2nd trout opener time! Good info here...

troutdude
troutdude
Make trout fishing part of Memorial Day weekend

May 19, 2015 (Source: ODFW)

SALEM , Ore. – Trout fishing enthusiasts can spend their Memorial Day weekend exploring dozens of the state’s rivers and streams that open to trout fishing on Saturday, May 23.

While many lakes and some rivers and streams in Oregon already are open to fishing, the May 23 kickoff opens dozens of additional rivers, streams and even some lakes. Popular fisheries opening this Saturday include:

The North and South Fork Santiam and Luckiamute rivers and Estacada Lake and North Fork Reservoir in the Willamette Zone.
The Trask, Wilson, Nehalem (including tidewater) and Nestucca rivers in the Northwest Zone.
The Umpqua, Rogue, Coos and Coquille rivers in the Southwest Zone.
Popular stretches of the Deschutes, Fall and Metolius rivers in the Central Zone.
Kinney Reservoir and Grande Ronde, Imnaha and Wallowa rivers in the Northeast Zone.
Chewaucan (downstream of Paisley), lower Williamson and Spring Creek in the Southeast Zone.
In addition to these big names, angler can also explore dozens of small, lesser-known creeks and rivers that open this weekend. Some are seldom seen by more than a few visitors.

“There are places where you can get out and have a river all to yourself and there are other places that may be only an hour or two from town.” said Mike Gauvin, ODFW Recreational Fisheries Program Manager for Inland Fisheries. “It all depends on how much time you have and what kind of experience you want.”

The holiday weekend and May opener also coincide with the release of the ODFW Annual Fishing Guide – the agency’s most comprehensive look at places to fish in Oregon. The Guide is prepared by ODFW biologists throughout the state and covers trout, steelhead, salmon and warmwater species. It describes access, regulation updates, best times of year to fish, and tips and techniques for rivers, streams, lakes and reservoirs throughout the state.

The 2015 Annual Fishing Guide is now available on the ODFW website.

Saturday is the second of two trout “openers” in Oregon. Many water bodies in the state opened for trout fishing on April 25. However, on many other rivers and streams the trout season is delayed until the fourth Saturday in May to limit unintended fishing pressure on juvenile salmon and steelhead as they migrate to the ocean.

For anglers getting ready to hit the water, ODFW offers a lot of information to get started fishing or deciding where to go, including:

Trout stocking schedules – includes maps showing you how to get to each stocking location
The Recreation Report – weekly updates from agency experts on the latest fishing conditions
Trout Fishing in Oregon – how to fish for trout in rivers and lakes
Easy Angling Oregon – 101 great places for newcomers and families to fish
Local and Regional Guides – 50 or so places to fish close to Portland, Bend, Roseburg, Medford and Lane County
Anglers should check the 2015 Sport Fishing Regulations for gear types, season dates and bag limits and don’t forget the statewide Free Fishing Weekend coming up on June 6-7.

S
sapo
I'm pumped...heading to one of my favorite small streams on opening day

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
I know the coastal streams is no bait but is it barbless single hook? I have some cricks I will hit tomorrow and a 2 fish limit is good nothing like wild trout fried in butter!

troutdude
troutdude
According to zone regs, there is nothing noted about barbless hooks. But it would be wise, to read the Special Reg's--for each stream/trib that, you plan to fish.

Some additional regs, to share with everyone...

Also remember that in any stream in the NW zone...Only one trout (rainbow, cutthroat, or other trout specie) over 20 inches in length, may be taken per day. And in some streams--steelhead season is closed [see below].

And in the NW zone...Rainbow Trout over 16" are considered a steelhead (and must have your steelhead ticket, and tag them).

Good luck and tight lines, to all!!! Remember to post your stories and pics--we need to liven this forum up.

S
sapo
@GaryP1958 yep I'm pumped to start fishing my small streams!! Nothin like catch and releasing wild trout!

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Fished a local creek 1 for 3 had to stop the crowds with their labs jumping in the few deep pools! IMG_0685.JPG

S
sapo
Nice Gary! I fished a nice little stream and c&r'd quite a few really nice cutties (12-16", thick, big shoulders, gorgeous fish). Opening day was a success for me also

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Just waiting for the Brite chrome sea runs I guess July is good, next tme I will use my fly rod easier to hit the edges and under logs!IMG_0687.JPG