or do they sink? I'm an extremly new novice to this...

SDK said:
You need to get it out there pretty far and really work it slowly to keep it out over the deeper water as long as possible.

How much weight do I add to it? Thank you much for the information! Any further help would be great! (Sorry, but I'm new to this stuff)

S
SDK
Look at the color choices and click on RT (Rainbow Trout).

These guys float when still, then sink lower the faster you reel in. You want to cast it out and keep it mostly on the surface. It takes practice, but after experimenting for a bit you'll get the hang of it. Twitch and pull the rod in various ways to get it floundering around and making little dives followed by popping back up. You want it to look like a dying smolt struggling to get down. It's worth practicing because this type of surface lure action can also be deadly for bass and a lot of other fish.

Your best bet on the slip bobber rig is to hit the book section at SW, then maybe have a salesperson help you out. The bobbers are marked with what appropriate weight is used with them. You don't want the huge Salmon rigs. try 1/2 oz or 1 oz sizes. Start with the smaller one and see if you can cast it far enough. I don't know what kind of rod you have or how good you are at casting, so you may need to move up to the 1oz size. Look at the folks sitting in lawn chairs and fishing with regular bobbers. You want to try to get out about twice as far as they are, and set the bobber stop to get the bait a good 10 feet down.

It's a shame I'm completely buried and moving in three days or I'd just meet you there and show you, but I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Good luck!
Scott

R
rainbowfisherman
i just got back from there i cought two nice rainbow trout and a small catfish. I was near the front of the lake were its rounded.

18406ej
18406ej
You should have posted that you were going out. I was at Walter Wirth from about 6:30 to 10:30. I was the one fly fishing from the water intake. Lots of fish, but nothing over 9". Next time we should go out together and do some real damage.

R
rainbowfisherman
You Cought Nmostly Rainbow What About You

18406ej
18406ej
I caught all Rainbow, but I did see someone hauling in what looked like a LM Bass from the weedy side of the lake.

18406ej
18406ej
Fresh Fish

Fresh Fish

It is not on the stocking schedule, but ODFW is reporting that they will be stocking Walter Wirth and Walling Pond this week. I was out at Walter Wirth today, and had a great time in my float tube, even though the wind was making it hard to stay in one place. For some stupid reason I decided to leave my anchor on shore...

T
tongo
Get Ready For Some Brooders!!!!

D
DethanB
tongo said:
Get Ready For Some Brooders!!!!

Can someone point me to the Stocking Schedule?

T
tongo
hey the brooders are not listed in the stocking schedules. You will have to check the weekly recreation reports to know if brooders were stocked or not. They usually stock some brooders at JCP and Walter wirth every winter. Oh and also they just recently stocked some 7-15 pound steelhead at JCP.

D
DethanB
tongo said:
hey the brooders are not listed in the stocking schedules. You will have to check the weekly recreation reports to know if brooders were stocked or not. They usually stock some brooders at JCP and Walter wirth every winter. Oh and also they just recently stocked some 7-15 pound steelhead at JCP.

I'll have to find out where JCP is and maybe go there too. Thanks for the info... WE both have our steelhead tags, so that will work.

C
chris61182
DethanB said:
I'll have to find out where JCP is and maybe go there too. Thanks for the info... WE both have our steelhead tags, so that will work.

No steelhead tags necessary for when they're stocked in the ponds.

D
DethanB
I'm an idiot!

I'm an idiot!

Okay, I've come to the conclusion I'm an idiot! I went fishing this weekend at Walter Wirth with my son. People were reeling in fish all around me. There was an asian couple next to me that was bringing one in every few minutes. Everyone else was reeling fish in around me too. I got a few strikes, but couldn't get one hooked up?!

The asians next to me felt sorry for me or something and gave me one of their fish as they were leaving... I felt bad as my son didn't catch anything either. The asian guy, bless his heart, tried to show me how to rig the pole, where to cast it, and what to watch for with just hand signs (he didn't speak english). I did everything he said and got a few nibbles, but I couldn't catch anything...

I'm going to give it a go again my next chance I get and see if I can't do any better. Any pointers on how to "hook" those little suckers?

L
lowjack
if you want to go there sometime soon I'll show you how to do it. I use potskes, powerbait trout nibbles in orange and green (i've caught trout there on ever color) BUT i dribble a little Mike's shrimp oil on every cast. enough weight to sink it and the warmer the water, the shorter the leader. I'd use about 12-15" of leader right now.
Cast out about 30 feet (there's a shelf about 30' from the cement pier on the north side) and as your bait is sinking reel in your line so that it's it goes straight from your rod in a line to your bait. soon as that rod tips, YANK it. Fish

if you want to go after thanks giving pm me your number and we can meet-up there

T
tongo
hey dethan next time you go try a small spinner like a panther or blue fox and also kastmasters. Just cast and reel and you should get a bite.

F
fish finder
jkeek9 said:
ive only been to these two places once each and havent had any luck at all :confused:.
does anyone have any tips or advice?
itd be much appreciated.
im heading down to one of those places tomorrow or sunday :dance:

well i heard it got stocked butt im not for sure cuz my friends had nooooooooooooooo luck at all

18406ej
18406ej
I'm not surprised- the poor fish are probably out of sorts from the high waters

R
rainbowfisherman
made it to walter not very many fish for not even a bite for me.

18406ej
18406ej
I am going out to Walter tomorrow to give it a shot- was the water still high?

R
rainbowfisherman
yes