First bass fishing trip of the year, 8 April 2023

bass
bass
I hit the Columbia river on Saturday the 8th with my regular fishing buddy. We both had been watching the weather forecasts like a starving man eyeing a donut waiting for a weekend with fishable wind. We were both super excited as Saturday approached, checking the forecast every hour for days. We could not believe it, the first bass trip of the year was at hand!!

I got to the ramp a a little after sunrise and my buddy had launched and was fishing. I felt like I was moving through molasses as I tried to get my kayak ready. The first trip of the year is far from autopilot for me :) Finally I has able to get everything how I needed and roll my kayak down to the ramp. The wind was out of the East, and while not insanely strong, the river is completely unprotected from the East and there were small waves even with the modest wind. I did not care though because I was going fishing!!

I was excited to see that the river had good visibility. With all the rain we have had I was worried it might be a bit murky. I launched and quickly pedaled over to where my buddy was fishing and he told me he had already nailed 3 nice smallmouth. I picked up a rod that matched his technique and we both fished hard for about 1/2 hour without any success. Since the wind had picked up since I arrived I thought perhaps the fish had moved shallower and decided to toss a swim bait in a bit shallower water. That turned out to be a fortunate choice and I nailed my first bass of the year!!

Not a monster but a solid fish. I pedaled back up from where the wind had blown me while I weighed the fish and on the next cast I caught my second bass of the year. I thought "oh man, I am going to be on fire today". Clearly I have little gift for seeing the future :)

I did not get another bite for a while and switched baits multiple times before landing my 3rd bass on a lipless crankbait.

Then came a lot of casting with nothing to show for it. We tried a couple of different spots and decided to try and divide and conquer. I lucked into a 4th bass on my trusty swim bait while exploring an offshore rockpile.

Then another long lull. Lots of casting and pedaling but the river just felt like a desert. There is that feeling you get when it just seems like there are no fish left in the river. It is an emptiness that all fisherman pick up on from time to time. The only good news was that the wind died down and I went from shivering to comfortable. We tried drop shots and Ned rigs without success so I went back to the old swimbait and finally coaxed my 5th bass of the day.

I am not sure what really changed but that fish really energized me and made me start fishing like I meant it again. I decided that perhaps I need a bit more calling power than just the swim bait so I switched to a vibrating jig (jackhammer stealth). Now I watch guys on TV slay fish with these things but I have never had much luck with them and probably have never really given them a fair shake. I decided I was going to suck it up and just throw that thing for the rest of the day. I really enjoyed the buzzing feedback in the rod from feeling the lure working and kind of fell into that magical zen I occasionally achieve where I feel like I am really one with the lure.

We moved to another rockpile and I felt like I had a strike but missed it. Then I hooked a nice fish but it pulled the hook after a short battle. My buddy caught one on a swimbait and I hooked up but lost that fish as well. My faith was being tested for sure but I just stuck with that lure. After not having any more action after that brief flurry my buddy decided he wanted to leave but I thought I would fish one last spot on the way back.

He was just hanging around chatting when I felt a really solid thump on vibrating jig and my rod took on a deep bend. After a brief battle I landed my best fish of the day. A 2lb 7oz bass. No monster for sure, but finally landing one that lure really boosted my confidence. A few casts later I caught another 2+lb bass. Unfortunately the bite died at that spot. My buddy headed in but I wanted to keep fishing so I headed upstream past the ramp.

I once again fell into that special zen mode where I could feel that lure vibrating in my very soul. I fished a handful of spots where I was sure I would get bit - but didn't. Finally I got to this tiny nothing looking micro point and landed my last fish of the day.

I ended the day with 8 bass between 1lb 10oz and 2lb 7oz. Definitely not on fire yet but that was a respectable day in my book. It was enough for me to have a big smile on my face as I pedaled back to the ramp. I can't wait to get out there again!!

Here is some video from the day:

• Love
Reactions: Irishrover, Admin, troutdude and 5 others
troutdude
troutdude
My bass fishing buddy and I have been Jonesin' for a few weeks now. We wait until we have 60 degree air temps for a full week; then we hit Green Peter or Foster.

Due to medical issues I was only able to fish, last year in April twice for trout. Then I was out of commission for the rest of the year. So I am now DESPERATE for a fishing fix!!! Thanks for such a cool description man. It made me feel like I was right there with you.

Now...if you could just predict a good year for me...........

Reactions: bass
bass
bass
Thanks @troutdude , I am glad you enjoyed the write up. It started out kind of breezy but just ended up being glassy calm and beautiful. I have found that smallmouth are definitely active at 45F. In the past I usually found largemouth getting active when the water temp is around 50F. I have read (and tend to agree) that is even more about the length of the day rather than the air or water temp that gets the fish active. (Or perhaps it is the angle of the sun or the depth of penetration of the sun's rays).

In any case I would guess that the largemouth should be getting pretty active soon in bigger waters. I assume smaller waters are already over 50. Water temp yester was anywhere between 44.5F and 48F depending on the time of the day and location in the river. I think the Columbia tends to be the coldest water around here by at least a few degrees. I bet you could get out there and hit the early fish (which are usually the biggest fish).

Neither my buddy (@portlandrain ) nor I caught anything under a pound and half on Saturday. No real monsters (which I thought we might find) but no dinks either.

I wish a healthy, happy and fishy year for you!

Reactions: troutdude
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Awesome report, I've yet to target smallmouth this year as the willy and the Umpqua are pretty dang blown out at the moment, looks like a blast up there.

What kinds of depth are you fishing?

bass
bass
@NKlamerus , I caught all my fish in 6-10' of water. I was anticipating fishing deeper but smallmouth almost never do what they are supposed to. Sometimes I don't even think they read the books written about them :)

We did try fishing deeper periodically during the day but could not find any biters nor mark any fish. @portlandrain did catch his first 3 in ~18' of water before I got there but he caught the rest of his fish shallow as well.

Reactions: troutdude and fromthelogo
troutdude
troutdude
bass said:
@NKlamerus , I caught all my fish in 6-10' of water. I was anticipating fishing deeper but smallmouth almost never do what they are supposed to. Sometimes I don't even think they read the books written about them :)

We did try fishing deeper periodically during the day but could not find any biters nor mark any fish. @portlandrain did catch his first 3 in ~18' of water before I got there but he caught the rest of his fish shallow as well.
Shallow seems legit at this time of year. Where the water, at least theoretically, should be a touch warmer.

bass
bass
troutdude said:
Shallow seems legit at this time of year. Where the water, at least theoretically, should be a touch warmer.
I don't think it as much temp as sunlight and length of day that matters. The Columbia has a fair bit of current mixing the water. I think the temp is pretty uniform compared to a lake or pond. Fish in deep water don't have any magical way to know if the water temp is different up shallow if they are deep.

I think the fish can sense more light penetration caused by the sun being higher in the sky and they can sense longer daylight. I believe that those things tend to warm the shallows but the warming of the shallows is not the cause of the movements. I think it is a case of causality does not imply causation.

Now I do believe the actual spawn is somewhat regulated by water temp but the pre-spawn movement is not. A spring in which the water temps are cooler results in a longer pre-spawn.

Also I believe, especially with smallmouth, not all the fish move up at once. Some like to spawn early and others later. Just like some folks are early risers and others like to sleep late.

I see this in the fall as well. Some fish really hold onto the summer feeding pattern really late into the fall. Others drop into a fall/winter pattern as soon as the days get a bit shorter.

Reactions: troutdude and fromthelogo
G
Gulfstream
Excellent report!

Top Bottom