Wilson River Salmon Report

S
shaq2424
Hi all. Being from Idaho and having out of state hunters come to our state to hunt I dread posting on these threads. However, my brother and I are bringing our kiddos to Garabaldi this weekend to do some crabbing. Long story short we would love to catch a few fall Chinook or a Coho or two if it is open? The kids are 7,12 and 17. Any fishing reports or recommendations where we could go off the bank would be great! I appercaite all info and am willing to trade hunting info for Northern Idaho if you ever come this way! Thank you again.

jamisonace
jamisonace
You might check the Miami out for chum. That's a blast for kids. Wilson has lots of bank access for chinook. Kilchis has access at the put in but it's super busy. I'm not local there but have fished it a few times.

Reactions: Casting Call and shaq2424
troutdude
troutdude
From ODFW website, posted on 10/18:

• Fall Chinook fishing has been fair on the North Coast with fish being caught daily in Nestucca, Tillamook, and Nehalem bays as well as in the lower reaches of the rivers. Fishing has slowed a little in the bays but has started to pick up in the rivers as the fall migration begins. That said there are still fish being caught and still fresh fish coming in. Due to a below average forecast this year the daily and season bag limits have been reduced. See the Regulation Updates section above for details.
  • Wild coho fisheries on the North Coast closed on Oct. 19. There is no retention of wild coho in North Coast bays or rivers. Hatchery coho are still available in the Tillamook Bay, Nehalem Bay, Trask River, and the North Fork Nehalem River and some fish are being caught. This is the first year of adult returns from the hatchey coho wild broodstock program. As such, run timing should extend further into the fall than it has in the past.
  • There are cutthroat trout available in most North Coast streams and sea-run cutthroat are present in the rivers throughout upper distribution. There are lots of places to fish for trout in North Coast streams; check the regulations for open rivers and creeks.
  • Fall rains are finally here! We have had more rain this past week, affecting each basin with rising river levels. That bodes well for fall fishing conditions. With the rain starting last weekend- a lot of the fish that have been kegged into lower tidewaters have started to spread out. We are starting to see fish finally starting to spread further into each basin. They aren't racing upstream but they're moving throughout the basins.
  • Fish are moving up into and out of tidewater throughout most Mid Coast basins. More reports are coming in of fish being caught in the Siuslaw and Siletz and the Alsea and Salmon Rivers have picked up. The Yaquina is still generally slow overall.
  • Coho fisheries are now closed in most of the Mid Coast basins on Oct. 15. Be sure to check your local regulations before heading out! Coho seemed to have a quick peak in the last two weeks of the season and remained slow the last few days of the season. They haven't been as aggressive in their bite -- but after the rains last weekend we may see that shift.
  • The coho fishery opened on both the Takenitch and Siltcoos lakes check their section for the most recent update!

Hope that is helpful.

P.S. The day after St. Helen's flipped her wig, I drove up to Priest River for a short visit. One day I ate lunch in Sandpoint--and had no idea, then, that I was looking out at Lake Pend Oreille!

Reactions: rogerdodger
S
shaq2424
jamisonace said:
You might check the Miami out for chum. That's a blast for kids. Wilson has lots of bank access for chinook. Kilchis has access at the put in but it's super busy. I'm not local there but have fished it a few times.
Appreciate all the info!!

S
shaq2424
troutdude said:
From ODFW website, posted on 10/18:

• Fall Chinook fishing has been fair on the North Coast with fish being caught daily in Nestucca, Tillamook, and Nehalem bays as well as in the lower reaches of the rivers. Fishing has slowed a little in the bays but has started to pick up in the rivers as the fall migration begins. That said there are still fish being caught and still fresh fish coming in. Due to a below average forecast this year the daily and season bag limits have been reduced. See the Regulation Updates section above for details.
  • Wild coho fisheries on the North Coast closed on Oct. 19. There is no retention of wild coho in North Coast bays or rivers. Hatchery coho are still available in the Tillamook Bay, Nehalem Bay, Trask River, and the North Fork Nehalem River and some fish are being caught. This is the first year of adult returns from the hatchey coho wild broodstock program. As such, run timing should extend further into the fall than it has in the past.
  • There are cutthroat trout available in most North Coast streams and sea-run cutthroat are present in the rivers throughout upper distribution. There are lots of places to fish for trout in North Coast streams; check the regulations for open rivers and creeks.
  • Fall rains are finally here! We have had more rain this past week, affecting each basin with rising river levels. That bodes well for fall fishing conditions. With the rain starting last weekend- a lot of the fish that have been kegged into lower tidewaters have started to spread out. We are starting to see fish finally starting to spread further into each basin. They aren't racing upstream but they're moving throughout the basins.
  • Fish are moving up into and out of tidewater throughout most Mid Coast basins. More reports are coming in of fish being caught in the Siuslaw and Siletz and the Alsea and Salmon Rivers have picked up. The Yaquina is still generally slow overall.
  • Coho fisheries are now closed in most of the Mid Coast basins on Oct. 15. Be sure to check your local regulations before heading out! Coho seemed to have a quick peak in the last two weeks of the season and remained slow the last few days of the season. They haven't been as aggressive in their bite -- but after the rains last weekend we may see that shift.
  • The coho fishery opened on both the Takenitch and Siltcoos lakes check their section for the most recent update!

