Another Newport perch fishing report

O. mykiss
O. mykiss
Hello,
I have been looking at posts for some time but I have never posted myself, so I thought it would be time to contribute. I went out red tail fishing today (3/22) north of Newport a little bit. I got there right at high tide and after moving around a little bit I managed to land 9 perch that were all 9"-13". I was using a two-hook rig with a berkley gulp worm on one hook and a sand shrimp on the other. It was about a 50/50 ratio on what they bit. I missed probably 3x or 4x as many as I landed. I didn't take any pictures unfortunately, but they are out there! North Jetty all the way up to Otter Crest loop there are fish, good luck!

F
Fishpdx
I fished south jetty and down little and no luck, Will keep in mind to try north beaches.

O. mykiss
O. mykiss
I caught fish at Ona Beach a month ago, and around Yachats is always good for perch.

PK Yi
PK Yi
O. mykiss said:
Hello,
I have been looking at posts for some time but I have never posted myself, so I thought it would be time to contribute. I went out red tail fishing today (3/22) north of Newport a little bit. I got there right at high tide and after moving around a little bit I managed to land 9 perch that were all 9"-13". I was using a two-hook rig with a berkley gulp worm on one hook and a sand shrimp on the other. It was about a 50/50 ratio on what they bit. I missed probably 3x or 4x as many as I landed. I didn't take any pictures unfortunately, but they are out there! North Jetty all the way up to Otter Crest loop there are fish, good luck!

nice report. I fish north of the jetty all the time. how was the surf yesterday? 3/22. I was going to go but thought it was too rough.

O. mykiss
O. mykiss
I drove up to the light house and looked down at the North Jetty and it looked a little rough there for me too. The surf was a little on the rough side, I was using a 2 oz drop shot rig and it was moving it pretty good. I had to find areas where the rip current was not as strong but once I did the fish were biting hard. Many hooked themselves on the hit. The fish have all been completely full of mole crabs but I have not been able to catch any fish on them. Have you ever had any luck using the mole crabs as bait?