Opening weekend...

Troutski
Troutski
I am planning a trip to Crane this coming weekend, was wondering if anyone knows the road conditions coming in from the Cresent junction area. Planning on launching from Rock Creek ... any information would be greatly appreciated...
Thanks and tight lines....

Chuck

P4280007.jpg

T
troutmasta
I wish I did Im sorry. I just wanted to say Crane Prarie is one of the lakes on my bucket list. Ive heard its incredible! Good Luck.

troutdude
troutdude
My gramps fished Crane in the 40's & 50's. It's a great place to fish!

Good luck Chuck! We'll be waiting for your report.

jamisonace
jamisonace
You can see the road conditions on willamette pass and in alpine at tripcheck.com on their webcams. That might give you an idea of conditions at the lake.

R
rippin fish lips
I love the veiw of mt bachelor on the right! someday i will fish dis lake

Chromatose
Chromatose
You could try a call to Crescent Junction RV Park 541-433-5300

Last edited:
G
grampa ron
Try the O.S.P.

Troutski
Troutski
Crane shakes...

Crane shakes...

Thanks for all the help, all the information a person would need, it is a go....
Be still my heart...

Chuck

PA080031.jpg

troutdude
troutdude
There is only one cure...get out there and drop some lines!

Good luck my friend.

P.S. Is there a jealous button on here?

T
TJK
We have stayed at the campground every year for the last few years over Memorial Day. The trout have been killer when your not freezing out on the lake. In the past we have slayed the trout, however, this year I am hoping to dig into the Bass. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. Good luck my friend, let us know how you do.

Troutski
Troutski
troutdude said:
There is only one cure...get out there and drop some lines!

Good luck my friend.

P.S. Is there a jealous button on here?

No need to be jealous, drop what you are doing and meet us up there. One thing about a boat is there is always room for one more...

Chuck

PA080025.jpg

Troutski
Troutski
Summer time Bass...

Summer time Bass...

TJK said:
We have stayed at the campground every year for the last few years over Memorial Day. The trout have been killer when your not freezing out on the lake. In the past we have slayed the trout, however, this year I am hoping to dig into the Bass. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. Good luck my friend, let us know how you do.

It by far the closest thing we have to a day on a lake in Alaska, maybe not the volume but the size of these fish are amazing. As for the Bass, try early Summer in the Rock Creek arm.. Poppers are a blast!!

Chuck

P4280012.jpg

S
sunsalem
OK, who has the first report of 2013?:)

Troutski
Troutski
Crane's alive - with Devil Gnats...

Crane's alive - with Devil Gnats...

Well I made it over before sunrise, perfect morning a light breeze and cloud cover. Put in and motored over to our favorite haunt - as the sun shine filtered in we could see a blanket covering the waters surface.... Billions of small insects. A size 20 hook would have looked like a ships anchor next to it, any way we dropped anchor and began our quest for a CraneBow. One has to love the second rod stamp, I know I sure do...
Nothing in our favorite spot so we moved to our second spot... BAM... a very respectful Brookie. Cast out our chosen fish attractant and had some breakfast, you know what happens at Crane when you are not watching your rod or bobber; Yep my Sons rod starts to jump in the rod holder and the line starts to peel off his reel... after a very nice fight he lands an even larger Brookie. I can remember when Brookies were a rare fish in Crane, we picked up one more Brookie and the hole went dead. We motored over to an area neither of us had tried before, thinking maybe this is where the CraneBows were lurking. Nothing, but the sun broke through and the sun felt so wonderful - that is until the Gnats from hell fell upon us. This must have been the very same critters that we saw floating on the surface at day break, but these were alive and tens of millions trying to fly into your mouth; uninvited. We pulled anchor and headed into the wind, ah yea peace... I remembered a special hat I bought just for these incidents, a NO-SEE-EM HAT; drug that baby out of my waterproof bag !!! What a great invention, I highly recommend one to every angler. My son left his at home, needless to say the rest of the day was peaceful to me and pure hell to him. Not another fish to be had, so we decided to try our first pick again... Andy picked up another nice Brookie right off , I cast to this appealing spot just knowing my fish was there. Nothing happening so we decide to scarf down a sandwich knowing full well that once we start to eat the action will pick up, again no luck. Finished my lunch and pulled my stuff in and re-baited, a perfect cast - sat down and the next thing I know there is this Huge Rainbow jumping two feet out of the water, then my rod bends in half. The game is on, three very nice runs - drag screaming rod pumping. A flash of silver and we can just make out the huge CraneBow taking another power run..... Be still my heart! One more small run and he was in the net.. A Native 23" CraneBow... The day could end now and it would be fine by me. We fished for the rest of the afternoon and not another bite, all in all a great day on the water with my Son. Brookies, CraneBows and Gnats.... by the Billion...
Wonder day on the water................

Chuck

S
sunsalem
Great report....sorry to hear about the gnats.

BTW, which no-see-um hat do you have?

I'll be back to Sunriver in a couple of weeks and will immediately head up to CP.:)

J
JimBob
See you Saturday Cultus channel. The chartreuse will be out in full force. (it's your favorite!)

Troutski
Troutski
sunsalem said:
Great report....sorry to hear about the gnats.

BTW, which no-see-um hat do you have?

I'll be back to Sunriver in a couple of weeks and will immediately head up to CP.:)

Sorry for the delay in responding... it is made by Orvis - called "bughead hat"

Chuck

S
sunsalem
Thanx, Chuck.

J
JimBob
Too dang windy today to go stump dodging. Went to Lava instead!

Troutski
Troutski
Big or little, both great bodies of water..

Chuck