10-12-14 Eagle Creek mid way up

D
dozer365
Since the day before I'd been fishing on the clack near the mouth an it rained so hard. I decided to try eagle creek near the fish ladder. Mid creek if u will...
** Since I had some stuff to take care of I'd decided to go even if I only had a few hours.*
** *I drove straight to snuffin... A truck had beat me to "the spot" and they had two young fisher ppl with them. A total of 4 ppl fishing and I watched for a bit an chit chatted with them.*
** After a few, I decided to hike in by the yellow gate, I'd been planning on trying fieldhimers. But I was short on time.*
** I hiked down to the pool by the ladder an saw a bunch of fish right off.*
** *Went down to the "rock" below the dead line an spotted more fish!!
** I decided I'd try to fish it. And fish it I did.*
** I started with a plug into the couple shoots. Backed it down to the choke points and nothing! But I'd pushed fish down. So I followed. And followed. And I got to the burnt out ladder by the falls. I found a rock an sat for a bit.*
** Omg they were moving in packs. Groups of 2-10 fish every min or two shot up!!! Oh no I'd better figure it out before they all booked up. The creek was up 4-6" and dropping.*
** *I threw my bobber an egg down into the pool an crouched down. 3-4 seconds and it danced around. Didn't go down. Bait robbed. This happens twice more. I decided to shorten my leader to about 18" from 36". Bobber tilted an dipped. I ripped a lip. Bigger buck. Red an spawnie looking. Releases it. An another buck seconds later.*
** Then j couldn't get touched. So I changed to spinners and nothing at all in the spinner. But I pushed fish into a hold below me... So I tried something different. I put on one of the smallest green corkies and a smidge of black sparkle yarn. Light pencil lead and backed into them. It wasn't long. I let it hang in the current at the end of my swing like a fly I used my reel to strip it back in as if fly fishing. Bam after bam after bam.*
** *I got a nice hen. Short fight and bleed it. Tagged an back to my rock. Same thing but 30 min went by before I hooked up again. After that it was on. Fish started breaking water. Running half out of the creek. The next fish I hooked was a piggy hen. And then several fish to far into spawn to even consider keeping.*
**With time running out for me I decided to throw my last few baits. Boom fish on on my last bait!! Another hen. Quickly tried to bleed it an tag out...
**After tagging it I went to grab my fish an it hadn't bled out much??? So I cut a lil deeper and pulled head back to see if it was bleeding yet.... Right then it did what I never thought it would. It Money shotted my face.*

I literally got sprayed in the mouth and eyes and hat with a direct pulse of life fluid!!! Gross.*
** I had to dunk my head in the creek and fight the urge to puke. It wasn't that bad really until the blood ran into my mouth and I could taste it!!! Yuck. And right then it shot singles all over me.*
**So I was in a hast and grabbed a wasteful fish an the karma gods of fishing got me!! *I learned my lesson on hastily killing a fish an removing it from water. I should have known better. I know what the *nether Region of a spawning fish looks like. Just over looked it in my hurry to get home process eggs. Brine meat and get to work on time.*
** I ended up going 9-12 with one spinner bite. 3 egg bites. And 8 corky yarn bites. Kept 3 an should of only kept the two. But they were not wasted nor was the meat.*
** All in all I'm glad I fished hard this last weekend. I hooked fish everyday. I supplied my egg quiche pretty well. Got quality meat. And smoker fuel. And more importantly. Didn't have to work and spent some good days with good ppl.*
** I'm so happy it's raining right now. These fish needed to be freed up. And now fresh coho will be filling the canyon. I know where I'm gonna be Friday.*
** *Trask or eagle creek canyon. Love the fall. It's such a bountiful time of year. Feast on y'all. There is chrome in the water. And blood moon in the heavens.*

S
sapo
Great report! Looks like those fish do bite, after all! Great job. Do u have any pics?

NWDiscer
NWDiscer
Great job man :thumb:

D
dozer365
Yea I'll post tonight

C
ChezJfrey
You and those coho...seems to be working. For some reason I'm still a difficult sell...probably cuz I'm still able to latch onto a steel here and there :)

Keep up the good work.

P.S. UPS just dropped off my phone 5 minutes ago, so in a short bit, I'll be back in the phone loop.

S
SmallStreams
dozer365 said:
** Omg they were moving in packs. Groups of 2-10 fish every min or two shot up!!! Oh no I'd better figure it out before they all booked up.**

That is such an awesome site to see. I never tire of it!

Always amazes me how they'll even shoot through if you're standing in their way like a bear and waving your arms like a madman. Those fish are determined!

D
dozer365
Beads baby

D
dozer365
Chez send n a pm if u need my number.

G
gillplateforwad
b59407cfea0726a83f1f355f797f22d6.jpg
Beads baby beads lol

Reactions: billfisher
D
dozer365
egg trains

G
gillplateforwad
Yeeyeeeeeeee good hookin dozer!

J
Jordy
Good job! Hopefully the creek will pull even more pressure off the river. The fishing has been good, or great if there hasn't been any pressure on the drifts

D
downes157
where is this canyon you speak of