My new ride

B
buddah426
yeah thats what i was thinking. i know it's no whitewater special or anything. with my first boat, a creek company i didn't even want to do that. as for upper sandy when i was younger we put in at the power station on inner tubes… lesson learned:sad: and have heard too many horror stories about mcgiver area to even think that. what about putting in @ feldenhimer on the clack? we used to do that one on tubes and i remember only a couple hairy spots where u could walk around but a ton of good holes on the way down.

D
DrTheopolis
I've taken a POS 8' toon down McIver multiple times... effortlessly. With tied-down oar locks, no less. I'd take it down the Descutes without worry (not the ideal boat, by any means).

But I've been running rivers as long as I can remember. There's a lot to be said for knowing what your doing. An inexperienced person took the same toon down McIver, and pinned an oar and flipped it in the Minefield (no harm done, thank goodness).

Always know your abilities and the water you're taking on, and err on the side of caution. But I really can't see an experienced oarsman having trouble with anything on the lower Clack in that toon. I'm a lot more afraid of McIver in a drift boat than a toon.

M
Modest_Man
buddah426 said:
yeah thats what i was thinking. i know it's no whitewater special or anything. with my first boat, a creek company i didn't even want to do that. as for upper sandy when i was younger we put in at the power station on inner tubes… lesson learned:sad: and have heard too many horror stories about mcgiver area to even think that. what about putting in @ feldenhimer on the clack? we used to do that one on tubes and i remember only a couple hairy spots where u could walk around but a ton of good holes on the way down.

Feldheimer down is easy. Dodge down really isn't bad once you get below Pipeline, but that first stretch can eat a boat fast.

DrTheopolis said:
I've taken a POS 8' toon down McIver multiple times... effortlessly. With tied-down oar locks, no less. I'd take it down the Descutes without worry (not the ideal boat, by any means).

But I've been running rivers as long as I can remember. There's a lot to be said for knowing what your doing. An inexperienced person took the same toon down McIver, and pinned an oar and flipped it in the Minefield (no harm done, thank goodness).

Always know your abilities and the water you're taking on, and err on the side of caution. But I really can't see an experienced oarsman having trouble with anything on the lower Clack in that toon. I'm a lot more afraid of McIver in a drift boat than a toon.

The Deschutes is a big river. You'd run Whitehorse in one of those?

If he's going to run anything larger than Class I or II the first thing to do would be to upgrade the oar locks and oars to something that won't snap when it's needed most.

B
buddah426
the oars i can see but it's got brass oarlocks. are those not suitable?

D
DrTheopolis
He was probably refering to the POS oarlocks typical of cheapies, like Creek Company (rowed one plenty, never had a problen with them breaking, but they don't come with a way to lock them in. Big freaking problem if they slip loose in a rapid -- big problem). Your brass ones are great, just make sure there's a way to keep them locked to the frame. On the Creek Company ones, we'd use parachute cord (multiple wraps) to attach them solidly.

B
buddah426
yea my first craft was a creek co. and i HATED those oar locks, even though i had no troubles with them. my new ones are pinned and the oars are better than what I'm used to but i can see them not taking too much punishment without failing.

J
JonT
Picked her up this morning. Got a great deal. Can't wait to fish her. I'll probably start with paddling lakes before I get to drifting (my first drift boat). If anyone wants to go and give me some drift pointers, let me know and we'll do some river drifting. She has a motor well mount, so I'll be putting an outboard on her eventually.

boat1.jpg
boat2.jpg

Reactions: JeannaJigs, 18406ej and eugene1
E
eugene1
Nice looking rig there, Jon!

keep that beauty out of the rain and fish the heck out of her.

Where are you located or what rivers do you want to try first? Maybe someone is in your area.

Congrats on the purchase,

J
JonT
eugene1 said:
Nice looking rig there, Jon!

keep that beauty out of the rain and fish the heck out of her.

Where are you located or what rivers do you want to try first? Maybe someone is in your area.

Congrats on the purchase,

Thanks, Eugene1. My beloved fianceé is a Duck through and through. I thought they were gonna whip the Badgers today. Oh well...

We live in Hood River. I want to eventually fish some coastal rivers (Alsea, Nestucca, etc), but need to get my bearings first. I lived in Florida for 25 years (was a fly guide) - amazing fishing, but far different from here. My fianceé has college friends here who fish here in HR, but they all seem a little busy to get out. Anyway, I'm stoked. Take it easy.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Congrats Jon! She is a beauty for sure. Can't wait for pics of a bloody deck! :thumb:

T
TimberTodd
That's a pretty drifter. Go out and have some fun with it.

S
Steelheadreams
looks pretty badass

J
JeannaJigs
Congrats on the new drifter!

J
JonT
Had a blast and caught dinner. WOW. XOXOX Pacific Northwest.
lizfish.jpg
lizfish2.jpg

J
JeannaJigs
Looks like a great day! My suggestion is getting used to how your boat handles on lakes, which you're doing, and then hooking up with a guide that's willing to show you the ropes on the moving water basics, unless you know someone that is proficient and can show you.

The alsea and nestucca are easy peasy, but i discovered floating the alsea all the time made me extremely complacent, which is never a good thing and almost cost me my boat and potentially my life last winter on the lower siuslaw, so it's good to be uncomfortable and constantly on alert.

J
JonT
JeannaJigs said:
Looks like a great day! My suggestion is getting used to how your boat handles on lakes, which you're doing, and then hooking up with a guide that's willing to show you the ropes on the moving water basics, unless you know someone that is proficient and can show you.

The alsea and nestucca are easy peasy, but i discovered floating the alsea all the time made me extremely complacent, which is never a good thing and almost cost me my boat and potentially my life last winter on the lower siuslaw, so it's good to be uncomfortable and constantly on alert.

Great advice, man… I have a few buddies in Hood River who are really wanting to "get back into" drift fishing and know some runs that they claim to have access to… I'm just stoked to have a boat at this point… fish on!

tight lines

E
eugene1
Nice you and the lady got out!

Unfortunately my rep points have become depleted for you, but keep it up. Nothing wrong with Rainier beer and trout!

Best,

M
mikeee2362
Looks like someone will be having fun! Nice boat!!

18406ej
18406ej
Who is the manufacturer?

I was going to give you negative rep because of the Rainier, but I suppose your budget is tight after the boat purchase.

Eamon

J
JeannaJigs
Lol @negative rep for the rainier.

I didn't even know they made that anymore lol