Getting skunked

Reel_Deal
Reel_Deal
So Coho season ends on the Slaw in 3 days and its not looking good for me this year:sad: anyone else have a skunk year?

jamisonace
jamisonace
We've put a few in the boat but I haven't tagged any. This early closure is a bummer....especially if the bulk hasn't arrived yet.

B
BaldTexan
Is the coho closure for the entire state or just certain fisheries?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B
BaldTexan
BaldTexan said:
Is the coho closure for the entire state or just certain fisheries?

Nevermind. I didn't notice the reference to the Suislaw.

M
montym
So it is the Suislaw only and not Sandy and Clackamas for example? Got skunked on Saturday and planning one more go this weekend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

O
OnTheDrop
Monty, you are fine, because on those rivers you can only keep hatchery!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
SteelmonKiller20 said:
Monty, you are fine, because on those rivers you can only keep hatchery!

what he said ^

the special coastal wild coho season closes on the Umpqua, Siuslaw, and Alsea on October 15 this year.

K
kwikfisher
rogerdodger said:
what he said ^

the special coastal wild coho season closes on the Umpqua, Siuslaw, and Alsea on October 15 this year.

Caught a fat jack on the Siuslaw today, and I felt lucky based on what I saw. Could not determine if it was a coho or chinook. Had dark gums on lower jaw, but barely....As I netted it another good sized fish was with it briefly.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
kwikfisher said:
Caught a fat jack on the Siuslaw today, and I felt lucky based on what I saw. Could not determine if it was a coho or chinook. Had dark gums on lower jaw, but barely....As I netted it another good sized fish was with it briefly.

if a chinook, all around the teeth will be black. coho have black around the jaw/gums but not right around the teeth, it will be gray or whitish there....then look for spots on the lower half of the tail. any spots on the lower half of the tail, it's a nook.

S
sapo
montym said:
So it is the Suislaw only and not Sandy and Clackamas for example? Got skunked on Saturday and planning one more go this weekend.

Ya, just the Siuslaw. Monty did u hit the spot I told u about?

M
montym
Couldn't hit that one, fished at the Hosmer area and there were so many fish jumping that we didn't feel like moving from there. Had one definite bobber down and a few potentials without any hookups. Caught one 4 inch fish, ugly as the devil, on a size 2 hook, probably they were the ones troubling me.

B
BaldTexan
Lol. That was probably a sculpin Montym. They ARE ugly little bait stealers. I usually toss them to the sea gulls.

S
sapo
Nice Monty! Ya bunch of fish, I hit the Sandy on Friday at the hole I go to and had a nice bobber down but I missed it...saw a guy catch a pikeminnow. But the river was really off color, probably would've slayed em if the visibility was more than 2 inches.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
kwikfisher said:

it is important to remember that after Thursday, you need to release wild coho adults and jacks on the Siuslaw, Umpqua, and Alsea. You can still retain Chinook, wild and clipped, adults and jacks, and you can still retain clipped coho, adults and jacks...the wild coho action will move to the lakes...well, there will be action once the coho decide to arrive!

Last edited:
K
kwikfisher
rogerdodger said:
it is important to remember that after Thursday, you need to release wild coho adults and jacks on the Siuslaw, Umpqua, and Alsea. You can still retain Chinook, wild and clipped, adults and jacks, and you can still retain clipped coho, adults and jacks...the wild coho action will move to the lakes...well, there will be action once the coho decide to arrive!

Looking forward to Siltcoos, pretty unique place and fishery. As I recall, flat lining wigglers on the troll, or maybe tossing spinners too?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
kwikfisher said:
Looking forward to Siltcoos, pretty unique place and fishery. As I recall, flat lining wigglers on the troll, or maybe tossing spinners too?

yes, the coastal lakes with coho runs are really fun. the fish come in through a short river and are immediately in a shallow, freshwater lake. so these are fresh feisty fish that have been thrown into a very uncomfortable situation...

flat lining plugs or spinners is a common and productive technique, used in Siltcoos at the Maple Creek arm, Fiddle Creek arm, and along the west shore to the south of the outlet river. weeds are the enemy just about everywhere, a good sonar (especially with HDI) will help identify where the weeds are coming up close to the surface and where the water is clear of them...

casting spinners/plugs/jigs/spoons in areas where the coho are jumping/rolling is a very productive technique, they can be very territorial in the lake which I associate with them being uncomfortable about their new environment, like a steelhead that has just moved up into a new stretch of water...I have had them hit just after I got the blade turning right near shore, also hit just as I twitched a spoon a few times and got it down near the bottom, and also have had them chase a spinner and hit it right near the boat...

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
My Slaw tag has been filled for a week and a half and I have released 2 however today at Salmon Harbor I hooked 2 20 to 30 lb nooks, The Slaw must just get a ton of pressure from Eugene and a lot of those folks are rude bastards! Not all some fine folks from there I dont want a flame thread but Jeez I met a winner at Tiernen in a 40 thousand dollar boat that couldnt wait 10 seconds for people to move out of his way while he took his boat out! I have a boat on the Slaw and to be honest I dont want to launch it too many a holes ! Went to Salmon Harbor today wide open launch and lots of salmon! Spread out Eugene people or valley go home! LOL! End of rant I love everyone!

S
sapo
Ya, I wish I lived closer to Siltcoos.

P
plumb2fish
GaryP1958 said:
My Slaw tag has been filled for a week and a half and I have released 2 however today at Salmon Harbor I hooked 2 20 to 30 lb nooks, The Slaw must just get a ton of pressure from Eugene and a lot of those folks are rude bastards! Not all some fine folks from there I dont want a flame thread but Jeez I met a winner at Tiernen in a 40 thousand dollar boat that couldnt wait 10 seconds for people to move out of his way while he took his boat out! I have a boat on the Slaw and to be honest I dont want to launch it too many a holes ! Went to Salmon Harbor today wide open launch and lots of salmon! Spread out Eugene people or valley go home! LOL! End of rant I love everyone!
It took me a long time to realize that if I meet three A$$*0l3$
in a row, that I'm probably the A$$#0/3
Anyway, as I've said before Gary, you sound like someone that I'd love to fish with.