Trout streams near portland?

‘TroutMaster
‘TroutMaster
I have recently gotten into flyfishing and I am looking for some streams and creeks to fish for some wild trout. Preferably closer to the coast rather than areas like the Deschutes, as I do not have waders, so larger streams are somewhat out of the question, I am now realizing this is very different then fishing power bait on a lake for a couple of hours, and don’t exactly know where i need to go to find some brook, brown, cutthroat, or rainbow trout. if you don’t want to share your secret spot on a public forum, feel free to PM me. as far as I understand, rivers, like the Wilson, trask, and Nehalem are very much exclusively, coastal cutthroat, and from what I have heard they are not really running right now. Any info is very much appreciated!

• IMG_1392.jpeg
John3
John3
. . . try the upper reaches on the North fork of Clackamas River . . .

Reactions: troutdude
‘TroutMaster
‘TroutMaster
John3 said:
. . . try the upper reaches on the North fork of Clackamas River . . .
thanks, i’ve been looking at areas around the Oak Grove Fork, but can’t really get much information for that area. do you have any idea how to reach some access points for the north fork?

John3
John3
‘TroutMaster said:
thanks, i’ve been looking at areas around the Oak Grove Fork, but can’t really get much information for that area. do you have any idea how to reach some access points for the north fork?

. . . go well above Memaloose and look for road turnout & trails . . .

Note: I haven’t there for ages and I not sure of the tweakers/car break-ins situation !
Perhaps other members will chime in.

‘TroutMaster
‘TroutMaster
John3 said:
. . . go well above Memaloose and look for road turnout & trails . . .

Note: I haven’t there for ages and I not sure of the tweakers/car break-ins situation !
Perhaps other members will chime in.
memaloose creek?

John3
John3
‘TroutMaster said:
memaloose creek?
. . . the Clackamas river proper ; North fork runs all the way to the Breitenbush river . . .

‘TroutMaster
‘TroutMaster
John3 said:
. . . the Clackamas river proper ; North fork runs all the way to the Breitenbush river . . .
got it👍. thanks so much for the tips. to me it sounds like nymphs like midges should work well? as well some caddis 🤔.

John3
John3
‘TroutMaster said:
got it👍. thanks so much for the tips. to me it sounds like nymphs like midges should work well? as well some cassis 🤔.

. . . & dont forget the small (#8 and #10) classic Muddler . . .

Reactions: troutdude
S
SnailEye
There are TONS of options. I would recommend pick a somewhat major drainage and head up river. The Clackamas is a great one that I spent most of my fishing time on this summer. In general most rivers east of Portland originate in forest service land with plenty of access the higher you go. Heading west toward the coast it is a mix of public and private forest land up in the mountains. Your more likely to run into some locked gates if your trying to get off the beaten path. The closer you are to Portland the more private land you will find limiting access. That being said, there are plenty of options all directions. I would recommend focusing less on finding that perfect spot and more on find an area you like, what kind of water do you like, what kind of fish you’re after, etc. Do that and you will find more great spots than you can ever fish.

troutdude
troutdude
Head up to Lake Harriet. The Oak Grove fork rolls out of Timothy Lake, and into Harriet. Anything with red and white works--and muddlers fo' sho' (the lake has Sculpin which Muddlers mimmick). That stretch holds browns, bows, and (I think) brookies.

On the coastal streams you're pretty much only going to find bows and cutties. Right now is a good time to go, as SRC's can be had throughout the systems. Best fly for SRC's is the Borden Special.

Reactions: ‘TroutMaster
Diehard
Diehard
There were cuttys in the east fork of the trask up to 15" over labor day weekend saw lots in the deeper pools and I believe use of bait aloud as of sept1 with a fly rod probably being a great option 👍

troutdude
troutdude
On pages 30 & 31, of the 2023 ODFW reg book...it looks, to me, like the East Trask is closed. At least if I'm reading it correctly.

Trask River (Mainstem)
The following apply to open
sections below: *
• Open all year for hatchery
steelhead.
• Open for hatchery spring
Chinook salmon Jan 1 - Jul 31.
• Open for fall Chinook salmon
Aug 1 - Dec 31. (North Coast
Wild Chinook Aggregate Bag
Limit applies).
• Use of bait allowed.