Continued bent rods on the Deschutes

O
OnTheFly
My son Cody and I, along with Eggs and Ninja, arrived at the Deschutes Saturday morning just in time to chat with FlyBum and Deb before they headed up river. At that point we should have either gone down stream or not fished at all but we decided to go up stream as well. Word of advice: Never be the one following the wake of FlyBum and his girlfriend on a fishing trip otherwise you'll be left with only a small abundance of a few unintelligent small trout. Thank God the two of them went home Sunday and let the fish settle down to give us a chance.:rolleyes:

Sunday was prime. Not only was the weather perfect but we discovered the fish were just as hungry as they were for FlyBum the previous day. Probably the most significant action of the day was when Cody found his zone and caught fish after fish in a very short time period. We were on the move and spread out and since I was the only camera holder, there are only a few shots taken. Can't wait to get back there but I sure in the hell won't be telling FlyBum about it. (just kidd'n bud, glad to see you:cool:)

• Rose City Miller Remodel 003.jpg
  • Rose City Miller Remodel 001.jpg
  • Rose City Miller Remodel 002.jpg
S
steelhead_slayer
Glad you guys got into some fish. Maybe I'll see you out there one of these days

B
bigsteel
nice job fellas,i wish i could have gone,looks like a blast

J
john montana
nice. i miss the deschutes. might have to get out there.

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
O
OnTheFly
Thanks!

Nymphing for the most part. Eggs and Ninja swung a few wet flies.

O
OnTheDrop
OnTheFly said:
Thanks!

Nymphing for the most part. Eggs and Ninja swung a few wet flies.

Well done guys..Any big bugs flying around yet? I was thinking about hitting Mecca on my way home to the Portland area wednesday...And now my buddy wants to float from Warm springs - Trout creek next week.. I'm fine with nymphing but it'd be sweet to encounter a particular hatch.

O
OnTheFly
SteelmonKiller20 said:
Well done guys..Any big bugs flying around yet? I was thinking about hitting Mecca on my way home to the Portland area wednesday...And now my buddy wants to float from Warm springs - Trout creek next week.. I'm fine with nymphing but it'd be sweet to encounter a particular hatch.
Not one salmon fly and believe me I looked. There were some blue wing olives coming off and caddis though.

N
ninja2010
'twas good to return to the d after a few months... and this time around, the skunk was killed. i actually caught 2 fish! (woot!) one on a prince nymph and another swinging (kinda) a no-name-self-tied soft hackle. definitely have lots to learn about trout fishing on a river.

some day... when i grow up, i want to nail the big 'uns on the d - just like flybum. :cool:

F
FlyBum
Good seein y'all down there! I can't believe that I never trout fished that section of water before. :shock: Fished some of it for steel but not trout. You can chalk it up to "beginners luck" I guess. :cool: They were really on the take for me, I guess I happen to have gotten my "fishyness mojo groove" back on. Last good day that I had period was over on the Owyhee over a month ago. The big bugs will be flying soon, but this is my favorite time to go before all the madness really starts to happen. :)

W
wozniasm
Nice job guys!:clap::clap::clap:

F
FlyBum
Here's one just in from Deb :)

O
OnTheFly
Was that the one from the island?

F
FlyBum
Ya, I think so. If it was that fish took me into my backing! :)

S
steel Head
I was on the "D" sat and sunday morn near madras I can't think of the camp ground name im guessing I may have been around where you guys were I was trying to handle a fly rod and some one finaly came and hooked me up with some great advice .

F
FlyBum
steel Head said:
I was on the "D" sat and sunday morn near madras I can't think of the camp ground name im guessing I may have been around where you guys were I was trying to handle a fly rod and some one finaly came and hooked me up with some great advice .

Maybe Mecca Flats??

S
steel Head
FlyBum said:
Maybe Mecca Flats??

maybe there was a hore ranch accross river about 1/4 mile down river from main camp area and the road to the grounds had a old cave/tunnel that you passed im completly inlove with flyfishing now and am willing to drive the hour and a half to that spot

F
FlyBum
steel Head said:
maybe there was a hore ranch accross river about 1/4 mile down river from main camp area and the road to the grounds had a old cave/tunnel that you passed im completly inlove with flyfishing now and am willing to drive the hour and a half to that spot

Yep that is Mecca. Nice place and they redid the campground so hopefully it will be a bit nicer??

S
steelhead_slayer
yeah that is mecca flats. I'm glad someone helped you out. Its always great when fisherman are willing to help each other out. Last year at the mouth an old timers gave up his spot, and spent some serious time with my brother-in-law getting him dialed in.

O
OnTheFly
Mecca Flats for sure. You didn't happen to run into a guy there named Jimmy did you? Anyhoot, that's his OFF name too and him and a bunch of others stay there for a month during salmon fly season.