Lower Clackamas River Fishing

J
Jiggy
Great job catching a fish at all! Have you seen the clackamas fish counts! Yeesh! I haven't touched a fish in a few weeks, going crazy! I have to get my nose to the grindstone and gitter done! Nice fish bro! Keep the pics coming, they give me hope! Haha! Congrats!

T
TeamRamRod
Let's hope the nooks hurry up haha. Yea I didn't touch a fish for 2 weeks until yesterday. I hear there were a couple caught today before I got down there. All the regular fishin guys I talk to have all been striking out lately. Atleast where I fish. Dozer and chazjeffry have been doin pretty good. I'll keep pics comin as long as I can keep hookin em! Haha tight lines y'all!

C
ChezJfrey
TeamRamRod said:
Let's hope the nooks hurry up haha. Yea I didn't touch a fish for 2 weeks until yesterday. I hear there were a couple caught today before I got down there. All the regular fishin guys I talk to have all been striking out lately. Atleast where I fish. Dozer and chazjeffry have been doin pretty good. I'll keep pics comin as long as I can keep hookin em! Haha tight lines y'all!

I only touched a trout toward the end of this evening...but I'm near positive you'll be hearing something about those 'nooks in a very short while ;)

T
TeamRamRod
Yea I got a phone call bout a lil nookie nookie...

D
dozer365
got a nice springer.. it was all luck.

Last edited:
D
dozer365
wormy

wormy

dozer365 said:
got a nice springer.. it was all luck.

picked up a small hatchery winter the was down river bound. broke the mount on my solstice on the hook set. needless to say when ur reel drops at ur feet and u still manage to land a fish, I consider it skill. it was more likely luck. the fish never ran or fought, and I was able to limp in with a crippled rod. and I even hand pulled the last 20 feet and backed it out. I released this fish, since I have plenty of meat and a down river hen wont normally cut well. I hope I get another chance at that hen next winter. damn sea lions better not nab her on her way out.
tight lines and dry socks yall

ps bobber and pink worm

D
dozer365
wyze said:
Hi, my name is Dan I have been fishing the lower clack now since febuary 1st 12 hookups and five of those were ether wild fish or broke off just as i got my hands on it the rest I lost. This is my first keeper steelhead. I caught her on a brass spinner five feet off the bank down river from highrocks.

nice first fish man

S
Silvers&Steelies
Gonna hit the lower Clackamas this morning after work and probably tomorrow morning. I'm gonna check out Riverside but if boats are launching I'm probably gonna go lower.

S
Silvers&Steelies
I caught 4 keeper size trout and 2 smolts and missed a hook set on a bigger fish. All were released and saw a lot of fish jumping big and small. There were a lot of flies and would have been a good day for fly guys. Only stayed at Riverside today until a bunch of kids came down to party and throwing rocks and garbage in the river.

C
chersterz
Silvers&Steelies said:
I caught 4 keeper size trout and 2 smolts and missed a hook set on a bigger fish. All were released and saw a lot of fish jumping big and small. There were a lot of flies and would have been a good day for fly guys. Only stayed at Riverside today until a bunch of kids came down to party and throwing rocks and garbage in the river.

What kind of setup were you using for the trout?

I checked out Riverside last night. I was attempting to fish from shore with a bobber/pink worm, seems like the water might be moving a little fast for that. Any suggestions on shore fishing around riverside, set up location, etc.

Thanks, and good luck out there!

P
perfectg03
My guess is that he is catching smolt, not trout. Please don't go down trying to target them, they already have a hard time as it is making it to the ocean. Smolts are being released as we speak.

D
dozer365
Trout season Isn't open yet, at least I don't think it is. And most likely 90% smolt. There are trout in the clack. But not many in comparison to smolt

S
Silvers&Steelies
Im sure only 2 were smolt. I caught them on spinners and was careful releasing them. Same with the trout. Trout season isn't open yet. Caught the first one on a #4 blue fox and switched to a #3 with siwash to prevent killing them with a treble. I have caught steelhead with the smaller spinners and siwash with great success. I also recommend not targeting the smolts and partly why I quit by 930.

B
Big3d
I have a few hours in the morning to hit the water, yhinkin of starting at high rocks and heading down! Any helpful thoughts or suggestions? Thinkin pink worm for steel, and hardware for nooks.

J
Jiggy
Big3d, I haven't touched a fish in so long I can't give you any advise. The pink worm and bobber was working a month and a half ago! Haha! I'd like to know if anyone is doing any good also. I've tied up some jigs I'm going to try, but I have know idea what to suggest. Good luck!

S
Silvers&Steelies
I havent been out much this month and only twice on the lower clackamas. Both times I skunked trying a few different things. I've tried a variety of jigs, worms, spinners and nothing on bait. I went to Cross park a few days ago and saw nobody with a fish. I went to Riverside after work yesterday and only saw smolts jumping and no luck for me there either. Not sure if anyone else has a better report.

D
dozer365
Silvers&Steelies said:
I havent been out much this month and only twice on the lower clackamas. Both times I skunked trying a few different things. I've tried a variety of jigs, worms, spinners and nothing on bait. I went to Cross park a few days ago and saw nobody with a fish. I went to Riverside after work yesterday and only saw smolts jumping and no luck for me there either. Not sure if anyone else has a better report.

I haven't been fIshing all that hard lately. Going most Fridays and maybe a few hours after work during the week. Tried from top to bottom. Haven't touched a fish since April 19th. I have a buddy who has hooked 6 fish in the lower clack in the last 2 weeks. All on bobber jig. I've seen a couple hooked up drifting small peach or and white orange combo yarn corky. So there are a few summers around. But I haven't heard a thing about springers. Wondering where they are. I've been trying low. Maybe I need to try up by Barton and Mciver. The one I got was in the cross park area on a spoon in April. I saw a few other springers roll that week. Since then I haven't seen a fish other then below casdaro. Still the weather has been great for fishing. Just not the catching lol. At least I haven't thrown in the towel and started shad or bass fishing yet.
Tight lines and dry socks yall

C
ChezJfrey
If you're referring me me, that would be 5 fish :) But let's not mention I lost most of those ;)

But as mentioned, that was a week prior and this most recent week has been slow for me as well. Seen a few, watched a buy bank one in 15 minutes of effort, but I've not touched one at all this most recent week neither higher, mid nor lower on the Clack. Still workin' it, trying to find where they're at and I plan to nab at least one tomorrow :)

B
Big3d
Hour 5 here at cross park, no love for pink worms or spinners :S

P
perfectg03
You should think about moving around, covering water. I have hooked 9 steelhead and 4 springers in the past 6 days, and I have done so by moving around, not planting myself in a hole and pounding it over and over and over with the same offering. There isn't fish in there, and if there are you spooked them away. The key to catching steelhead is moving around, fish water hard, from close in all the way to the other side. Hunt the fish, don't hope for fish. This was one of the biggest takeaways from the Spey Clave for anyone out there who is a fly guy.