Walter Wirth/Walling

C
chris61182
DethanB said:
I'll have to catch a few more before I try my luck on one. Currently I've only caught "One" which isn't much to practice on?! I'm really hoping the boy catches one in the next couple of weeks to keep his interest in it!

Well there's always the trout pond at the Sportsmans show this week!


I'll have to look these up and give them a try. Are these stocked as well by ODFW? :think:

E.E. Wilson is stocked very heavily. As for Mercer, it's not listed on the stocking schedule but there are a lot of bodies of water not on the stocking schedule which do in fact receive fish.
 
D
DethanB
chris61182 said:
Well there's always the trout pond at the Sportsmans show this week!

Unfortunately I work this weekend (Of course). So we'll have to wait for the next one. I really wanted to go to this one too!!!


chris61182 said:
E.E. Wilson is stocked very heavily. As for Mercer, it's not listed on the stocking schedule but there are a lot of bodies of water not on the stocking schedule which do in fact receive fish.

Really?! Why don't they publish all of the places they stock? That seems like a waste of tax payer/licensee fee's! Sometimes, I really can't stand government (and I work for them too, sigh).
 
C
chris61182
DethanB said:
Really?! Why don't they publish all of the places they stock? That seems like a waste of tax payer/licensee fee's! Sometimes, I really can't stand government (and I work for them too, sigh).

I can only guess that the non-published lakes aren't quite intended to be the same type of put-and-take that the published ones are, while still offering an enhanced opportunities for those who are trying to avoid the crowds.

Though the best way to get the correct answer would probably be call the nearest ODFW office and just ask.
 
J
Jmiddlestadt
Headed to Walter Wirth Thismorning...

Headed to Walter Wirth Thismorning...

Hey Everyone, just stumbled onto this forum and it's EXACTLY what i've been looking for! People to share my secrets and hot spots with, and people who are willing to return the favor. It's what the sport is all about!:clap:

That being said, I've caught my fair share of fish out of Walter Wirth. Countless trout, all without the use of power bait:dance: (personally can't stand the stuff, its just too messy! haha) and only one Brood Stock:confused: . I haven't been there since last year, once it warms up in the late spiring, people for some strange reason think its a good idea to go SWIMMING in that water:naughty:

Anyhow What has ALWAYS worked for me is the 1/6 oz. Fire Tiger pattern rooster tail, and black is always a good choice. When fishing using the bubble float and fly, i use about a 4-5 ft leader with a olive wooly bugger, or Hares-ear nymph.

Got the Brood Stock on the Fire Tiger Rooster Tail on a sunny late winter day. l_c8d0a3d717045f657f424a0fb3a2bd68.png

Hope i'm able to help some of you in your fishing adventures, as well as learn all that I can from others!

I'll let you know how i do when i get home tonight!
 
C
chris61182
Jmiddlestadt said:
Anyhow What has ALWAYS worked for me is the 1/6 oz. Fire Tiger pattern rooster tail, and black is always a good choice.

I'll second that black spinners are awesome, though I tend to go a little larger when fishing Green Peter, usually a 3/8oz. And your mention of fire tiger has me intrigued, I'll have to check my tackle box when I get home and see if I've got one in that color, I bet I've got every color but that. And that would mean only one thing, it's time to go shopping!
 
J
JTLunker
welcome to the site J! Glad to have another person who will share some posts with us. Have fun.
 
J
Jmiddlestadt
Ended up not even fishing toaday :rolleyes: the wind was blowing like crazy, and it was COLD! haha. I really only went up to Salem today to file my taxes, and thought i'd get my line wet. Figured i'd pass on the frost bite
today. Didn't look too promising, all the ducks and geese were haning around where i usually fish, there were the 2 retired guys sittin there plunking. They were'nt doing any good either. If people aren't catching fish with power bait, it's not gonna be good for anyone! :lol:

It's nice to hear that other people here fish Green Peter and Detroit!, and
I agree with the 3/8 up at the reservoirs Chris. :clap:

I've got some pretty good techniques for both places, if anyone is interested let me know, i'll post in those forums sooner than later if anyone plans on heading up into the snow anytime soon. :D I thought about goin up to Green Peter some time next week and taking the boat out...:think: We'll see!


