Looking for Fall PNW Fly Fishing Advice

Hunter Cords
Hunter Cords
Hello,

I write and ask a lot of questions, so my apologies in advance!

I am planning a trip through Oregon and up into Washington (coming from California) in the first week or two of October. I understand that a lot of what I will ask will heavily depend of water conditions and rain as no water = no fish. Also, be forewarned, I do not know as much as I would like about fishing for salmon or steelhead so I am learning as much as I can! I should also note that I do not have it in the budget for a guide, unfortunately, and will be doing everything DIY.

My ultimate goal would be to hook, and maybe even land a Salmon or Steelhead (Trout are cool with me too). From what I have read it sounds like I may be a little early for Steelhead but if that is incorrect, that would be awesome. So far I have the Rogue in mind (Staying at a campsite upriver of the town of Rogue River) and am curious to anyone thoughts on fishing this section up to the dam or downriver. I'm thinking of spending maybe 3-4 days in this area. Maybe any flies I should make sure to tie, and advice on fishing this river, or anything else anyone is willing to share.

I would also like to fish a river a bit more north as it gets closer to my end destination and I would like to stop at Spawn Fly Fish in Washington as I head to what'll be my home base for a while. I have a thought of the Wilson River outside of Tillamook, but if anyone has any better ideas I am open to them, or any advice for that river I'd love to hear it!

Once I am in Washington, I will be staying outside of Maple Valley for most of the second week of October. My family, who lives up in the region, has suggested checking out the Snoqualmie, the Green, the Skykomish, and the Tolt. Any thoughts on any of these rivers? As another note, I am willing to drive 3 hours or so from Maple Valley to find fish, and the Sound may be an option as they have a boat. (Yakima is on the list for sure!)

I love to tie flies, so any fly suggestions would be amazing if anyone is willing. I'll have a double-handed rod as well as a single-handed rod so I hope to do some swinging and some indicator fishing regarding flies I should tie. I don't want to have anyone burn any secret spots, but if anyone is willing to share any places I should give a go, I'd greatly appreciate it. Just trying to shorten my learning curve as much as I can. Thanks for any thoughts, time, or even reading this far!

Thanks,

Hunter
 
Vintageflyguy
Vintageflyguy
Haven't fished the Rogue lately but that time of year from the dam to outside Medford is fly fishing only as the salmon are spawning which means the steelhead are right behind (literally) them. So that means egg patterns and salmon fly larva (heavy) there was a fly shop in shady Cove that can head you in the right area. If land locked there are a couple county parks from SC to Dodge Bridge that can give some bank access. Also up toward dam is accessible - they used to retread steelhead (catch them at the dam clip their gill plate and start them over downriver giving anglers another chance at them. The river is also starting to drop pushing the salmon onto their reds. You could spend weeks on that section. Nothing about up north....sorry. Good luck
 
  • Like
Reactions: Hunter Cords
D
Davpot
Vintageflyguy said:
Haven't fished the Rogue lately but that time of year from the dam to outside Medford is fly fishing only as the salmon are spawning which means the steelhead are right behind (literally) them. So that means egg patterns and salmon fly larva (heavy) there was a fly shop in shady Cove that can head you in the right area. If land locked there are a couple county parks from SC to Dodge Bridge that can give some bank access. Also up toward dam is accessible - they used to retread steelhead (catch them at the dam clip their gill plate and start them over downriver giving anglers another chance at them. The river is also starting to drop pushing the salmon onto their reds. You could spend weeks on that section. Nothing about up north....sorry. Good luck
Well Hunter, it sounds like you are headed for one adventurous Fall. I spoke with the Bio at Tillamook last week and he gave the Wilson a downgrade because of “traffic”! Very popular now! You may even see “homeless” folks!🤔 of course I fully expect a Withering Summer/Fall! Id check ahead to be sure. Youve got A LOT of territory to cover! I prefer Royal Coachman flies and Reverse Spiders for most fishing. Do your Homework, and you should be Fine! Good luck!
Davpot
 
