Spring trout fly swap

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Got my flies today, they look awesome guys. Thanks!

brandon4455
brandon4455
got mine today, thanks for hosting ss! and nice ties everyone..if anyone ever decides to dunk the pheasant tails i tied let me know how it works. i know it's not perfect quality but im sure they will bite it :) jimmy, i can't wait to toss this big ass dry on the d! maybe ill see ya out there. someone should post pics of all the flies for everyone to see! :)

Last edited:
GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Yeah, that was a mondo stimmy you tied up Jimmy. Am I gonna hafta use my 8 weight to fish that thing? :)

You guys are way cleaner fly tiers than I am. Aside from Jimmy's dry fly - I'm surprised that no one else did any dries besides mine? Hopefully you guys can use said dry flies sooner rather than later. They're high floaters - most of the time the hook point either barely touches the water, or doesn't touch the water at all.

F
FlyBum
Sweet!! Glad to have some more AMO for the Owyhee this weekend :) Gotta go check the mailbox.........

F
FlyBum
GungasUncle said:
Yeah, that was a mondo stimmy you tied up Jimmy. Am I gonna hafta use my 8 weight to fish that thing? :)

You guys are way cleaner fly tiers than I am. Aside from Jimmy's dry fly - I'm surprised that no one else did any dries besides mine? Hopefully you guys can use said dry flies sooner rather than later. They're high floaters - most of the time the hook point either barely touches the water, or doesn't touch the water at all.

90 percent of a trout's diet is below the surface, lending more productivity to the nymphs, but it's always fun to have them come up and smack a dry.

F
FishFiddle
Yep, got mine today....Thanks Everybody! Nice flies!! Our 8 inches of snow are just melting off and will be keeping everything local pretty high and brown for a bit but I am really itching. I bought the Dec Hogan book 'A Passion for Steelhead' and it has kept me from going completely bonkers. I finished it yesterday (the first time through) and it was fantastic for sure. Been working on some spey flies since the FFF expo and even though they will fish, it is going to be a bit of an uphill learning curve. Thanks! Jimmy for the 'Big Stim' and I can't wait to wake that one. If'n you PM me your address I'd be happy to send you my flies if you want. Doc

S
steelhead_slayer
@ fishfiddle: jimmy got sent someone else's share of flies.

S
steelhead_slayer

F
FlyBum
steelhead_slayer said:
@ fishfiddle: jimmy got sent someone else's share of flies.

Awesome! :clap:

E
eggs
I wasn't going to be able to get mine in or I would have had to rush them.. life is busy...... so when Jimmy tossed in his flies with nothing expected in return I ask for what would have been my share to go to him.

brandon4455
brandon4455
thats very nice of you eggs :clap:

F
FlyBum
eggs said:
I wasn't going to be able to get mine in or I would have had to rush them.. life is busy...... so when Jimmy tossed in his flies with nothing expected in return I ask for what would have been my share to go to him.

You are forgiven, if you still want to exchange some stuff PM me :)

J
jimmy
didn't expect what I got in the mail yesterday..... very cool.

excellent ties, thank you all.

I think I've got 'who tied what' figured out, it'd be nice to know for sure so I can give proper credit when I post photos of them stuck in a fish lip.

GungasUncle said:

I throw those with my 5 and 6wts, I just don't aim for the other side of the river, from my experience sometimes a big profile splat on the water is just what the big boys are looking for, especially in choppy seams. Try it, you'll like it..

thanks again everyone, can't wait to get 'em wet next month. . .

brandon4455
brandon4455
i tied the pt with legs and ice dub thorax ;) its tied size 12 for march browns i tie it in 16-18 for bwo

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Yeah, I tied up the dry fly. I call it a Paddle Wheel Mayfly. I tie them up in different colors - brown, adams, olive, or black, from size 16 on up to a size 8. I also tie up a double version that simulates mating flies. Those are kinda cool because I can tie them on a bigger hook, with bigger hackles and it still looks like two medium or smaller size flies gettin' their groove on. Given the time of year, I went with brown bodies with a hint of olive mixed in to simulate march browns.

S
steelhead1
Got my flies in the mail today.Awesome!They all look super buggy,thank you everyone!

brandon4455
brandon4455
let us know how they fish!!! hoping everyone posts pics of eachothers flies in a fishes mouth on this thread

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Must say thanks again to Brandon and FlyBum. Tyler and I hit up Abiqua Creek yesterday (were headed to Butte, but upper Butte is closed to public access now because of a logging operation) - I wound up getting 6 or 7 fish - and all but 2 of those came on nymphs that you guys tied up. Sadly, I lost both - but they went to the river gods as dues for fish caught, so that's OK. I needs your fly recipes though - cuz both flies were pretty badass.

Tyler caught 3 fish yesterday, including a hog of a 14 incher by nymphing. My biggest was only 12, with most being in the 6-8 inch range. I didn't get pix of my fish, because I was too excited catching. Didn't get a good picture of Tyler's hog, because it flopped out of his hand when pulling the fly out, but I will post up a couple pix of him landing the fish and fighting the fish later. Was a fun day.

brandon4455
brandon4455
nice!!! will send a recipe either tonight or tomorrow..im pooped from kicking around in the tube all dsay