My new ride

B
buddah426
picked this gem up like new on craigslist the other day for $200 :D

100_6925.jpg100_6924.jpg100_6926.jpg

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
SCORE!! :thumb: I see many "Boat Scootin' Boogie" days in your future. :D Do you have your maiden voyage planned yet?

T
TimberTodd
Now you need pics of it on the water. Have fun with it.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
excellent, do you already have specific locations that you plan to use it? cheers, roger

troutdude
troutdude
Sweet ride! Great price! Well done, by a fellow Craig's List Jedi!!!

B
buddah426
well i usually toon lost lake and then a couple up on mt hood but i think i'm a be targeting some rivers this next year!!!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
buddah426 said:
well i usually toon lost lake and then a couple up on mt hood but i think i'm a be targeting some rivers this next year!!!

excellent, look forward to seeing pictures of your fish...roger

O
OnTheFly
buddah426 said:
Last time I saw you was years ago at Harriet. We should fish. Anyhoot, If you're a regular at Lost Lake, I was wondering if you had any stories to tell about the Hexagenia big yellow mayfly hatch up there. I've never been able to catch that at the right time.

B
buddah426
OnTheFly said:
I was wondering if you had any stories to tell about the Hexagenia big yellow mayfly hatch up there. I've never been able to catch that at the right time.

not exactly a "regular" but usually hit it 3-4 times a year and i usually miss it too :-( we'll definitely have to hit the fish this next year, didn't do much this year so not on forum much but looking to change that SOON!

T
troutmasta
Score!:D

B
buddah426
is it wrong that i go out to the shop and sit on this for 10-15 min dreaming of reeling in fish then come inside and look at pics of it? o feel like a kid on xmas morn!!!

R
Rain
buddah426 said:
is it wrong that i go out to the shop and sit on this for 10-15 min dreaming of reeling in fish then come inside and look at pics of it? o feel like a kid on xmas morn!!!
I don't think its wrong. I'd probably be doing the same thing.
I'd also be thinking about how i'm going to keep my feet warm and dry when its cold out - in case they slip off those foot rests.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Sweet! I like all the pockets/bags on those toons. On over night river trips I wish I had a couple bags on the front to help even out some weight.

B
bernduffy
Rain said:
I'd also be thinking about how i'm going to keep my feet warm and dry when its cold out - in case they slip off those foot rests.

I use Grabber Toe Warmers. On really cold days I put on 2: one above and one below toes.
Next Adventure in PDX has them for 99 cents a 2 pack.
Bulk on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Grabber-Toe-Warmers-40-pairs/dp/B002PDBUOUhttp://www.amazon.com/Grabber-Toe-Warmers-40-pairs/dp/B002PDBUOU

Best upgrade for your pontoon: Cataract oars. You won't believe the difference they make. They cost as much as the toon, however.

D
DrTheopolis
Rain said:

If he's on the river, the foot rests are moot -- the feet will get wet.

Waders (and proper PDFs and whatnot).

There's no whitewater that toon won't whoop.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Run that nice looking toon up to Lost Lake in July with a few Hex flies and you should have a good chance. The Hexagenia come off from late June to early August. Roslyn Lake used to be another great Hex lake but it's gone now.

B
buddah426
DrTheopolis said:
There's no whitewater that toon won't whoop.

i was wondering bout this. the new (colorado) boats i find online say rated class 1 which are essentially the same boat. i couldn't find the columbia for sale with specs however i did find a review that stated it was rated class 2. there is a tag on the boat that states that it was built for calm and slow moving waters and not to take it down rapids. i find this to be odd though since it's got the double bladders and seems to be built very solid. is this a case of cya by the company? i have no wishes to run class 5's or anything and i'm comfortable that it'll handle anything here in the pdx area but just curious.

B
bernduffy
There are way too many stories of pontoons being pierced, ripped and other wise mangled on rivers...even down to class 2. I don't know your toon, but if bladders are vinyl (most Chinese mfg are) instead of poly I'd be very cautious. The fact that it recommends "calm & slow moving waters" speaks volumes. Remember to deflate a bit on hot days or you'll pop a seam. Another cautionary note: be very careful with anchors on a moving river. They are a nightmare waiting to happen. Having said all this, there are plenty of times and places that pontoon will put you into some great fishing. Just stay away from the edge of that particular craft's envelope.
If you get into tooning, try to move up to an Outcast made by Aire in Idaho (Not the Outcast FishCat made in China). You might find them used for 4-600. Add Cataract fiberglass/carbon oars and you're lookin' good. Then the real nice bladderless stuff start at a grand.

B
buddah426
bernduffy said:
I don't know your toon, but if bladders are vinyl (most Chinese mfg are) instead of poly I'd be very cautious.

bladders or skins? not sure about the bladders but the skins are vinyl w/ the pvc reenforced bottoms

M
Modest_Man
buddah426 said:
i was wondering bout this. the new (colorado) boats i find online say rated class 1 which are essentially the same boat. i couldn't find the columbia for sale with specs however i did find a review that stated it was rated class 2. there is a tag on the boat that states that it was built for calm and slow moving waters and not to take it down rapids. i find this to be odd though since it's got the double bladders and seems to be built very solid. is this a case of cya by the company? i have no wishes to run class 5's or anything and i'm comfortable that it'll handle anything here in the pdx area but just curious.

Plenty of whitewater that that toon won't whoop...

I would not take that on any actual whitewater. Keep it in class I and class II. It may seem "solid" but when compared to any actual whitewater capable cataraft (look up Sotar, Aire, etc.) you'll notice the differences. Not trying to rain on a parade, but know your (and your boats) limitations.

For example, it would be fine on the lower Sandy (Oxbow to Dabney) but don't do Dodge Park to Oxbow or Revenue bridge to Dodge Park. For the Clackams I'd avoid McIver down, but Barton to Carver would be fine.

I took a guy with a small pontoon like that down McIver and he managed to snap off one of the oar-locks, and later took it into some brush along the bank and snapped his rod (due to the rope and duct tape "fixed" oar lock).