Walter Wirth/Walling

C
chris61182
DethanB said:
Okay, so spinners are either Silver or Copper. When you say "Body Color" that would be between the spinner and hook. Does this also include the tail where they add (fluff) on the end of Rooster Tails?

The body color usually includes the body and the dressing/tail/fluff. So it might be listed as black-red for a black body and red tail, but there's no real standardization as to the naming.

J
jvc7
Green peter is always fun! i usually trolling it with finders and a wedding ring around the island and do pretty well. Ive heard of people bobber fishing in the arms and jigging by the dam. how is that?

J
Jmiddlestadt
DethanB said:
Okay, so spinners are either Silver or Copper. When you say "Body Color" that would be between the spinner and hook. Does this also include the tail where they add (fluff) on the end of Rooster Tails?

Silver or gold is the spoon/blade color. The body color is the painted lead lead part between the spoon and the hook, the "fluff" at the end usually corisponds with the body color in some way. So I say i am using a black spinner/rooster tail, i mean a black body/and "fluff" which usually has a silver spoon. ;)

J
Jmiddlestadt
jvc7 said:
Green peter is always fun! i usually trolling it with finders and a wedding ring around the island and do pretty well. Ive heard of people bobber fishing in the arms and jigging by the dam. how is that?

Jiggin at the damn can be a lot of fun!:D but usually i have a fish finder, to let me know if there is anything down there.;) Sometimes they just are holding where the debris barrier (black plastic barrels that keep people and logs and junk from collecting at the dam it self) anyhow, depending on how the wind is blowing, fishing can be great, usually when the wind is out of the east, and pushing the barrier towards the dam, fishing is HOT. but when the wind changes direction later in the day, and it's pulled away from the dam, fishing can be spotty. Thats just my expierences up there. I'm sure it's different day to day though. It's always worth a shot though!:dance:

Haven't bobber fished in the arms however, i usually am too busy trolling. hehhe.

D
DethanB
18406ej said:
I have had ok luck in the past at Walling Pond- that is where I caught my first brooder. Try working as far to the Southeast side as you can, and if it is possible to get through the blackberry vines, make your way to the back pond. I have had good luck there too.
\

Hahahaha... I never knew there was a "second" pond there. I just pulled it up on Google Maps, and sure enough they show a second pond there. I had worked my way around to the south the other day and fished that area for a bit, but absolutely nothing hit. Not a single strike. Of course I was having problems with my Reel as well.

My son and I will have to go back over there this next week and see if we can get back to the second pond. Do they stock the second pond, or just the front one? What would be in the second pond? Bass, Crappie, and Sunfish? Any Trout in there?

Which brings up another question probably geared for anothe thread. What do I change in lures to fish for these other fish? Is it still the same setup as Trout, or do I use different stuff?

18406ej
18406ej
In regard to the second pond at Walling, it is not really separate, rather it is joined to the main pond by a wide opening. The back pond is where the water comes in, and the front pond is where it drains out. Whatever is in the main pond in the way of fish is in the back pond as well. The stocking point where they empty the truck is at the West end of the main pond, but I have caught plenty of stockers in the back, so I know they are swimming from one end of the pond to the other.

See the thread "Your Spot at Walling" for more info on the back pond.

Last edited:
C
chris61182
DethanB said:
What would be in the second pond? Bass, Crappie, and Sunfish? Any Trout in there?

Which brings up another question probably geared for anothe thread. What do I change in lures to fish for these other fish? Is it still the same setup as Trout, or do I use different stuff?

That would be part of the hidden beauty in the lures that I use, they work for everything!

Troutski
Troutski
Great...

Great...

jvc7 said:

Wonderful.....and you get a break from the wind. Not to mention - TROUT !

Chuck

F
flippinbaits
DethanB said:
\

my passion is bass fishing. bass like other lures compared to trout. However, some do cross over. You can catch bass on rooster tails, night crawlers, and spoons.

D
DethanB
See the thread "Your Spot at Walling" for more info on the back pond.

I've got another window open, and I'll read it here in just second... Thank you!

J
jc2it
Stock schedule

Stock schedule

I was reading through the stock schedule for this week and it looks like Walter Wirth and Walling pond are both being stocked this week.

Stock Schedule

D
DethanB
I haven't had time lately to get to either Walter Wirth, or Walling. With the lower water levels and continued stocking, has the fishing been better there?

I went the other day on the Nestucca and caught about a 9-10 pound native. First time ever steelhead fishing.

