Steelhead fishing the lower Deschutes.

S
Snopro
JonT said:
If you are fishing any Columbia River trib for salmon or steelhead right now, you're an unethical dick.

What's wrong with fishing the Big White, Little White (Drano), or Hood?

J
Jordy
Snopro said:
Don't worry, there are numerous watersheds that are fishing just fine. Especially in the last couple weeks...

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

B
BaldTexan
Nothing wrong with targeting hatchery fish per the rules and regs. Go get'em!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C
coyo7e
Raincatcher said:
Nope, I used your quote by mistake, but you're not named as receiving a warning.
He got warned about getting a warning?

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
coyo7e said:
He got warned about getting a warning?
No, I accidentally included his quote...:blushing: ;)

J
JonT
Snopro said:

If you're into wading through hundreds of dead Sockeye, all three of those will suffice.

S
Snopro
Haven't seen any reds on the Hood. A few dead ones on the bank at Drano definitely don't bother me while I'm fishing from a boat. On the Big White there aren't any where I fish.

Your orignal post had nothing to do with sockeye. You were using a very broad brush to paint all Columbia trib steelheaders as unethical during the abnormal river conditions we are experiencing this season.

S
Stumpy
Caught a few last week in the early AM. One of the fish told me that the real Dick was the guy who called others a Dick. What a Dick!

J
Jordy
Oh gosh...

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Stumpy said:
Caught a few last week in the early AM. One of the fish told me that the real Dick was the guy who called others a Dick. What a Dick!
Please read the rules regarding name calling. If it happens after you read the rules, I will issue an official warning. This is not the way to start your tenure here.

hobster
hobster
I'm with JonT on this one. I wouldn't insult anyone but fishing rivers with native fish right now is wrong. The motality rate is so high as it is, they will most likely die if caught and released. I have quit fishing for trout, steelies or salmon for the summer, just doing my part to help these fish out a little. I'm not the only one either.
Once again, not judging or name calling, thats just how i feel about our precious natives. They are hurtin right now!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
hobster said:
I'm with JonT on this one. I wouldn't insult anyone but fishing rivers with native fish right now is wrong. The motality rate is so high as it is, they will most likely die if caught and released. I have quit fishing for trout, steelies or salmon for the summer, just doing my part to help these fish out a little. I'm not the only one either.
Once again, not judging or name calling, thats just how i feel about our precious natives. They are hurtin right now!

ding ding ding

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I do not disagree with the sentiment of not fishing or harassing the fish who are being killed off before they even get to their spawning area, much less being able to spawn. I just think, no, I know it would be better to educate than to attack. There are way too many smart fisher folk here to not have anyone explain why the fish will need years to recover from this terrible heat and what it is doing to the fish we all love. How many fish biologists do we have here? More than enough to explain to someone who made an honest, unthinking mistake.

S
Stumpy
Raincatcher and the group:

I apologize for taking the low road. My mother taught me two wrongs don't make a right.

When I got to post 14, I started to really feel sorry for troutslayerjenn and became quite upset with the holier-than-thou piling on. I pretty much lost control of my fingers, and lashed out on the net. As others have noted, discussing the stress factors is far better medicine than name calling---which is what I did.

If the folks at PGE would continue with the cold water release, temperatures on the lower 100 miles would be under the danger zone a lot longer during each day.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Stumpy said:
Raincatcher and the group:

I apologize for taking the low road. My mother taught me two wrongs don't make a right.

When I got to post 14, I started to really feel sorry for troutslayerjenn and became quite upset with the holier-than-thou piling on. I pretty much lost control of my fingers, and lashed out on the net. As others have noted, discussing the stress factors is far better medicine than name calling---which is what I did.

If the folks at PGE would continue with the cold water release, temperatures on the lower 100 miles would be under the danger zone a lot longer during each day.
Thank you for that, Stumpy. This time of year the forum is usually filled with stunning pictures and tales of glorious victory. This year has been hard on the fish and those who seek them. Have a great summer!

S
Snopro
Hobster, thanks for the respectful tone. I appreciate it.

I have a question for everyone, what's your number? I'm talking about temperature. From the sound of it many have a number they won't fish above for salmon and steelhead. Mine is 65°. In a high gradient system I might push that to 66°.

The point I was driving at in my first post is not all tribs flow at the same temp. To make a blanket statment that it's unethical to fish any Columbia trib because some are running hot doesn't sit right with me. For example I fished two tribs the week I posted, one was 62° the other 63°.

For those that have one, what's your number?

If you don't have one that's a whole different discussion.

C
ChezJfrey
Snopro said:

I have a question for everyone, what's your number? I'm talking about temperature. From the sound of it many have a number they won't fish above for salmon and steelhead. Mine is 65°. In a high gradient system I might push that to 66°.

The point I was driving at in my first post is not all tribs flow at the same temp. To make a blanket statment that it's unethical to fish any Columbia trib because some are running hot doesn't sit right with me. For example I fished two tribs the week I posted, one was 62° the other 63°.

I have fished as high as 65 and over the last few years, I've noticed that I have hardly any success for luring a steelhead bite above 63, so that 63F temp became my 'number'. Mostly because I don't like to go out unless I think I have a good chance of at least getting some action...call me ego driven and too scared to fail, LOL

Now, if you'll note our last couple months of weather/river conditions, you can probably figure out why I appear to have dropped OFF the map here :)

J
JonT
Snopro said:

My number is October.

S
Snopro
If the temps are the same what difference does the month make?

Just like now some tribs I won't fish in early October because of warm temps and low water conditions. Do you consider all tribs in play when we hit magical October?

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Y'all really need to open a new thread for the water temp discussion. The goal is to stay on topic. Thanks!