Thanks for the warm welcome to the forum guys, i plan on spending a lot of time in here in the future!:)
 
Troutski
Troutski
Welcome to OFF

Welcome to OFF

We can all ways use another member reporting on Greenpeter...lets not forget Foster, I have it on great authority that there are Walleyes in that little jewel. One thing about Greenpeter, the first time I went up there I was so excited to start exploring the place I forgot to take stock on a land mark or mark the arm with a way point......well lets just say that lake has a ton of arms that look exactly alike :redface: . Great lake to explore, lots of neat water and places to get off to yourself. In the afternoon we will find one of those arms and hunker down and bobber fish or plunk....when the wind drops in the late afternoon...back to trolling. Very nice fishery especially in the Spring, if your into Kokes and Trout.
Bass in the summer along with Brim,Crappie.

Chuck
 
T
trollin4trout
hahahahahah- Chuck- on the lost arms at Green Peter!!!!!!!!!

I have a habit of coming back in the dark to first time ramps! First time at GP- turned in the first one that looked like where I came from- nope- out and around the corner to the next arm-nope- next one- OK-finally- pitch dark now!!!!

Last time at GP- I was watching out for the darkness this time- before sunset we fished straight across from the Thistle Creek Arm, so we could be right at the ramp at dark.:dance: I'm so smart and prepared, planning ahead and all. Last legal fishing minute arrives and we head across-:naughty:
FOOLED AGAIN!!!! Could've swore that was the one- actually did swear when it wasn't!! One arm away again- it's all fun- twilight-dark is the greatest time on the water- the spotlight sure gets lots of action on my boat!!!

Making me want to get back there again..........
 
C
chris61182
Troutski, I too have heard the stories about walleye in Foster, but I just don't believe them (yet). There's no reason walleyes wouldn't survive there, odds are they'd actually thrive, but someone would have to have played bucket biologist for them to get there. Which while not unlikely, I think a far more likely possibility is that the angler misidentified another species of fish as a walleye. Perch being the most likely suspect, and I've even heard of smallmouths and pikeminnow being misidentified as walleye, or conversely smallmouths and walleye as pikeminnow.

trollin4trout, you didn't happen to be out after dark on GP mid/late November this year? If so there's a chance we missed meeting by like 10 minutes. The last time I was out there, it had gotten really excruciatingly dark and there was still a truck+trailer at the ramp, and as we were driving away I spotted the boat slowly making its way towards the ramp with its spot light on. And of course if it wasn't one of you guys, there are definitely others who have the same thing happen.
 
Troutski
Troutski
Bucket Biologist

Bucket Biologist

As far as the Walleye being in any body of water on the western slope goes; it would likely be a bucket Biologist. Last spring when they drained Lookout Point Res. on the upper middle fork of the Willamette, above two dams neither with a fish ladder (yearly flood control drain) ODFW did a fish sampling in one of the larger pools that be came land locked. Guess what they found...? Yep, WALLEYE go figure how could this possibly happen. They wouldn't believe any of the stories about that lake earlier. Funny how the bucket biologist gets around. They also (ODFW) found a German Brown Trout in the upper reaches of the McKenzie river, busy people those bucket guys. Wonder where they get their funding ;)

Chuck
 
T
trollin4trout
chris61182 said:
trollin4trout, you didn't happen to be out after dark on GP mid/late November this year? If so there's a chance we missed meeting by like 10 minutes. The last time I was out there, it had gotten really excruciatingly dark and there was still a truck+trailer at the ramp, and as we were driving away I spotted the boat slowly making its way towards the ramp with its spot light on. And of course if it wasn't one of you guys, there are definitely others who have the same thing happen.


I don't think I was there at that time. However if the truck was a red Nissan with an Ifish sticker on it- then I'm mistaken!
 
C
chris61182
trollin4trout said:
I don't think I was there at that time. However if the truck was a red Nissan with an Ifish sticker on it- then I'm mistaken!

Unfortunately I really just can't remember details like that from so far back, not to mention there are so many red trucks with trailers there on any given day.
 
C
chris61182
I only find the report dubious because of the difficulty many anglers have in identifying their catch. And the thread in which I read about the Foster walleye there was also talk about catching walleye on flies in the Willamette in Salem, in the middle of the day during the summer, and you don't think they're misidentifying something a bit more common and mundane, say a pikeminnow or smally?

But I agree, there's nothing stopping them from ending up in there. But until there is any frequency to the reports I'm still inclined to lean towards misidentification.