J
jc2it
DethanB said:
We are looking to get into Fishing this
year as a Father and Son hobby!

I think that is great. As a new Father and once a son that went fishing a lot, can I make a suggestion? Try to go places you know you will catch some fish. At least every other time. Also, make sure he is not hungry, and tired. Always take a pillow, blanket, and a Picnic lunch. My dad is an endurance fisherman, which on a bad day (cold, rainy, fish are not biting, etc...) can be torture. I still enjoy going with him, but I make sure I prepare for the long haul, just in case... :D

Troutski
Troutski
Father and Son

Father and Son

jc2it said:
I think that is great. As a new Father and once a son that went fishing a lot, can I make a suggestion? Try to go places you know you will catch some fish. At least every other time. Also, make sure he is not hungry, and tired. Always take a pillow, blanket, and a Picnic lunch. My dad is an endurance fisherman, which on a bad day (cold, rainy, fish are not biting, etc...) can be torture. I still enjoy going with him, but I make sure I prepare for the long haul, just in case... :D

As a father and having a son that fishes let me suggest one more thing....NO I repeat NO sugar in the boat, that includes soda....man don't even go there.:)

Chuck

D
DethanB
Anyone Fishing these Ponds?

Anyone Fishing these Ponds?

G'day all,

Well, after a bunch of family drama, surgery and so forth, I'm ready to start fishing again. Has anyone been fishing Walter Wirth, or Walling pond lately? If so, does anyone have any pointers on what's working this time of the year?

Also, anything else within reasonable driving distance that is good right now?

C
chris61182
Hey Dethan, I was wondering what happened to you. Anyways I would expect that the trout fishing in the small valley ponds is pretty much done until they start stocking again either in the fall or spring. Though what that usually means is that there are tons of bass and bluegill around to have fun with.

If you're looking for trout you'll probably want to look towards the mountains, whether that's streams or lakes; N. Santiam, Detroit, way upstream Luckiamute or Yamhill just to name a few in your general vicinity.

D
DethanB
chris61182 said:
If you're looking for trout you'll probably want to look towards the mountains, whether that's streams or lakes; N. Santiam, Detroit, way upstream Luckiamute or Yamhill just to name a few in your general vicinity.

Right on... Not sure what I'm looking for. We are still trying to get my boy to catch his first fish this year (partly my problem for having so many other issues to deal with) :( Is there a better place than others for him? Any type of fish will work, Bass, Bluegill, Crappie, or Trout. I just want him to catch one or two this year to peak his interest in it....

C
chris61182
DethanB said:
Right on... Not sure what I'm looking for. We are still trying to get my boy to catch his first fish this year (partly my problem for having so many other issues to deal with) :( Is there a better place than others for him? Any type of fish will work, Bass, Bluegill, Crappie, or Trout. I just want him to catch one or two this year to peak his interest in it....

You might trying looking for bluegills in any holes or pockets in the weeds at Walter Wirth or Walling ponds. All you should need is a tiny hook, though I prefer a 1/16oz jig head or smaller, and you can tip it with what ever you can find handy; ants, night crawlers, meal worms, crickets, grasshoppers, or even small plastic worms.

Let us know how the fishing goes.

D
DethanB
chris61182 said:
You might trying looking for bluegills in any holes or pockets in the weeds at Walter Wirth or Walling ponds. All you should need is a tiny hook, though I prefer a 1/16oz jig head or smaller, and you can tip it with what ever you can find handy; ants, night crawlers, meal worms, crickets, grasshoppers, or even small plastic worms.

Let us know how the fishing goes.

Right on, I'll give it a try. I'll let you know what we find (if anything)...

S
SDK
Hey Bud- I've been doing OK the last couple of weeks at Walling. There are still trout in there, you just have to work a bit harder for them.

I've been watching everyone bobber fishing near shore there lately and have yet to see a single person even get a nibble. I took a page out of the Salmon book and rigged a 1/2 oz sliding bobber rig up with some 4lb flourocarbon leader and a bait hook. I pull the bobber stop up enough to get that bait way down there. You also need enough weight to really fling that sucker out into the deep water.

Try the deep bobber later in the afternoon. As soon as the Sun goes down, and I start to see fish jumping, I have been absolutely murdering them with a small Rapala "slim minnow" type topwater lure in a rainbow trout pattern. You need to get it out there pretty far and really work it slowly to keep it out over the deeper water as long as possible.

Good luck!
Scott