Okuma Guide Select Pro

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okuma Guide Select Pro

In the market for a new spinning rod for float fishing. I loved the feel of the Okuma Guide Select Pro at the store, but couldn't find many reviews for them online to convince me to buy one at the time. For those that have used one of these spinning rods, how have they held up over time?

Not sure about that model; but Okuma sticks are often recommended on here. Hopefully some "end users", will chime in.

Comment

Originally posted by FG_Fishing8 View Post
      In the market for a new spinning rod for float fishing. I loved the feel of the Okuma Guide Select Pro at the store, but couldn't find many reviews for them online to convince me to buy one at the time. For those that have used one of these spinning rods, how have they held up over time?
      I can't comment on the newer versions, but I bought one about 10 years ago and it just this season gave up the ghost. It was very durable, had a good action, and was reasonably sensitive even though it was a float rod. They were the first IM8 rods brought to market in the budget class back then. My complaints about the rod was the weight, and it was quite tip heavy. That said the model I used was a 10'6" 8-12 and it did everything from surf perch and tide water bobber fishing for chinook to winter steelhead and bottom fishing for bass and ling cod. I literally caught thousands of fish on that rod, was sorry to see it finally break this year.

I would also highly recommend comparing the feel and price to a shimano clarus. The clarus is also a fantastic rod that is lighter, better balanced, and cheaper then the guide selects. If Okuma has kept up in quality you can't go wrong with either option though.

Comment

I've been float fishing with an Okuma SST 10'6" 10-20# casting model for quite a few years. Not the lightest rod but it's got a fast enough tip for hook set and enough backbone to be able to land chinook. Guide Select looks like a nice rod.

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far! I'm definitely going to keep my options open, the SST and Clarus both get a ton of love so I wouldn't be opposed to either. How do the SST and Clarus compare from a durability standpoint?

Comment

Originally posted by FG_Fishing8 View Post
            Thanks for the replies so far! I'm definitely going to keep my options open, the SST and Clarus both get a ton of love so I wouldn't be opposed to either. How do the SST and Clarus compare from a durability standpoint?
            My opinion only, you can not beat the clarus in durability, sensitivity, and feel in the $100 or so rod segment. Shimano hit a home run, they use the same rollers or whatever you want to call them that they do in the Gloomis line. I actually like the clarus better than the lamiglas g1000 line and use it as often as I do my Si.

Comment

I fish the 9'9" guide select pro (GSP-S-992ML) for my bobber/jig/beads rod, love this rod for those techniques. Balance it out with one of the new Epixor or Helios spinning reels and you've got a great medium priced setup......

Comment

Working...
              X