Lower Clackamas River Fishing

B
Big3d
I def. Wish I would have moved around a bit more, if I had more gas I'd have covered most of the lower river. But alas, I am on a budget, and my movementwas limited to within the area, next time I'll cover more space thanks for the advise

B
Big3d
If any of you more seasoned steeheaders or salmon guys are fishing the lower river on a tuesday or wednesday and would be willing to let me observe and maybe pick your brains some, please drop me a pm. I'm super new to steel and so is my usual fishing buddy, neither one of us has landed our first yet, and i could use some salmon fishing guidance as well. Thanks again for all the great info on here already too.

D
dozer365
Even if u have a gas budget. Don't root urself to one rock. Move down or up. Rinse repeat. Concentrate on "broken water" steelhead like moving water. Think walking speed to white water. I've been struggling this last month myself. I'd meet up. But I work during the week. Just keep at it. Try changing colors, depths, tacktics, what not. Every half hour or so. I've read that sternest like the unusual presentation. Like if there is a may fly hatch going on. Try to go the extreme opposite. I translate that bit of info from fly fishing to hardware and or jigs. Some guys go small and suttle in presentation, in low clear water. I like big flash or pink worms. I'm doing a bad job of trying to give advice lol. Let me just tell ya what worked for me to be able to figure out a comfort and confidence zone. So far it's jigs and spoons.
I select a section for jigs. Normally a tailout or seem at the "head of a hole". I run a nightmare jig for 5-10 runs. Trying to grid the water in 2 foot "lanes". Change jig repeat. Maybe two or three diff jigs. Move down into the faster water and throw a spoon. After 15-20 cast. Change drastically. If I started silver. Go blue or green or pink. Then to brass or copper or gold. Hike down or up to next likely spot. I like to fish from down river up. My thought being that most fish I've spooked. Have moved up stream. I've badgered fish into moving down stream. But most often I find the "spook" up stream 5-500 feet lol. I'd rather chase em up river when I can.
Tight lines and dry socks y'all.

B
Big3d
That was very thorough, thanks, I'm gonna try using as much of that as possible mynext outting! Much appreciated

P
perfectg03
The advice dozer gave above is good. Although I don't agree with his low and clear water tactics, much better success with smaller presentations (not just me but most well established guides in our area). Also, working from downriver up is not the correct way to fish water in my opinion. Usually when fish are spooked, they run down river or to either side, also, it is not courteous to fish from below. Other than that he has some good tips.

S
Steeliekiller
Anyone know how the rivers looking today?

W
waco
Normal

S
Steeliekiller
I guess I should head out then. Thanks

S
Silvers&Steelies
I might go tomorrow morning. Was gonna try on Memorial Day but it was looking packed. Went to the Sandy instead with no fish action and got drenched.

D
dozer365
Seen a few springers roll tonight. And a couple as in two little summers jump in tight to the bank. The springers were at the end of the lava flow at cross park about 15 feet off the seem. The other springers were in the spill next to the little cove on the oc side just above the riffle stretch. Hope someone hooks up. I've seen a couple summers banked and a jack springer yesterday. So there is hope. Better then the last month. At least what I've seen. I lost two over the weekend none a cookie cutter. The other a pretty nice fish. 0-2 for the month of may. Sad. I'm heading up river this weekend to nab a fish. At least one. I'll get it on a custom painted nightmare pattern. I can feel the cookie cutter summer now lol.
Tight lines and dry socks yall

D
dozer365
I should mention the river is forcast to rise.

5thgenOR
I'm headed to Riverside tomorrow, and would like to learn a bit about rigging for larger fish. Anyone going to be out during the day? When is a good time to start at Riverside?

B
burlajohnny
I fished that same spot, right where the Willamette and Clackamas meet, but with no luck. Are the steelies on the run around now?

B
burlajohnny
Where did you catch these? Did you catch these at the delta where the Clackamas joins the Willamette? Did you use the typical bobber and jig method? Anything helps! Thanks

T
TeamRamRod
No, up river. Bobber jig. During the heat of the day. This run will last a couple monthes.

B
burlajohnny
TeamRamRod said:
No, up river. Bobber jig. During the heat of the day. This run will last a couple monthes.

Sorry to keep bugging you, but where exactly upriver is this and how far upriver? Sorry for insisting, I'm kinda new and haven't caught anything yet. Thanks!

T
TeamRamRod
There's fish spread out all over the river. The most effective thing you can do is just get out and learn the river. Do some exploring. You can PM me if you'd like.

B
burlajohnny
TeamRamRod said:
There's fish spread out all over the river. The most effective thing you can do is just get out and learn the river. Do some exploring. You can PM me if you'd like.

I must sound like an idiot right now, but what is a PM? Is it email?

T
TeamRamRod
Private message

B
burlajohnny
TeamRamRod said:
High rocks is here in Gladstone. Behind Oxford Suites hotel.
Is it high rocks park, or high rocks restaurant & lounge?