Surf fishing @ Newport tomorrow Tuesday - 12/15

PK Yi
PK Yi
I'm gonna hit newport tomorrow if anyone wants to join me on some redtail surf perch action. high tide is around 2:20 pm-ish. the wind is predicted to be light, but we all know the unpredictable nature that is the oregon coast.

forecast: http://www.surfline.com/surf-forecas...st/oregon_2138

and: http://magicseaweed.com/Newport-Surf-Report/318/

I'm gonna try to arrive at nye beach park at around 11am, and fish up to slack tide.

it's oregon so there might be rain, which I don't mind long as the wind stays light.

here's a pic of my catch last time I went earlier this month.

I might get skunked but it'd be more fun to get skunked with a partner.

cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
P
pinstriper
Is it even possible to reach the coast, or once there, drive from one place to another ? I thought 101 is broken in a few places, and Tillamook Bay extends to RM 8 or so.

PK Yi
PK Yi
please don't risk it if it's too dangerous. but highway 20 from corvallis is a green light.

P
pinstriper
I have no option during the week, but I need to run out to the coast to fish for something, anything, pretty soon !

troutdude
troutdude
PK, I just got this Facebook notice (first posted at appx. 5:00 this evening). I hope that you can, still get through. It would suck to drive within' 2 miles, only to have to turn around and come back home!

WARNING: Partial road collapse on Highway 20 milepost 2 east of Newport:
------------------------------------
from Oregon Department of Transportation
Partial road collapse Hwy 20 milepost 2, east of Newport
9:50am
Partial road collapse on Highway 20 between Newport and Toledo at milepost 2. Watch for flaggers.

T
troutmasta
I was working at the coast all day and the ocean was brown. High waves lots of foam good luck

PK Yi
PK Yi
gonna be a very interesting day tomorrow. I need to get my redtail fix before I go crazier.

G
Gulfstream
Damn.. thanks for the invite.I just saw the post and am setting posts for my chicken run today.Good luck!

troutdude
troutdude
sammy said:
gonna be a very interesting day tomorrow. I need to get my redtail fix before I go crazier.

LOL Hope you made it, through the mess--and don't have to wind up, in a Psyche ward!

Let us know if you did make it--and how you're doing. Should be arriving, about now, as I recall. Good luck buddy.

M
mustardthetrout
Let us know if you do well! I'm going to be surfperch fishing the day after Christmas and I hope the ocean will have calmed down by then...especially since two guys from the school newspaper are gonna be with me to do an article about surfperch fishing. I always seemed to get skunked in the most embarrassing situations...

PK Yi
PK Yi
troutdude said:
LOL Hope you made it, through the mess--and don't have to wind up, in a Psyche ward!

Let us know if you did make it--and how you're doing. Should be arriving, about now, as I recall. Good luck buddy.

yup. made it safely. the land slide by toledo caused about a 5 minute delay but no big deal.

it was an ok day. wind was super calm - you can keep a candle lit on the beach without having it blow out. didn't expect that at all. however, the surf was angry. but fortunately there was no huge swells.

I caught only one, and the victim was a 12" redtail. I lost 2. didn't quite fish to high tide as I had to come back home for an appointment.

Last edited by a moderator:
PK Yi
PK Yi
mustardthetrout said:
Let us know if you do well! I'm going to be surfperch fishing the day after Christmas and I hope the ocean will have calmed down by then...especially since two guys from the school newspaper are gonna be with me to do an article about surfperch fishing. I always seemed to get skunked in the most embarrassing situations...

got only 1 about 12" - lost 2.

good luck on saturday after christmas, I hope you do well so they can write an awesome article and get people more excited about surf fishing.

troutdude
troutdude
mustardthetrout said:
especially since two guys from the school newspaper are gonna be with me to do an article about surfperch fishing.

Which school paper? I'd love to read the article, when done.

troutdude
troutdude
sammy said:
yup. made it safely. the land slide by toledo caused about a 5 minute delay but no big deal.

it was an ok day. wind was super calm - you can keep a candle lit on the beach without having it blow out. didn't expect that at all. however, the surf was angry. but fortunately there was no huge swells.

I caught only one, and the victim was a 12" redtail. I lost 2. didn't quite fish to high tide as I had to come back home for an appointment.

Glad you made it there; and at least you didn't get skunked. Thanks for the report.

C_Run
C_Run
You're a trooper, Sammy.