Steelhead fishing the lower Deschutes.

T
Troutslayerjenn
I am itching to go steelhead fishing but not sure if now is a good time or not to try out the lower deschutes. Has anyone had any luck?

C
ChezJfrey
I've not been yet this year, but even though the lower D is typically better for steelhead in August, September and October, there are usually some fish to be caught in July. Become a report maker...get out there and give it a shot! :)

Eight years worth of most recent ODFW tag reports for D below Sherar during the month of July:

T
Troutslayerjenn
Thanks ChezJfrey.

I'm really hoping this will be my year for my very first steelhead. I was planning on going anyway since the weather is looking good...just wanted to see if anyone else is having any luck.

Will report back about my big catch [emoji6]

C
ChezJfrey
Troutslayerjenn said:
Thanks ChezJfrey.

I'm really hoping this will be my year for my very first steelhead. I was planning on going anyway since the weather is looking good...just wanted to see if anyone else is having any luck.

Will report back about my big catch [emoji6]

We will be waiting to hear about your first!

Oh, and keep in mind...that, "Oh this low 80s weather is so pleasant," out here in the valley becomes, "OMG I'm gonna die!" brutal out there on the D, LOL

And this is coming from a guy that spent his childhood in the Riverside desert of So. Cal., in triple digit summer days...go figure. Just goes to show what a few decades in the Portland area will do to transform a hardy young kid into a delicate Oregon flower that wilts in just a tiny bit of sunshine ;)

troutdude
troutdude
Good luck TSJ. Fingers crossed!

C
ChezJfrey
OK, new news...talked to a guy I know and he knows some guys that are starting to catch 'em on the D...just sayin'

M
Modest_Man
ChezJfrey said:
Oh, and keep in mind...that, "Oh this low 80s weather is so pleasant," out here in the valley becomes, "OMG I'm gonna die!" brutal out there on the D, LOL

The same could be said for the fish, literally. Be careful with the water temps out there guys.

C
ChezJfrey
Modest_Man said:
The same could be said for the fish, literally. Be careful with the water temps out there guys.

To clarify what I think Modest_Man is getting at, for anyone unaware, is that one may potentially be hooking into a fair number of unclipped steelhead that must be released (not much an issue on a river like the Clack or some such during this time of year). Warm water and the the stress of the fight can be lethal for steelhead.

T
tribfisherpdx
If you want to go summer steelhead fishing I've been limiting every day on sandy send me a msg my wife is trying for her first to this week she got a 22 pound chinook today tho

T
Troutslayerjenn
Dang..wish I would have seen your post earlier tribfishpdx! The Sandy would of been a heck of a lot easier than the Deschutes was.

Recap of our first summer steelhead trip.

So I still haven't caught my first steelhead but I did get a hit so at least it was something. My dad caught a small mouth bass and then got a big hit but that was about it. This was all before 9 am. After that we saw fish but nothing was biting.

Was a good hike in and a bad hike out. Way too hot to be out there for long. Talked to a guy that was at the campground and he said they caught a few but it was all before 9am. Looks like you can get em but you have to get your butt out there by first light.

Well maybe next time.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437347456.583625.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1437347473.259422.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1437347482.996536.jpg

S
SandyChrome
Hi there Tribfisherpdx, I live out in sandy. All but given up on summers. I would luv to fish you with sometime , maybe u could help me with what I am doing wrong (not catching fish) lol

Last edited:
J
Jordy
Report: I have fished the Deschutes a couple days in between work on my way out east. I've had some favorable opportunities being able to fish very early in the am. I had 2 chances both days, 1 small native on the first day and 1 dark Chinook on the second day (scary there are any dark fish anywhere below macks).

Advice: I fish the Deschutes a lot and being in the metro area I can only spend so much money on fuel. I generally spend the first week of August up there to kick off the season. That week is usually good for 1-3 chances per day.

After that I usually make a bunch of 2 day trips between mid August and October with lots of multiple fish days, or better.

That being said, the Deschutes is one of the most beautiful places in the world and a day up there will be better than most others so go enjoy it regardless of how many fish are in the river.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

S
SandyChrome
Jordy, think I could roll up there one day with you? Would be down to meet you in own vehicles, in sept we could make a day of it and try the klick maybe too!!

Last edited:
J
JonT
If you are fishing any Columbia River trib for salmon or steelhead right now, you're an unethical dick.

M
Modest_Man
JonT said:
If you are fishing any Columbia River trib for salmon or steelhead right now, you're an unethical dick.

And statements like that mean you come off like a dick, ethical or not.

Reactions: troutmasta
T
Troutslayerjenn
I didn't join this group to be called names. I think there are other ways you can get you point across without being a jerk. Maybe try and educate instead of name calling.

J
Jordy
Yeah what is that....

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
JonT said:

Modest_Man said:
And statements like that mean you come off like a dick, ethical or not.

Jordy said:
Yeah what is that....

Y'all need to cool off and stop the name calling. What it will get you is a suspension, if you don't stop. JonT and Modest_Man, you can both consider this your first official warning.

J
Jordy
I didn't say anything servant of a warning did I?

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Jordy said:
I didn't say anything servant of a warning did I?

Nope, I used your quote by mistake, but you're not named as receiving a warning.