Best fish finder under 1k for new to fish finders

C
coyotefanatic
OK guys am new here and bought a smoker craft 16 ft. I want to upgrade the fish finder have about 1k to spend on one . Am new to the fish finder stuff . So I am looking for suggestions on a good finder for my boat

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
that is plenty to spend on sonar, do you need battery also or doe the boat have juice for it?

what sort of water are you going to be fishing and what, if it's not obvious, will you be targeting?

C
coyotefanatic
Plenty of battery has a 2 battery set up. Mainly columbia river 20 to 100 ft .walley and mainly salmon

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I've had good results from Lowrance on my PB and kayaks, your application, top end, I would be looking at the Elite FS 9" Active Imaging 3-in-1, but if you wanted to ease back on the spending, the Hook Reveal Tripleshot 9" at $599 would get the job done. I have had a Hook2 5" Tripleshot on my kayak since 2018, excellent estuary/river inland and near reef OFF-shore.

C
coyotefanatic
Thank you for the info I will check em out. Good fishing

Chromatose
Chromatose
Will you be using a kicker (Gas Power) or a minn kota (Electric Power)? The reason I ask is there are Brands that interface better than others. My recommendation is to go to a vendor and do some research on what is the best bang for your usage and dollars spent.

plumbertom
plumbertom
I have a Lowrance Hook 5 that I bought a couple of years ago. It does down and side imaging, tracking and GPS as well as all the standard stuff.
While it does all the stuff quite well, in the time that I've had it I still have difficulty working all the features on it.
My personal view is that it could have been better designed to be more user-friendly.
I've also had a number of Hummingbird sonars, including down imaging, and I've always found them to be user-friendly and simple to learn to use.
I suggest spending a little time at the store you intend to purchase from and run through the operation of whatever you choose before making the final purchase.
Had I done so, I may not have chosen a Lowrance.

bass
bass
All the brands are good. I have Garmin now but have owned HB and Lowrance (and Fish Eagle). Garmins are great units and are reputed to have fantastic customer support. I have never needed to use it but that is their reputation. Right now you should be able to find a 93SV UHD (prev gen) on sale for about $650 dollars.

https://www.thegpsstore.com/Brands/...mxCr3CCSdXraqcKEG1J7b2H97RzUtOW8aApbyEALw_wcB

The latest gen 2 is about $1200 as a comparison.

Reactions: Snopro
C
coyotefanatic
plumbertom said:
I have a Lowrance Hook 5 that I bought a couple of years ago. It does down and side imaging, tracking and GPS as well as all the standard stuff.
While it does all the stuff quite well, in the time that I've had it I still have difficulty working all the features on it.
My personal view is that it could have been better designed to be more user-friendly.
I've also had a number of Hummingbird sonars, including down imaging, and I've always found them to be user-friendly and simple to learn to use.
I suggest spending a little time at the store you intend to purchase from and run through the operation of whatever you choose before making the final purchase.
Had I done so, I may not have
Chromatose said:
Will you be using a kicker (Gas Power) or a minn kota (Electric Power)? The reason I ask is there are Brands that interface better than others. My recommendation is to go to a vendor and do some research on what is the best bang for your usage and dollars spent.

bass said:
All the brands are good. I have Garmin now but have owned HB and Lowrance (and Fish Eagle). Garmins are great units and are reputed to have fantastic customer support. I have never needed to use it but that is their reputation. Right now you should be able to find a 93SV UHD (prev gen) on sale for about $650 dollars.

https://www.thegpsstore.com/Brands/Garmin-GPS-Marine-Electronics/Garmin-ECHOMAP-Units/Garmin-ECHOMAP-UHD-93sv-GN-with-GT54UHD-Transducer?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=(ROI) Performance Max - Shopping - GPS&utm_id=20736840882&utm_content=&utm_term=&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2eKtBhDcARIsAEGTG43OT7eyXVBv3Hzu1hA4vWzmxCr3CCSdXraqcKEG1J7b2H97RzUtOW8aApbyEALw_wcB

The latest gen 2 is about $1200 as a comparison.
Awsome thanks

Bo Peep
Bo Peep
Garmin makes some great entry level stuff that is very user friendly, but I would also say look into the new Ray marine stuff it is really nice as well. I would recommend if you are fishing the lower bays or ocean make sure you buy something that offers some base maps built in at least or add a nice chart card.

C
coyotefanatic
Thanks for the ideas and info. I have chosen the helix 7 g4n. Putting it on the boat. Fingers crossed I didn't mess up.

Reactions: Chromatose