Oregon Steelhead 2024

Grant22
Grant22
Jakeaba said:
Hey all, first day of steelhead fishing today. Had no luck on the clackamas. Wasn’t expecting a win on my first day ever chasing these things but was wondering if you all are “bobber dogging” for some of these fish I see? I was told to set up a bobber dogging rig and that’s what I’m using. Gonna hit the Wilson tomorrow and hope for better luck.

Do you alternate spoons and bobbers or plunking intermittently? These setups aren’t cheap haha but look forward to learning the craft. Just got stationed here and am excited to learn, cheers!
90% of what I do for winter steelhead is bobber dogging. Summer steelhead which will be coming soon, I fish spinner like 80% of the time and maybe a jig here and there.

Reactions: Jakeaba
J
Jakeaba
Grant22 said:
90% of what I do for winter steelhead is bobber dogging. Summer steelhead which will be coming soon, I fish spinner like 80% of the time and maybe a jig here and there.
Thanks!

troutdude
troutdude
@Jakeaba It's really too late for winter run steelhead. But in about a month the summer runs will begin.

Reactions: Jakeaba
C_Run
C_Run
Jakeaba said:
Hey all, first day of steelhead fishing today. Had no luck on the clackamas. Wasn’t expecting a win on my first day ever chasing these things but was wondering if you all are “bobber dogging” for some of these fish I see? I was told to set up a bobber dogging rig and that’s what I’m using. Gonna hit the Wilson tomorrow and hope for better luck.

Do you alternate spoons and bobbers or plunking intermittently? These setups aren’t cheap haha but look forward to learning the craft. Just got stationed here and am excited to learn, cheers!
I carry two rods, one for hardware and one bobber rod. Usually I use jigs or pink worms on the bobber rod. There are a lot of methods I've not tried or mastered but why over complicate things? I've only fished twice this season and went 2 for three. Two on spoons and one on the pink worm. Looks like some good water levels at the coast this week. It ain't over till it's over. (Don't listen to troutdude, lol.)
P1060854 - Copy.JPG

J
Jakeaba
C_Run said:
I carry two rods, one for hardware and one bobber rod. Usually I use jigs or pink worms on the bobber rod. There are a lot of methods I've not tried or mastered but why over complicate things? I've only fished twice this season and went 2 for three. Two on spoons and one on the pink worm. Looks like some good water levels at the coast this week. It ain't over till it's over. (Don't listen to troutdude, lol.)View attachment 640606
Thanks! Is the jig used on an inline setup? Not dogging?

C_Run
C_Run
Jakeaba said:
Thanks! Is the jig used on an inline setup? Not dogging?
I think I have only bobberdogged once from a boat but I hear it is a good method. I just use a stop and try to adjust the depth as needed.

Grant22
Grant22
I catch winter fish all the way into May on the coast. As long as you don’t mind it mostly being wild fish, it’s a lot of fun to have the river to yourself.

J
Jakeaba
I don’t mind at all, thanks! How do you tell if wild or hatchery?
Grant22 said:
I catch winter fish all the way into May on the coast. As long as you don’t mind it mostly being wild fish, it’s a lot of fun to have the river to yourself.

J
Jakeaba
Hey all, newbie here again. I’m thinking of trying a couple more “winter “ steelhead trips with my new rod setups.

I have come across plenty of forum threads about the clackamas and Wilson being “meat holes “ and as a new guy, I’d like to avoid crowds til I know my way around better. Not trying to step on any toes as I fumble around learning.

When learning , did you guys just put miles on your cars looking for spots to pull off. Make notes and learn to read water levels? I bought the book “fishing in Oregon” but I assume plenty of other folks have that book as well. I’m in my 30s and very capable of covering miles. I just don’t know how to predict bank access with private lands etc. or where there are trails I can take to get away from parking lot crowds. I assume I just have to get out and do it, but I appreciate anyone’s insight or useful resources.

I also have a pretty large sit on top and stable Jackson kayak. Does anyone float in kayaks and pull off to bank access like a drift boat? May be a silly question, I don’t know….

I’m not looking for anyones secret spots or anything. Just trying to navigate the steep learning curve to get the know how on catching some bigger fish than my usual trout or bass that I’ve done living in various parts of the country, cheers!

