Perch report - Cannon Beach

Status
Not open for further replies.
C
cdumitru78
Got some time off this weekend so we headed to Cannon Beach for some perch fishing. Started fishing about 3 hours before high tide Sunday and got into them pretty fast. It was windy, so not ideal conditions, but they were bitting pretty hard. Used live shrimp but eventually switched to the Gulp fake worms. It feels like once they bite, they will hit anything, and you want to be fishing as much as you can while they bite, cause bite will die as soon as high tide hits. Caught 14 nice perch and my buddy caught a few as well, so a great day. Interesting bit of info - I was getting most hits really close in, 30 feet out at most, and I have seen two other guys fishing and casting way out there, they didn't do so good. Get out there if you want perch, they are hitting!

T
TimberTodd
Thanks for the report. Did you have better success with the Gulp worms? I have seen several posts from OFF members over the last year or so stating they too used Gulp worms and had good results.

B
BaldTexan
Thanks for the report. Gonna finally give it a go this weekend while I'm at Rockaway. What size weight was required to stay in the surf long enough for a bite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C
cdumitru78
I was fishing with 2 ounces pyramid, and that was enough. We were in Rockaway earlier this month and it was WINDY, that seems to kill the bite fast. If it stays windy, you may want to head towards Tillamook and look for calmer water. Cape Lookout day camping area has much calmer stretch of beach. You could also try the Neatarts area, there is a nice sheltered area by the Schooner's restaurant, right off the rocks there, hooked plenty of good sized fish there. Good luck!

B
BaldTexan
Cool. Thanks a bunch.

It's usually pretty windy at Rockaway but hoping the early morning incoming tide this weekend will have calm winds. If not I'll hit those other spots during the evening incoming tide.

C
cdumitru78
At first I was using live shrimp on one hook and worms on the other hook. Once they started biting I was hooking them on both, so I switched to worms only and the bite kept going. Easier to fish with worms, I think caught all my fish from there on and I only had to put new worms on once. I think once they bite, you better get them while you can, eventually the bite will die off. When it was good I would get a fish every 5 to 10 minutes, then once it died, it was literally like all fish ran away. Next time, I will have the worms with me in a holder and get one of those nets to put the fish in it so you don't stop fishing, unless you catch and release.

C
cdumitru78
No wind, that would be sweet, there are some nice holes on the north side of Rockaway, we stayed at some VRBO place there, I think it was of either off 23rd or 21st on the north side of town.

B
BaldTexan
I've been down to Rockaway several times during low tide scouting good "likely" holes so I have a couple of spots in mind to begin at. A couple on the north side and a couple on the south side.

bass
bass
Great report! Sounds like an awesome day. I am assuming they were red tail (pink fin) perch. Sounds like a blast. I will be in Rockaway with the family at the end of August. I hope to hit the surf then. Are all the Gulp worms the same flavor or were you using like sandworms or something like that?

plumbertom
plumbertom
As a regular surf fishing guy when I lived in SoCal near the beach, I can't stress enough about fishing the surf line.
Surf fish feed where the breakers stir up the bottom and toss the food buried there into the wave.
If you are up to your knees in the water there are fish between you and the shore.

C
cdumitru78
plumbertom said:
As a regular surf fishing guy when I lived in SoCal near the beach, I can't stress enough about fishing the surf line.
Surf fish feed where the breakers stir up the bottom and toss the food buried there into the wave.
If you are up to your knees in the water there are fish between you and the shore.

Absolutely, and it took me a bit to figure that out, always tempted to cast as far as possible, but as I was slowly reeling in, I started catching them very very close to me.

C
cdumitru78
bass said:
Great report! Sounds like an awesome day. I am assuming they were red tail (pink fin) perch. Sounds like a blast. I will be in Rockaway with the family at the end of August. I hope to hit the surf then. Are all the Gulp worms the same flavor or were you using like sandworms or something like that?

Red tail indeed. Not all the Gulp worms seem to be the same, at least not for me, my buddy was using different Gulp worms and I seemed to get more hits.

M
mustardthetrout
Sounds great! I was there over the 4th of July and pretty much did the same as you were describing. Caught lots of Redtails and Silver Surfperch.

Status
Not open for further replies.