Oregon Steelhead 2024

jamisonace
jamisonace
hobster said:
Shhhhhhh😉 I have had luck at 10 feet as well but 11 1/2 is definitely pushing it. They are calling for two more inches of rain the next couple days☹️
I'm seeing the Umpqua is supposed to bump again, right as it's coming into perfect shape. Grrrr

troutdude
troutdude
hobster said:
Shhhhhhh😉 I have had luck at 10 feet as well but 11 1/2 is definitely pushing it. They are calling for two more inches of rain the next couple days☹️
3-5" in the Coast Range this weekend!

hobster
hobster
troutdude said:
3-5" in the Coast Range this weekend!
Predicting the river to get to 14 feet but I’ll bet it gets higher. This whole month has pretty much been a wash up here.

Reactions: troutdude
B
Bestfishes
Haven't posted here on years. Used to use the handle fish-n-chips and cohosanders. Anyways good to be back. I remember posting on OFF when it just started. It was during my first couple of years steelheading and a lot of us got together and fished. I'm not much for social media or internet anymore, but I got bored so I'll get on once in a while. Good to see the site up and still running. Here's a few beautiful fish I caught when I had the river to myself during the ice storm. 1 nice hen keeper and 1 buck released to go squirt!! Tight lines everyone 🎣

• 3776.jpg
  • 3777.jpg
  • Love
Reactions: Fred, Wheredafishat?, beavis and 5 others
hobster
hobster
Finally got out yesterday for a few hours after work for some high water fishing before the big storm👍

• Wow
Reactions: beavis, Diehard, Bestfishes and 1 other person
Grant22
Grant22
A couple of buddies and I went 4/5 on our only outing so far this year. I went 1/2 personally, here’s the one I landed.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: FlowerFish, beavis, O. mykiss and 4 others
troutdude
troutdude
Bestfishes said:
Haven't posted here on years. Used to use the handle fish-n-chips and cohosanders. Anyways good to be back. I remember posting on OFF when it just started. It was during my first couple of years steelheading and a lot of us got together and fished. I'm not much for social media or internet anymore, but I got bored so I'll get on once in a while. Good to see the site up and still running. Here's a few beautiful fish I caught when I had the river to myself during the ice storm. 1 nice hen keeper and 1 buck released to go squirt!! Tight lines everyone 🎣
Great to have you back! I was with you on one of those fish OFFs, on the N. Santiam. You reeled in a nice Steelie that day, just below the Big Cliff dam my recollection is correct.

Reactions: Bestfishes
Diehard
Diehard
Grant22 said:
A couple of buddies and I went 4/5 on our only outing so far this year. I went 1/2 personally, here’s the one I landed.
Nice fish young man love that river it looks like maybe the broodstock are starting to show congratulations!

jamisonace
jamisonace
My goodness this is a good year. Of course it happens on a year I can't get out much. I took the afternoon off today and hit the river shortly after 2pm. We ended up hooking 7, landed 5 and missed at least 2 other bites by 5pm. Had to get at least one pic to remember the day.

• Wow
Reactions: O. mykiss, pcstock, troutdude and 2 others
jamisonace
jamisonace
Derby weekend over here is always crazy. I usually don't even try to fish it with all the boats on the water but as good as fishing has been I figured I'd give it a shot. Saturday was super slow. My kid and I went out around 3 and got one fish in about an hour and half before he was ready to call it quits. His fish came 10 seconds into the first drift so unfortunately his expectations were immediately set too high. :)

Saturday I picked up a kid that used to live with us and loves to fish. He had been wanting to get together for a bit so we headed to Canyonville around 2 and it totally sucked. Tons of boats, low water and no fish. At 2:30 we decided to pack it up and head back to Roseburg and I'm glad we did. We hooked a nice fish pretty quick but it came off. Then we hooked this little guy but he was so happy to have caught a fish. As you can see it was pretty wet so after we got that fish he was ready to go. Not a terrible weekend for only being on the water for about 3 hours.

• Love
Reactions: beavis, O. mykiss, troutdude and 2 others
Grant22
Grant22
Had a solid quick morning session yesterday, went 2/4 between my dad and I. Some new prototype Soft Beads got it done.

IMG_0164.jpeg

Reactions: Jakeaba, beavis, troutdude and 2 others
jamisonace
jamisonace
Things have slowed a bit for me. Met a friend at the ramp at 3pm yesterday. Hit all the holes at least once and only found 2 fish. This one stayed on. Really fun fight in current. Fish went upstream while we were floating downstream (drag was waaaay too loose) and very nearly got spooled. Tightened the drag just in time for the fish to turn and run at us. Of course my friend thought it came off and I was screaming at him to keep reeling. Got it tight and put it in the net.

Reactions: Diehard, Admin and troutdude
B
Bestfishes
troutdude said:
Great to have you back! I was with you on one of those fish OFFs, on the N. Santiam. You reeled in a nice Steelie that day, just below the Big Cliff dam my recollection is correct.
I remember us fishing together ❤️ good times. I think you helped me net that steelhead. I also remember it having the best meat too. Super red and delicious 😋

Reactions: troutdude
O. mykiss
O. mykiss
My son and I finally got out on a day when the river was in shape last Friday. We went 3/3 on natives and my son landed this monster! We knew it was a big fish by the way it was fighting but we had no clue it was this big until we brought it to hand. He measured 37” long with a girth of 19 5/8”. Formulas put him 18 1/2 to 19 lbs.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: beavis, Mtstrings, troutdude and 5 others
B
Bestfishes
Cool spots 😎

Reactions: beavis, Mtstrings and Admin
jamisonace
jamisonace
O. mykiss said:
My son and I finally got out on a day when the river was in shape last Friday. We went 3/3 on natives and my son landed this monster! We knew it was a big fish by the way it was fighting but we had no clue it was this big until we brought it to hand. He measured 37” long with a girth of 19 5/8”. Formulas put him 18 1/2 to 19 lbs.
Amazing! I bet that fish gave him a work out.

troutdude
troutdude
O. mykiss said:
Imma guessin' that your kiddo is chompin' at the bit...to go again!!! NICE.

jamisonace
jamisonace
We got to keep one today.

Reactions: Wheredafishat?, pcstock, SparkyofSoCal and 4 others
O. mykiss
O. mykiss
Reactions: jamisonace
J
Jakeaba
Hey all, first day of steelhead fishing today. Had no luck on the clackamas. Wasn’t expecting a win on my first day ever chasing these things but was wondering if you all are “bobber dogging” for some of these fish I see? I was told to set up a bobber dogging rig and that’s what I’m using. Gonna hit the Wilson tomorrow and hope for better luck.

Do you alternate spoons and bobbers or plunking intermittently? These setups aren’t cheap haha but look forward to learning the craft. Just got stationed here and am excited to learn, cheers!