Opening weekend...

P
perfectg03
Bass are a PART of the problem, they are not the entire problem as I have mentioned twice now. The lake was severely impacted when bass were dumped in the 80's. The trout population declined drastically due to the increase in predation and competition for food. On top of this, our wonderful ODFW and the owners of the resort have done a very poor job of managing the fishery.

Colby - I appreciate your knowledge and your love for fishing. But there are guys here that witnessed the impact first hand that the bass had and do have on Crane. Guys that were fishing that lake 40 years before you were even born. The evidence is drilled into our eyes, the eyes of guys that know what Crane used to be, and what it is now.

Reactions: bigsteel
B
bigsteel
colbypearson said:
Seriously?........ I have a huge problem with people who introduce non-native species, I also have a problem with people who wrongfully blame bass for any significant decimation of a trout fishery,(without viable proof) its easy to jump on a band-wagon when compared to actually researching.
its not jumping on any bandwagon,,the lake was a trophy trout fishery PERIOD END OF STORY,some idiot dumped bass in there and now you have bass fishermen defending the bass that were illegally introduced.if you have a huge problem with it then dont defend the illegally introduced bass...

S
sunsalem
bigsteel said:
its not jumping on any bandwagon,,the lake was a trophy trout fishery PERIOD END OF STORY,some idiot dumped bass in there and now you have bass fishermen defending the bass that were illegally introduced.if you have a huge problem with it then dont defend the illegally introduced bass...
Exactly right.

C
colbypearson
bigsteel said:

I'm not defending the bass. Just like I said in my post....I have a huge problem with people who introduce new species into an eco-system, take it as I said it. I know your not jumping on a band-wagon, and in no way was that part of my post directed at you. I quoted you because you had to bring up "Nascar shirts and swimbaits/All they care about" where the "Seriously..." part of my post was directed at you, because that type of reply is not the bigsteel I have coexisted with on OFF for the last few years, especially not through personal messages :rolleyes:.

And I do have a problem with people who solely blame bass for the degradation of many Oregon fisheries, not because I'm a bass fisherman, but because I feel bass often become the scapegoat for an array of problems, not to say they aren't problematic..... I just think dramatic trout fisherman give them too much credit. <---- (not directed at anyone in particular)

My original post was sincere, in that I really was interested in the role bass have played in the "decimation" of Crane Prairie. I asked for evidence, I was denied, so I did my own research that supplied evidence that bass may play a much more miniscule role in the desecration of Crane Prairie than what this thread reflects..What else could I base my opinions off of? Not like I got the enlightenment I sought here..

So chill the hell out and possibly inform me as to the role that bass play in the total devastation that has occurred at Crane Prairie..

You should know better than to clump me together with ignorant one sided anglers who only care about whatever they target, and trust me its not just bass fisherman.... Fresh-water ecology has long been one of my topics of interest.

Perfectg03, I appreciate the short explanation, seriously I do. I would really like to hear a more in-depth assessment though, if Crane was honestly that severely impacted it definitely sparks my interest.

Last edited: