Any of these rod/reels better than others?

D
doughpat
Hi all -

A neighbor is moving and has a half dozen spinning rods/reels he's offering me (free).

Are any of these 'decent'? Say I had to pick the best 2....which would you go with? I mostly fish for small/medium trout along small/medium rivers (Crooked River, Mckenzie, middle/upper deschutes, and smaller streams in central Oregon).

• IMG_6295.jpeg
  • IMG_6294.jpeg
  • IMG_6293.jpeg
  • IMG_6292.jpeg
  • IMG_6291.jpeg
  • IMG_6290.jpeg
  • IMG_6289.jpeg
plumbertom
plumbertom
I have one of those Shimano 2000 that I've been fishing for years.
I have it on a 6' Ugly stick, and I've likely caught more fish with that setup than any of the other dozen or so rigs that I use.

troutdude
troutdude
Chromatose
Chromatose
troutdude said:
@doughpat I do not see any pics.

TD, just click on and a slide show will magically appear.......................

N
notaspeyguy
If it was me I'd take all of them, repair/clean them up and see what you've got...keep the Shimanos, they're great and you have a 2000 (for trout) and a 4000 (for salmon or steelhead) if they're in good shape...if salmon/steelhead aren't your bag I'd keep the Shimano 2000 and the guide series one (brand ?) ....The rods could be a different story, just look at 'em close (guides, wrapping, reel seat, etc), choose the 2 longest rods to go with the reels you select ....you could try to sell or just donate the rest

plumbertom
plumbertom
The Silstar reels are of European make I believe.
I have never owned or used one of their reels.

Fummus
Fummus
My two cents would be to accept all of them if they have no use for them, then clean em up, keep ones you want and donate or sell the rest.

Reactions: SparkyofSoCal
O
Oregunner
Take the two outfits with the cork handles. Probably need new line, depending on history. The others might be a good project to clean up and keep as spares, or give to neighbor kids.

Reactions: SparkyofSoCal