Hope that is helpful.

P.S. The day after St. Helen's flipped her wig, I drove up to Priest River for a short visit. One day I ate lunch in Sandpoint--and had no idea, then, that I was looking out at Lake Pend Oreille!
Thank you so much! That is some pretty amazing country you were in for Idaho. I am a few hours South of there but spend a lot of time in the Sanpoint area.

Reactions: troutdude
brandon4455
brandon4455
jamisonace said:
The Miami is really low at the moment and could use a big shot of rain,more so than most of the surrounding rivers.

I’d also like to note here there is no public access to fish on the lower Miami for chums. You have to get permission to fish anywhere on the river, even if you see others fishing. A handful of landowners on the lower river have gotten fed up with trespassers in the last few years.

Reactions: troutdude and jamisonace
jamisonace
jamisonace
brandon4455 said:
The Miami is really low at the moment and could use a big shot of rain,more so than most of the surrounding rivers.

I’d also like to note here there is no public access to fish on the lower Miami for chums. You have to get permission to fish anywhere on the river, even if you see others fishing. A handful of landowners on the lower river have gotten fed up with trespassers in the last few years.
I was not aware of the private property issue on the Miami. I thought it had access....sorry for the incorrect info.

S
Snopro
brandon4455 said:
I’d also like to note here there is no public access to fish on the lower Miami for chums. You have to get permission to fish anywhere on the river...
Is it still legal to float it?

brandon4455
brandon4455
Snopro said:
Is it still legal to float it?
I have nothing to say about floating it other than people need to stay in their boats or in the water, and stop parking their floatables/ trespassing way way above the high water line into peoples fields and back yards. It’s ridiculous.

S
Snopro
brandon4455 said:
...people need to stay in their boats or in the water, and stop parking their floatables/ trespassing way way above the high water line into peoples fields and back yards.
It's weird you bring up the high water mark after saying people need to stay in their boats. The AG's position is we can stand below the high water mark and not be trespassing.

brandon4455
brandon4455
Snopro said:
It's weird you bring up the high water mark after saying people need to stay in their boats. The AG's position is we can stand below the high water mark and not be trespassing.
I am telling you people need to stop blatantly perking their boats and walking through someone else’s land Willy nilly with absolutely zero respect or permission. I turned in several people last year and I will do so again this year and I will go beyond calling law enforcement if it continues.

Done with the property damage littering poaching etc

S
Snopro
I agree. It's a respect issue. I hope you are able to prosecute anyone trespassing or abusing your property and definitely for poaching.

I respect land owners by not trespassing or littering on their property. I expect the same respect in return, to not be harrased while legally fishing.

Reactions: jamisonace
jamisonace
jamisonace
Snopro said:
I agree. It's a respect issue. I hope you are able to prosecute anyone trespassing or abusing your property and definitely for poaching.

I respect land owners by not trespassing or littering on their property. I expect the same respect in return, to not be harrased while legally fishing.
I was not aware the Miami was floatable. For some reason, I was under the impression it was only fished from the bank.

I agree the respect has to go both ways.

S
shaq2424
brandon4455 said:
I am telling you people need to stop blatantly perking their boats and walking through someone else’s land Willy nilly with absolutely zero respect or permission. I turned in several people last year and I will do so again this year and I will go beyond calling law enforcement if it continues.

Done with the property damage littering poaching etc
I get your frustration, but the point of this post was to try to get my kiddos a shot at some salmon. I was pretty excited when I saw 7 new replies on this thread only for it to be about your trespassing issue. Cmon Man.

Reactions: Phatphish
troutdude
troutdude
brandon4455 said:

Good intel Brandon! P.S. Glad to see that you're still alive and kicking.

S
Snopro
shaq2424 said:
I get your frustration, but the point of this post was to try to get my kiddos a shot at some salmon.
Sorry, my fault too. I'm enthusiastic about keeping out public waters and lands...public.

If you want to stop in the Gorge on your way back, I can point you towards a spot where your kids can hook some salmon.

jamisonace
jamisonace
shaq2424 said:
I get your frustration, but the point of this post was to try to get my kiddos a shot at some salmon. I was pretty excited when I saw 7 new replies on this thread only for it to be about your trespassing issue. Cmon Man.
The trespassing info might be the best advice on this thread. Especially for an out of stater.

Reactions: troutdude
Top Bottom