Animal tracks on the Sandy

A
alm21
Can someone identify these tracks? Feline origin?

Tracks2.jpg

Tracks1.jpg

E
Eskimo
I wouldn't guess feline because you can see the claws.

My bet is on a raccoon, possum or other river dwelling mammals.

or just a dog.

Reactions: Moosebonsai
A
alm21
I'll add that I was in a fairly remote spot and had to wade across the river where I saw these (which was too sketchy for my preference).

M
mccarrel
Could be a coyote, they're all over the place. Saw one crossing the road by my house the other day.

J
JeannaJigs
with no size reference it's difficult to tell. They are not feline. Looks like 'yote tracks to me.

H
hunt-fish-trap
claws in track equal canine origin. but on the other hand I have seen bear,cougar,coyote, fox,bobcat, deer and even elk during my years on the Sandy.

P
PNW Sam
Can't be cat because the claws are showing and it is shaped different. Raccoon tracks have five toes and they are longer and skinnier. I'd say coyote.

S
StuRgeOnkill3r
Was this at cedar I saw some cougar track last year while I was hiking down river around this time of year

J
JeannaJigs
There's cougars on pretty much every river in Oregon, especially coastal, in pretty good numbers, but those aren't cat tracks.

K
Kevinb5688
They are to close together to be a bear. Most likley a coyote. 90% sure.

R
RunWithSasquatch
dog

E
eggs
I know where those are... ninja, OnTheFly, and I were checking them out 2 weeks ago

A
alm21
The tracks are about 3"-4" wide. This was up at Marmot and was on the "south" side of the river. I'm guessing coyote based on what folks are suggesting.

Last edited:
R
Roolinghills
Last time I saw tracks like those it was down at Dabney.. surrounded by clear cut trees. If there was any shavings around or stripped trees it was probably a beaver. Their tracks look much more like a dog (which was suggested on here a few times) than I thought they would. I encountered one right by the foot bridge at Dabney.. dang thing scared me half to death when it jumped in the creek and slapped it's tail down. Those guys get pretty big.

I could be wrong.. but like I said, I always look for shavings and pointed tree stubs. Another great thing about fishing.. we all get into tracks and animal identification. Just a bunch of big kids.. :)

M
mikeredding
I have been tracking animals for 30 years and I will lay down money on Coyote. Could be Fox but more than likely not as far as the claws protruded.

troutdude
troutdude
I've also just ruled out Oppossum, Wolverine, Fox, Black Bear, Skunk, etc.

So, I know what it is...

it's RUNSWITHSASQUATCH! :shock: :shock: :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

S
salmon_slayer87
Did you say 3 to 4 inches wide? If so....it could be a wolf. Don't think they aren't here...because they are.
Dale

J
JeannaJigs
Actually, what you've posted as far as coyote tracks go is of only one track. Coyotes, wolves, foxes, have different pad shapes for front and hind feet, unlike dogs. Cats have the same shape for front and hind feet but with retractable claws they are very rarely visible.

P
PNW Sam
And the plot thickens... What a mystery!

The claws seem weird, but it looks closest to coyote to me. Any trappers here on the forum? That could clear things up real quick. :lol:

M
mikeredding
I trapped for many years and still continue to hunt yotes. It appears to be a back foot of a coyote to me. You also have to take into effect that it is in sand which will be somewhat different in shape and size for sure.

Reactions: JeannaJigs