Troutski said:
As far as the Walleye being in any body of water on the western slope goes; it would likely be a bucket Biologist. Last spring when they drained Lookout Point Res. on the upper middle fork of the Willamette, above two dams neither with a fish ladder (yearly flood control drain) ODFW did a fish sampling in one of the larger pools that be came land locked. Guess what they found...? Yep, WALLEYE go figure how could this possibly happen. They wouldn't believe any of the stories about that lake earlier. Funny how the bucket biologist gets around. They also (ODFW) found a German Brown Trout in the upper reaches of the McKenzie river, busy people those bucket guys. Wonder where they get their funding ;)

Chuck
 
D
DethanB
Jmiddlestadt said:
Anyhow What has ALWAYS worked for me is the 1/6 oz. Fire Tiger pattern rooster tail, and black is always a good choice.

The other day when I was at Walter Wirth, the first cast into the lake I hooked the 12 inch trout. I was using a Rooster Tail (Silver Spoon and Body with a black tail). Is that what you folks are referring to as "Black?"

Jmiddlestadt said:
When fishing using the bubble float and fly, i use about a 4-5 ft leader with a olive wooly bugger, or Hares-ear nymph.

I'm going to give this a try the next time I can get to Walter Wirth.

Has anyone had any luck at Walling Pond? Everytime I stop by there the same three guys are there and I don't see them catching any fish? Is there a better system to use at Walling Pond?

You all have a great day!!
 
C
chris61182
DethanB said:
The other day when I was at Walter Wirth, the first cast into the lake I hooked the 12 inch trout. I was using a Rooster Tail (Silver Spoon and Body with a black tail). Is that what you folks are referring to as "Black?"

Yeah, when it comes to spinners we'll usually be referring to the body color, with the blades being either silver or bronze colored. Thats not to say there's anything wrong with painted blades they just tend to be more expensive.
 
J
Jmiddlestadt
DethanB said:
The other day when I was at Walter Wirth, the first cast into the lake I hooked the 12 inch trout. I was using a Rooster Tail (Silver Spoon and Body with a black tail). Is that what you folks are referring to as "Black?"



I'm going to give this a try the next time I can get to Walter Wirth.

Has anyone had any luck at Walling Pond? Everytime I stop by there the same three guys are there and I don't see them catching any fish? Is there a better system to use at Walling Pond?

You all have a great day!!


Must say that the only thing i've managed to catch out of Walling Pond is Largemouth Bass in the spring and summer. I too never see anyone catching fish from there. it's still a mystery to me! haha

I agree with Chris on the Body Color, and Blade color. when we mention a color it's usually the body of the lure/bait of topic.
 
J
Jmiddlestadt
Too much fun!

Too much fun!

:clap: :lol: LOVE the stories of the many Arms of Green Peter! HAHA! I myself have been there. Went through about 3/4 a tank of fuel just exploring one day. All kinds of cool things out there! I never thought of pulling into an arm to avoid the wind. I usually just keep on trollin and fighting the wind. Like your idea of hunkering down MUCH better!:clap: guess you have to be smarter that than the wind!:dance: haha. I haven't fished Foster much. I've bank fished on the way back from Thistle Creek Ramp at the Campground docks for LargeMouth. Did pretty good. There are just so many recreational crafts in the water, it can be annoying at times. I was thinking of hitting it hard this year though.


I've actually got a storie for you......I took my Mother out fishing last summer, we trolled out towards the floating restrooms, and she said she would like to stop. We did, next thing i hear is JOSHUA!!!!:shock: I jumped out of the boat on to the dock, and asked what was wrong, :think: Come to find out, the handle was broken, and she couldn't get out!!!:lol: Could you imagine if you were out on a solo trip, and used the bathroom, only to find you were stuck!? I'd be a little upset! HA HA HA luckily it opened from the outside and all was well. We got a good laugh out of it after she was back on the boat.:lol: :lol: :clap: :dance:
 
D
DethanB
Okay, so spinners are either Silver or Copper. When you say "Body Color" that would be between the spinner and hook. Does this also include the tail where they add (fluff) on the end of Rooster Tails?
 
18406ej
18406ej
I have had ok luck in the past at Walling Pond- that is where I caught my first brooder. Try working as far to the Southeast side as you can, and if it is possible to get through the blackberry vines, make your way to the back pond. I have had good luck there too.
 

Similar threads

Zakaster
Replies
21
Views
3K
DonF
D
bass
Replies
8
Views
1K
bass
bass
F
Replies
2
Views
950
O. mykiss
O. mykiss
O
Replies
9
Views
2K
Davpot
D
Top Bottom