Clackamas @ Riverside/Winter Steel

F
FishFinger
I got there about 7:30 am and set out for the upper 40. Only one plunker getting set up and not yet drunk....

After seeing CJ & Chris photoshopped on that log pile... I had to see for myself.

It kept getting worse the further I went.

DSCN0346.jpg

DSCN0343.jpg

DSCN0342.jpg

These picts arn't of the trail persay. rather the huge logs that now cover most of it.

DSCN0345.jpg

DSCN0351.jpg

I think this came from the Carver area...

DSCN0350.jpg

Then I start seeing corkies, corkies, and more corkies scattered through out the derbis eddies.

DSCN0347.jpg

DSCN0348.jpg

I salvaged some 43 varous corkies, spin -n -glows & bobbers before I managed to bushwack my way back to Meluvtr. around 9:30 or so.

If anyone is serously planing to run a saw to clean up the trail, please don't attempt it alone. In fact let me know and I'll join in. I scampered all over the log jams and discovered just how precarious they really are. It's like spring loaded pick up sticks. Not something that should be dealt with alone.

Perhaps we could have a OFF cut & clear, meet & greet to make the trail more user friendly.

Last edited:
B
bigdog
Thats crazy I'm game for a cut and clear day Friday would be best for me but if not for others then let me know what day. I don't have a chain saw but if someone has a extra one I do know how to run one.

Yeah when we got to the first pile I got up there to take a look and it didn't look any better ofter that so we went back for the ramp for that day.

M
meluvtrout
Nope! Other than those 2 hotshots I didn't get anything... We'll definitely do another OFF get together one of these days...

A
ArcticAmoeba
Just leave it! Less traffic if nobody wants to screw around with bushwhackin! It can only better your chances of hookig up with less gear in the water right? We did this on the pudding river as kids, and got to fish pools that had like 40 bass in the 2 lb. bracket, and a few knocking on the door of 5 pounds. After it had been left alone for two weeks, the fish just piled in...It got fished so infrequently that the hole lasted for over 10 years, now, I guarantee its gone.

F
FishFinger
Ok, then we gotta rename it the Blair witch hole or something.... It's an evil nightmare run trying to stick to any established trail......

All things considered, with the loss of landslide; it'd be nice to have a ace in the hole... :think:

A
ArcticAmoeba
Could be aces. Not a bad drift up there if it were not so crowded... And sure, a really creepy name... It looks like a damn mess though.

O
osmosis
That spot is already named ericson eddy or something like that, I can't remember for sure..
keep it a mess.

Better yet, get a fire going to keep the toes warm.

F
FishSchooler
ArcticAmoeba said:
Just leave it! Less traffic if nobody wants to screw around with bushwhackin! It can only better your chances of hookig up with less gear in the water right? We did this on the pudding river as kids, and got to fish pools that had like 40 bass in the 2 lb. bracket, and a few knocking on the door of 5 pounds. After it had been left alone for two weeks, the fish just piled in...It got fished so infrequently that the hole lasted for over 10 years, now, I guarantee its gone.

Less traffic yes:think:, but how do you suppose people get to the actual hole without killing themselves?

A
ArcticAmoeba
Umm, to be real honest, I don't care???!!! If people are already makin it through there, it will just be harder, not impossible by any means. I just want it to be less crowded!

And yes, just leave the stuff to burn. Good idea, as this February will probably get nice and chilly, like every year!

F
FishFinger
Fire.... That's a novel idea...;)

F
Fishydog
Actually it is easy to get around it by going over where the overflow backwash is, when you get to the first turn where the old pilings are follow the river rocks up around to the upper hole and then walk the bank back to the bend. I agree it should be left in place. Besides being dangerous without heavy equipment it would probably be illeagal to cut on that property. Which probably won't stop the red neck plunkers.

J
Justluck
Yea my girl and I were there yesterday and stopped right there. We soon took off for Mciver park and saw a guy bring in 2 steelhead.

B
bigdog
Well it's starting to pick up thats for sure. All the rain and river levels the way they were I think has really helped. Now if I didn't have to work all week. That's ok I'm going to be heading to riverside friday morning and looking for a couple OFFers to join me any takers?

N
ninja2010
bigdog said:
Well it's starting to pick up thats for sure. All the rain and river levels the way they were I think has really helped. Now if I didn't have to work all week. That's ok I'm going to be heading to riverside friday morning and looking for a couple OFFers to join me any takers?

if only i could get off work... i'm weekend warrior, so i'll wait for your report and hit it on sat/sun. good luck and tight lines.

B
bigdog
ninja2010 said:
if only i could get off work... i'm weekend warrior, so i'll wait for your report and hit it on sat/sun. good luck and tight lines.
I'll be going on saterday as well I get three days off work and almost always go on fri and sat so let me know I'll join ya

D
dude young
bigdog said:
I'll be going on saterday as well I get three days off work and almost always go on fri and sat so let me know I'll join ya
Might just see you there Friday. Heck, by then I might even have a hang of it. Thanks AA and Osmo for the tips. (Tip-o-the-hat to ya!) Think I hooked up right after you guys left but I was on the wrong side of the rock that he was next to. Felt like a bass tied up in the weeds. Head shakes but wouldn't budge. Had to break it off. But I certainly see what you mean about them tippy tappin' the bait.

I'll be out pretty much all week. Hope to see some of ya.

B
bigdog
Good look forward to meeting you on friday.

F
FishSchooler
Slinkies anyone

Slinkies anyone

Anyone here use slinkies for there drift fishin weight?

I just looked up weather (gladstone) for this next weekend. Partly cloudy on friday, mostly cloudy on saturday and cloudy on sunday. No rain! But on sunday, theres gonna be a full moon. How would that full moon effect the fish?

Last edited:
F
FishFinger
bigdog said:
Good look forward to meeting you on friday.

The Clack is forecast to hit flood stage again on Fri the 8th. It seems we'll be in a clearing window and levels should drop over the days that follow.

I can't get a forcast on the Sandys level just yet. I have my suspisions the gauge is wrong or was buggered up during the flood event. Right now it's reading 10.48 which would be perfect for winter steel.

I'm going to have to do some recon this week and check it out.

I'll keep you posted.

F
Fishtopher
FishFinger said:
I can't get a forcast on the Sandys level just yet. I have my suspisions the gauge is wrong or was buggered up during the flood event. Right now it's reading 10.48 which would be perfect for winter steel.

I did alotta checkin out places yesterday, and had a hard time finding a place that looked familiar. The New Years Day Flood changed the rivers more so than any flood event I have been around to see. And this being the first year with real heavy water flow down the Sandy without any obstructions, everything on that river is different. IMO.