C_Run
C_Run
Jakeaba said:
Hey all, newbie here again. I’m thinking of trying a couple more “winter “ steelhead trips with my new rod setups.

I have come across plenty of forum threads about the clackamas and Wilson being “meat holes “ and as a new guy, I’d like to avoid crowds til I know my way around better. Not trying to step on any toes as I fumble around learning.

When learning , did you guys just put miles on your cars looking for spots to pull off. Make notes and learn to read water levels? I bought the book “fishing in Oregon” but I assume plenty of other folks have that book as well. I’m in my 30s and very capable of covering miles. I just don’t know how to predict bank access with private lands etc. or where there are trails I can take to get away from parking lot crowds. I assume I just have to get out and do it, but I appreciate anyone’s insight or useful resources.

I also have a pretty large sit on top and stable Jackson kayak. Does anyone float in kayaks and pull off to bank access like a drift boat? May be a silly question, I don’t know….

I’m not looking for anyones secret spots or anything. Just trying to navigate the steep learning curve to get the know how on catching some bigger fish than my usual trout or bass that I’ve done living in various parts of the ]

Jakeaba said:

I’m not looking for anyones secret spots or anything. Just trying to navigate the steep learning curve to get the know how on catching some bigger fish than my usual trout or bass that I’ve done living in various parts of the country, cheers!
The tried and true method would be to take a drive and look for well worn pullouts with trails to the river. Take note of where you see parked cars. Also pay attention to where the deadlines are on each river and whether they are still open. Some close at the end of March. Parks and boat ramps are public as well as National Forest land. You will find spots one at a time. Avoid posted land, of course.

I also fish from a sit on top kayak but there are few places I would be comfortable taking it to steelhead fish. I think a lot of people quit fishing for winters about now because there are less hatchery fish late in the season. They are also getting excited to start fishing for springers.

Grant22
Grant22
Jakeaba said:
I don’t mind at all, thanks! How do you tell if wild or hatchery?
Adipose fin will be clipped if it’s a hatchery. Can’t keep wilds. Get a reg book and read it to make sure you know what’s open and what’s not because OSP doesn’t tend to take to lightly to people not doing their homework.

troutdude
troutdude
C_Run said:
It ain't over till it's over. (Don't listen to troutdude, lol.)
ROTFLMBO! I stand corrected. There are SOME fish available into April (as Jed Davis testified in the Bible of spinner of fishing). I just meant that the winter runs are waning.

C_Run
C_Run
troutdude said:
ROTFLMBO! I stand corrected. There are SOME fish available into April (as Jed Davis testified in the Bible of spinner of fishing). I just meant that the winter runs are waning.
He sounds determined. I did not want to discourage him.

• Haha
Reactions: Jakeaba and Snopro
C_Run
C_Run
My last hurrah for this season (I think). It took all day to find this wild one, 5/6 lbs. tops.

Reactions: Admin
O
Oregonsteel
Diehard said:
Only advice i can give you us if you can try to keep the fish away from the bank until its played out hot fish next to the shore can be a disaster
Keep your hold razor sharp.
jamisonace said:
I'm convinced landing any fish, but especially the big ones is half luck. You have a better.chance of that hook setting right if you don't set immediately but let the fish turn first. If you're drift fishing, often the fish will turn and follow the bait and pick it up. If you wait for the fish to turn back around and face upstream again before setting the hook you have a better chance of getting it in the corner of the mouth.
Sorry, was distracted, haha! I’m a bank fisher and often times your hook gets dulled from hitting rocks on the drift. Check that hook after any drift where your line stopped on a rock. Odd are, it’s dull now, replace it. I don’t know about boat fishing steelhead, never been. But from the bank, you set the hook anytime something feels different! Them buggers will gently suck you bait in and and blow it back out, waiting to set the hook will result in a lost chance. They fight harder in deep water so you have to do your best to “try” to steer it out. Keep your rod tip in the opposite direction of the fishes travel as much as possible. I love it when they jump! It’s one of the things that make steelhead so special! Keep the rod tip low and the pressure on. A quick prayer to the fish gods couldn’t hurt either, haha!