Sandy

S
Slo
Unfortunately, no - in a hurry to get out there, my phone was on the dining room table. My buddy inadvertently left his on top of the car - so it's somewhere between Gresham and Dodge Park - lol. Oh well, price to pay for a few fish.

P
PandaMan
Slo said:
Unfortunately, no - in a hurry to get out there, my phone was on the dining room table. My buddy inadvertently left his on top of the car - so it's somewhere between Gresham and Dodge Park - lol. Oh well, price to pay for a few fish.
Bummer dude. At least you caught!

Reactions: Slo
S
Slo
We did try an old trick - fishing cocktail shrimp (bought at the fish counter at Freddie's). Yes, pre-cooked and threaded onto the hook (if you have the room) or looped on with the bait holder. Small corky to keep it up out of the rocks, and a little yarn. Fished it through the tail out, and in the pockets where the Bull Run joins in. Hooked two, but lost them both. One would have pushed 20lbs, scared my buddy off his feet and filled his waders. Probably a good thing, because as much as he jumped, probably filled his shorts, too. LOL.

Reactions: PandaMan
S
Slo
1696532558583.png

a variation of what we were using. I made the ones we used, but this is what I patterned it off of - the Mepps Trophy Series. I made them with black body - green blade, and like this one, too. For whatever reason, this color combination worked better that any fluorescent colors like hot pinks, chartreuse, etc. The one I made used a red hootchie skirt in place of the tube.

C
cchinook
Slo said:
View attachment 640239
a variation of what we were using. I made the ones we used, but this is what I patterned it off of - the Mepps Trophy Series. I made them with black body - green blade, and like this one, too. For whatever reason, this color combination worked better that any fluorescent colors like hot pinks, chartreuse, etc. The one I made used a red hootchie skirt in place of the tube.
Trying again on Fri. The O.D.F.W. report insists there are lots more on the way. But we all know about their " reports ".

‘TroutMaster
‘TroutMaster
cchinook said:
Trying again on Fri. The O.D.F.W. report insists there are lots more on the way. But we all know about their " reports ".
do you think Dodge park by the garbage hole would be good on Sunday? trying to get some action but haven’t really seen anything or caught any except for one like three weeks back.

C
cchinook
‘TroutMaster said:
do you think Dodge park by the garbage hole would be good on Sunday? trying to get some action but haven’t really seen anything or caught any except for one like three weeks back.
Lower river should be better , Dabney , Oxbow.

‘TroutMaster
‘TroutMaster
cchinook said:
Lower river should be better , Dabney , Oxbow.
got it.do you think eggs or spinners would work well? still new to sandy coho

S
Slo
I heard it was all private property now, but a couple friends walked all the way down to a hole I used to fish. Back then it was known by a few names like the 'Girl Scout Hole', 'Waterfall Hole', 'Sand Hole', etc. It was about 2 miles down river from the parking lot at Dodge Park, and then down a pretty steep embankment (more like a goat trail). If you stand at the top of the hill, in the right light you can see the salmon stacked up in the hole below the falls. The steelhead would gather more towards the tail-out, scarfing up any salmon eggs that washed out of the hole. Used to tie on a Luhr Jensen Hot Shot and let it swim across the tail-out for steelhead. For the salmon, we would throw eggs or shrimp into the hole right before the waterfall and let it drift through. My buddies hooked a few fish, but unfortunately didn't land them. One thought he was snagged, tried to break it off, only to feel his 'snag' swim out of the hole and downstream. The other hooked a steelhead in the drift above the falls but lost it. Yep, the ones that got away. I'll have to ask them about walking down to that hole, because last I heard, there were signs all over saying do not enter, no trespassing, etc. But with weather coming in on Monday, fresh fish should be shooting up the river soon. It was cool to see them rolling at Dodge Park and down by the Pipeline hole. Oxbow has a few chinook, but most are getting darker and trying to nest. There are coho all over, more in some areas. You just have to move until you find fish.

C
cchinook
Slo said:
I heard it was all private property now, but a couple friends walked all the way down to a hole I used to fish. Back then it was known by a few names like the 'Girl Scout Hole', 'Waterfall Hole', 'Sand Hole', etc. It was about 2 miles down river from the parking lot at Dodge Park, and then down a pretty steep embankment (more like a goat trail). If you stand at the top of the hill, in the right light you can see the salmon stacked up in the hole below the falls. The steelhead would gather more towards the tail-out, scarfing up any salmon eggs that washed out of the hole. Used to tie on a Luhr Jensen Hot Shot and let it swim across the tail-out for steelhead. For the salmon, we would throw eggs or shrimp into the hole right before the waterfall and let it drift through. My buddies hooked a few fish, but unfortunately didn't land them. One thought he was snagged, tried to break it off, only to feel his 'snag' swim out of the hole and downstream. The other hooked a steelhead in the drift above the falls but lost it. Yep, the ones that got away. I'll have to ask them about walking down to that hole, because last I heard, there were signs all over saying do not enter, no trespassing, etc. But with weather coming in on Monday, fresh fish should be shooting up the river soon. It was cool to see them rolling at Dodge Park and down by the Pipeline hole. Oxbow has a few chinook, but most are getting darker and trying to nest. There are coho all over, more in some areas. You just have to move until you find fish.
I hope so , this morning at Dabney , Oxbow , and Dodge , stone dead . Nothing . But there is always the snag festival at Ceder.

S
Slo
LOL...Used to fish Cedar all the time, until I got tired of the flossing and snagging going on. There are still a few good holes upstream of Revenue Bridge. My uncle taught me a long time ago, when the East winds blow, the bite goes off. Maybe there is something to that after all.

‘TroutMaster
‘TroutMaster
do you guys think it would be good to hit Glenn auto tomorrow, I was thinking of going to Glenn auto, then Dabney for a CoJo, but don’t know if I should focus more towards Oxbow.

C
cchinook
Oxbow or Dodge

‘TroutMaster
‘TroutMaster
cchinook said:
Oxbow or Dodge
got it, today, thinking I will go to the Oxbow boat ramp, then probably move towards the garbage hole area

C
cchinook
‘TroutMaster said:
got it, today, thinking I will go to the Oxbow boat ramp, then probably move towards the garbage hole area
21 rods at Oxbow today , no coho . 40 or so at the hatchery . Last year it was awesome , I guess the kill nets got them all. I will call O.D.F.W. in the morning and ask them why. I do not expect much of a reply . They might not even know where the Sandy is.

P
PandaMan
cchinook said:
21 rods at Oxbow today , no coho . 40 or so at the hatchery . Last year it was awesome , I guess the kill nets got them all. I will call O.D.F.W. in the morning and ask them why. I do not expect much of a reply . They might not even know where the Sandy is.
🤣🤣🤣 this is my favorite OFF response yet. Serious question tho, I heard that hatchery doesn't allow volunteer workers? Why the hell not?

C
cchinook
PandaMan said:
🤣🤣🤣 this is my favorite OFF response yet. Serious question tho, I heard that hatchery doesn't allow volunteer workers? Why the hell not?
They already have enough people to cut the grass. Other then that I do not know what they do all day.

S
Slo
Ya, didn't make it out this weekend, but brought a few of my hand-made spinners and jigs over to my neighbor's garage sale. I wasn't expecting much action, as this was my first time showing them. But I was shocked when they gained a lot of interest, and actually sold a couple dozen. I didn't have them priced very high $2.50 ea. and 5 for $10, because I just wanted to get an idea if I was even in the right ballpark. Cost wise, I wasn't making anything, but it was interesting to see what folks wanted, as far as colors of bodies or blades, and whether or not hooks were plain, dressed with feathers, or hootchie skirts. One guy bought about a dozen, and was sharing pics of salmon and steelhead he has been catching on spinners on the Willamette, and other rivers. Impressive catches, some fairly recently. I told him I was making the lures and jigs because after surviving a stroke a couple years ago, I can't get out to my favorite fishing spots anymore. So I turned to making them to help me with dexterity, but also to continue fishing, even if through other's eyes. Fishing on the Sandy the other day brought back so many memories, even if I did have to stay in the easier to handle areas. No more jumping around in the rocks, or climbing down steep hillsides and gullies, etc. But I'm still going to get out there as much as possible, and will continue to make my own lures. I know I will never challenge the store-bought brands, but I have confidence in what I am making as I control the quality. Let's hope for some rain in the next few days, and maybe that will bring in more fresh fish and less tight jaws. Tight lines.

C
cchinook
PandaMan said:
Just talked to someone at O.D.F.W. , they are insisting that the main coho run has yet to arrive.

S
Slo
And if they don't show up, they will tell you "you should have been here just the other day". If these showers develop, like the weatherman says, that should bring in some fresh fish.