Fogarty Creek Beach perch fishing

R
RustyShackleford
After wrenching my knee poke poling the Newport jetty yesterday had to change my plan and tried perch fishing. Went to Fogarty Creek State park about an hour before high tide. I used shrimp and Gulp! Camo sandworms. Caught 4 in an hour but they were on the small side so I released them. Gonna try again when the surf is a little lighter.

Last edited by a moderator:
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
excellent, what is the trick to catching larger ones? is it just fish more or change locations?

R
RustyShackleford
I'm a novice when it comes to sea perch so I dont know the trick to finding the bigger ones. I read that they run bigger in the summer.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
cool, I have not fished for them yet but I hear they are good eats.

PK Yi
PK Yi
awesome! good to hear that they are in there. tried fogarty 3 times, skunked 3 times. I'd have to try that again now that I know they're in there.

C_Run
C_Run
Nice report, thanks. I have eyeballed Fogarty Cr. before but never fished it. We just finished our last surf perch from last summer yesterday so it's time to go again. I have heard people say that certain locations have bigger perch but that might be due to pressure , too, I don't know.

EOBOY
EOBOY
C_Run said:
Nice report, thanks. I have eyeballed Fogarty Cr. before but never fished it. We just finished our last surf perch from last summer yesterday so it's time to go again. I have heard people say that certain locations have bigger perch but that might be due to pressure , too, I don't know.

Next week or so I'm going to go to Manhattan Beach I've always had good luck just to the South of the Nahalem jetty. Big one's there,but it may be a little early yet.

EOBOY

bass
bass
Awesome report. I am going to Newport for a couple of days over spring break and I hope to get out fishing once while we are there. I am toying with the idea of bringing the kayak and launch at South beach and fish the jetties or I might just bank it. My only concern is that the larger exchange is during midday, not sure if that is a deal breaker in the kayak. Thanks for the motivation though!

S
sapo
What kind of setup do all of you guys use?

PK Yi
PK Yi
I use a carolina rig with about 1/4 oz weight, bead, and barrel swivel. and to that about a 20" 10# mono leader with a size 4 octopus. rigged with gulp sandworms.

Casting Call
Casting Call
sapo said:
What kind of setup do all of you guys use?.........Hi Sapo! I use a a four foot leader tied on with a 3 way swivel
,at the swivel I use a 1ft dropper with a shrimp jig&pcs of shrimp,another dropper1ft3in down same set-up,anotherf1ft3in down I use a large pcs of squid, so on. I term. with a 4to6 oz.flat sinker. Here is a couple of notes of the area at FCrk,1/4mile north is Fishing Rock its a out cropping ledge, 10ft drop at high tide,perch, kelp sea bass, cabazons and lingcod. 1/2 mile south is goverment point same set-up as FCrk. GL let us know how you do.Tony p.s. google it and don't tell anyone about fishing rock and its parking lot spots.