Opening weekend...

J
JimBob
Big, caught a limit amongst falling trees and struggling to keep anchored.

J
JeannaJigs
I've often pondered going here...I've fished all the neighboring lakes but never crane. How feasible is it in a non motorized drift boat?

J
JimBob
JeannaJigs said:
I've often pondered going here...I've fished all the neighboring lakes but never crane. How feasible is it in a non motorized drift boat?

Crane is a big lake, but most of the trout hang out in the channels. The method you mention should be easily doable if you set off in quinn river cg. paddle out to the stumps, fish the channel.

S
sunsalem
JimBob said:
Crane is a big lake, but most of the trout hang out in the channels. The method you mention should be easily doable if you set off in quinn river cg. paddle out to the stumps, fish the channel.
Good advice.

Crane can get very windy.
You don't want to be too far out without a motor.

O
Outdrsmn
I have fly fished this in both float tubes and pontoons. So it is very feasable.

Troutski
Troutski
Magic place...

Magic place...

JeannaJigs said:

Crane is in fact a very large lake, with a huge population of three normally targeted species; pretty much where ever you wet a line there will be fish there. First time at the lake I would recommend launching your drift boat at Rock Creek. The main reason is there is this very large lagoon to the left, the wind really doesn't pose a problem while in this location; one could spend a few days just learning this small part of the lake; Brookies of a very respectful size love this area; Large mouth Bass love the flats on the Northwest shore line and last but not least "Cranebows".. I must admit this is a very productive Lake no matter where you fish.. Your Drift boat will be just fine on this lake, in fact you will be addicted - good thing there is a camp ground right there (when there is a fish cleaning station in the parking lot is says volumes). Great place to throw a fly, or bait....

Chuck

P4280007.jpg

T
tomriker
I'll be there over memorial day weekend camping with some friends.. my first time there! after we get tired of targeting bass we will probably settle on catching some trouts

Reactions: lilsalmon
L
lilsalmon
I haven't fished there yet either....one day.

J
JimBob
tomriker said:
I'll be there over memorial day weekend camping with some friends.. my first time there! after we get tired of targeting bass we will probably settle on catching some trouts

Catch all the Bass you want. When you get tired, catch some more. please.

S
sunsalem
JimBob said:
Catch all the Bass you want. When you get tired, catch some more. please.
Absolutely right.
There should no limit on Bass or any other non-trout species AND must be kept by the angler (not returned to the water).;)

Troutski
Troutski
Brookies Love Bass....

Brookies Love Bass....

The Bass population has taken a real hit over the last few years, between ODFW stocking real Cranebows in the large size and the Sticklebacks going by-by the Bass don't have enough forage to support a huge population. Pulled many a baby Large Mouth out of the throats and stomach of the Brookies from there. They are still in there but they have lost their foothold, I still fish for them every time I visit Crane... You haven't lived until you have thrown Poppers in the early Spring, Fly or Gear. One of those things that make your mouth sore for two days from the constant smile plastered across your face. Huge explosions and line rippers.... be still my heart:dance: . Just my opinion....

Chuck

Reactions: Throbbit _Shane
T
tomriker
sunsalem said:
Absolutely right.
There should no limit on Bass or any other non-trout species AND must be kept by the angler (not returned to the water).;)

I only catch and release bass, sorry

P
perfectg03
Bass destroyed this lake, along with other mismanagement. How could anyone support a bass fishery that depleted the best trout lake in our state? If it was legal
I would kill every single one of them. Please keep the bass you catch and turn them into dinner or fertilizer. Also, if you catch any big trout, please release them and whatever you do don't listen to the goobers that own the lake, they have no clue the damage they are doing to this lake. They tell you to kill every trophy in the lake, please don't listen.

C
colbypearson
perfectg03 said:
Bass destroyed this lake, along with other mismanagement. How could anyone support a bass fishery that depleted the best trout lake in our state? If it was legal
I would kill every single one of them. Please keep the bass you catch and turn them into dinner or fertilizer. Also, if you catch any big trout, please release them and whatever you do don't listen to the goobers that own the lake, they have no clue the damage they are doing to this lake. They tell you to kill every trophy in the lake, please don't listen.

Please elaborate your thoughts....

Explain to me how a bass has such catastrophic effect on Crane as a "trophy trout" fishery?

I'm sure it will end up with the same presumptuous rebuttals I typically hear... "But bass eat trout......Wahhhhhh!"

Last edited:
Reactions: tomriker
S
sunsalem
colbypearson said:
Please elaborate your thoughts....

Explain to me how a bass has such catastrophic effect on Crane as a "trophy trout" fishery?

I'm sure it will end up with the same presumptuous rebuttals I typically hear... "But bass eat trout......Wahhhhhh!"
For some reason, I doubt anyone would waste their time going over it with ya.:rolleyes:

T
TTFishon
perfectg03 said:

Good luck TR!!! I hope you catch and release a ton of LM and catch and keep a couple trophy trout!!!

P
perfectg03
Why would you want to kill wild fish that spawn and provide a healthy fishery? Why would you want to support the dump of an invasive species into a watershed that already has it's struggles due to poor management? I don't have a problem with bass fishing, hell it's a blast. I have a problem with people wanting to destroy the wild populations by introducing species that are not native to the area.

I could argue about this forever. The fight between you hardcore bass fishers and all other fisherman will continue on. I do appreciate your practice of catch and release, but please try and do that same for the native species that make our state so special.

B
bigsteel
its not worth arguing with bass fishermen,all they care about is the fact their precious bass are there,they dont care that they were illegally introduced and dumped into a lake that is known as a trophy trout fishery...its a great place to sport their nascar shirts and swim baits the size of a dog lol

T
TTFishon
I just want TR to have a good time and if that entails catching and releasing a ton of bass and catching a couple of nice trout then so be it.

C
colbypearson
bigsteel said:
its not worth arguing with bass fishermen,all they care about is the fact their precious bass are there,they dont care that they were illegally introduced and dumped into a lake that is known as a trophy trout fishery...its a great place to sport their nascar shirts and swim baits the size of a dog lol
Seriously?........ I have a huge problem with people who introduce non-native species, I also have a problem with people who wrongfully blame bass for any significant decimation of a trout fishery,(without viable proof) its easy to jump on a band-wagon when compared to actually researching.

Last edited:
Reactions: TTFishon