Hunter Cords
Hunter Cords
Vintageflyguy said:
Haven't fished the Rogue lately but that time of year from the dam to outside Medford is fly fishing only as the salmon are spawning which means the steelhead are right behind (literally) them. So that means egg patterns and salmon fly larva (heavy) there was a fly shop in shady Cove that can head you in the right area. If land locked there are a couple county parks from SC to Dodge Bridge that can give some bank access. Also up toward dam is accessible - they used to retread steelhead (catch them at the dam clip their gill plate and start them over downriver giving anglers another chance at them. The river is also starting to drop pushing the salmon onto their reds. You could spend weeks on that section. Nothing about up north....sorry. Good luck
Thank you for the info, I greatly appreciate it! I will give that area a go!
 
Hunter Cords
Hunter Cords
Davpot said:
Well Hunter, it sounds like you are headed for one adventurous Fall. I spoke with the Bio at Tillamook last week and he gave the Wilson a downgrade because of “traffic”! Very popular now! You may even see “homeless” folks!🤔 of course I fully expect a Withering Summer/Fall! Id check ahead to be sure. Youve got A LOT of territory to cover! I prefer Royal Coachman flies and Reverse Spiders for most fishing. Do your Homework, and you should be Fine! Good luck!
Davpot
I was fearing that, unfortunately. It looks like I may spend most of my week in Oregon on the Rogue swinging & skating flies for Steelhead. I may spend a night or two in the Tillamook region. Check out the cheese/ice cream factory and give one of those rivers a go before I take off into Washington.
 
troutdude
troutdude
My recommendation is Marionberry Pie ice cream on a freshly made waffle cone! 🤪
 
  • Like
Reactions: Casting Call
Hunter Cords
Hunter Cords
troutdude said:
My recommendation is Marionberry Pie ice cream on a freshly made waffle cone! 🤪
100% stopping at the factory! I just have to figure out how the tour thing works haha!
 
  • Like
Reactions: troutdude
Casting Call
Casting Call
troutdude said:
My recommendation is Marionberry Pie ice cream on a freshly made waffle cone! 🤪
My fav. Just walk in the front door and up the ramp. Says Tony
 
  • Like
Reactions: Snopro, troutdude and Hunter Cords
Rogersjd
Rogersjd
Sounds like an amazing trip. Check out the Nehalem or Kilchis River if the Wilson is too busy! The Trask is epic, but if the Wilson is busy, it will likley be worse! Or sure if your timing, it watch the Regs for the coastal rivers.


Heading to Yakima myself early October for a guys weekend in the Canyon. A few great guides that offer weekly updates including what the fish are feeding on YouTube. Such a magical river for sure.

Have fun!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Hunter Cords and troutdude
Hunter Cords
Hunter Cords
Rogersjd said:
Sounds like an amazing trip. Check out the Nehalem or Kilchis River if the Wilson is too busy! The Trask is epic, but if the Wilson is busy, it will likley be worse! Or sure if your timing, it watch the Regs for the coastal rivers.


Heading to Yakima myself early October for a guys weekend in the Canyon. A few great guides that offer weekly updates including what the fish are feeding on YouTube. Such a magical river for sure.

Have fun!
It should be good! Even if steelhead/salmon rivers are blown out there are always other options and I can never say no to fishing for trout!
 
Casting Call
Casting Call
October eh! Sounds like you will run&gun. Oregon rivers take some patients and finesse. Save your time for Washington waters. you will need all of your two weeks just to work the Yakima valley and its tribs. Always work below any dam, lots of aeration for trophy fish. Also, there are no short learning curves. Just keep moving on through. Says Tony
 

Similar threads

Irishrover
Replies
2
Views
537
Irishrover
Irishrover
J
Replies
7
Views
1K
Davpot
D
M
Replies
3
Views
928
troutdude
troutdude
A
Replies
8
Views
523
troutdude
troutdude
M
Replies
36
Views
2K
Kadenfansler20
K
Top Bottom