So I want to buy a boat but know nothing about boats

Hey OregonApe, did you get some blood on a deck?

Not as of yet. Shortly after I bought the boat covid almost killed me. I lived (clearly) but the hospital stay weakened me (muscle atrophy) so much that it has taken me until recently just to get up and about like normal again.

I did pick up a 8hp honda for trolling/kicker on Christmas Eve to go with the 40hp main.

Anyway, I just booked a site for the end of June at crooked river campground at billy chinook. I haven't fished for kokanee before so that should be fun. I welcome tips and tricks (I have read that we should get tribal permits for the Metolius arm of billy chinook). I also picked up up some Paulina Peaks dodgers and hoochies.

I'm currently looking at downriggers and fish finders.

Not a very happy story.
It looks like the older we get the harder life tests us for strength.

No blood on the deck yet, but I'm making progress on paint

20240512_152704.jpg

Well, this is turning into far bigger of a project than I anticipated. Floor was pretty rotted but you couldn't tell because it was sitting on foam. Foam is waterlogged and needs to come out.

Started messing with a DA polisher.
20240516_181629.jpg
Previous owner replaced sections of the floor but took the easy way and didn't pull the benches or factory foam from 1990.
20240515_150935.jpg

Foam is deceptive. 1/4" at the top is wet but then seems dry, but if you cut it out the bottom 2" or 3" is a sponge.

20240516_181647.jpg

Well the foam was hiding corrosion. Not good. Lots of holes. Not sure if I should scrap her or clean up the corrosion and go wild with JB Weld marine epoxy.

Well things just got worse and worse for the old smoker craft. More and more holes. Basically can't be welded due to the rivets and sealant. I'm still tempted to wire wheel, alodine, and epoxy the holes and restore her to seaworthy status, but that might just be flushing cash down the drain. Meh, the smart move would be to scrap her unless somebody wants to take on a project boat.

As I had fishing plans for this month I have made another questionable purchase decision.

2001 North River Mariner, 20ft, 2001 Mercury XR6 150 and 2009 Yamaha T8. No flotation foam as it's over 20ft. Currently has a jet on it but I have scheduled with Mark in Salem to have the original lower and a new prop put on it in a couple of weeks. I will be mostly lake and big river fishing so I don't see needing the jet, plus the jet costs power, fuel and makes it like steering a 20ft jet ski. Going to try to find time tomorrow to throw a tranny cooler on the van because this girl is a wee bit heftier than her predecessor. The Ole dodge van (5.2l magnum and 3.55 ratio) did a fine job towing the new boat home but I would rather not cook the trans.

20240524_105512.jpg

20240528_185357.jpg

Top Bottom