Henry Hagg Lake bank fly fishing

Jahhn
Jahhn
Hi everyone!

I'm headed out to Henry Hagg for the first time in the next couple days and will be brining a 6wt fly rod with a floating line.

I have been reading through my copy of "Fishing in Oregon" 12th edition, and it looks like a lot of fish will be no deeper than 30 feet with how the oxygen in the water is there, pretty interesting!

Have any of you found success bank fishing with a fly rod there during this time of year, or at all? What set up were you using, and what areas around the lake do you all think would be worth working?

I'm attaching a picture of the lake where I circled in red places I wanted to look at, and then again with green for the places I want to check the access for and probably work first. Let me know if I'm way off the mark haha!

Thanks in advance!
Jahhn

1703965826149.png

kemfish
kemfish
lot of people like the area near the dam labeled elks recreation area. always someone there.
Also depending on the water level those creek arms may not be as deep/long as they appear on this map. Good news is low water should make for easy flycasting. No experience trying fly fishing there. Most people on the bank are soaking powerbait, boaters do a mix of trolling and soaking bait. The point just south of the Sain creek arm has seemed to frequently have shallow trout on it, but they are always small.

Reactions: Troutski, Admin and Jahhn
Jahhn
Jahhn
Thank you, appreciate the info!

W
WHERES THE FISH
ODFW said they put in 125 broods this week. Not on schedule. FOR BRoods- I like useing a 1/4 ounce silver and coloed stripe KASTMAsher on 8 pound test-light drag. They dump out of Boat-ramp 6 I believe. Ask around when you get there. To double check call 971-386-4846 then 0 ASK ABOUT BROODS_THEY DONT VOLINTEER INFO. 1 20inch fish only

troutdude
troutdude
WHERES THE FISH said:
ODFW said they put in 125 broods this week. Not on schedule. FOR BRoods- I like useing a 1/4 ounce silver and coloed stripe KASTMAsher on 8 pound test-light drag. They dump out of Boat-ramp 6 I believe. Ask around when you get there. To double check call 971-386-4846 then 0 ASK ABOUT BROODS_THEY DONT VOLINTEER INFO. 1 20inch fish only
Umm...good intel. But not a fly rod technique.

@Jahhn launch this hotlink from our archives, and scroll down a bit to the map. And let us know how you do.

https://www.oregonfishingforum.com/threads/fishing-map-of-henry-hagg-lake.31490/

Reactions: Troutski
W
WHERES THE FISH
I have seen them GOBBLE up nymphs this time of the year. Make sure they have lots of color or flashif water is MURKY. Try on top and then let them SINK. Pink and green Berkley power worms threaded on your small hooks. Moning they come to the SHALLOWS OR BANK. Later day toward the deeper water. MAKE SUREYOU BRING A BIG NET.

troutdude
troutdude
I'd add--to the above--to think SLOW. Slow retrieve's are the norm for Spring/Summer fly fishing. In cold water the fish don't want to expend any energy, that isn't absolutely necessary. So OFFer your presentations even more slowly this time of the year. If you run past them too quickly, they aren't as likely to strike.

Reactions: Troutski, Casting Call and Jahhn
Jahhn
Jahhn
WHERES THE FISH said:
I have seen them GOBBLE up nymphs this time of the year. Make sure they have lots of color or flashif water is MURKY. Try on top and then let them SINK. Pink and green Berkley power worms threaded on your small hooks. Moning they come to the SHALLOWS OR BANK. Later day toward the deeper water. MAKE SUREYOU BRING A BIG NET.
Good to know thanks a bunch

Jahhn
Jahhn
Hey everyone,

Just got back from Hagg today, showed up about 10am just after the rain stopped and stayed for for a couple hours until it started coming down like crazy again.

I spent my time working the "cove-ish" area above boat ramp a and a few casts in this little one took a black wooly bugger. I was using 5x 6lb tippet on a 1.5ips 7ft versileader. Super slow straight retrieve.

This was the only bite I got and when the rain started coming down like crazy again I headed home.
Was a great time even though it got a bit windy!

Thanks for the advice and links to maps!
Jahhn

IMG_0919.jpg

Reactions: bass, troutdude, Snopro and 1 other person
Admin
Admin
Nice!

@bass is loaded with knowledge in general and Henry Hagg in particular. Try to send him a PM.

Reactions: Troutski, troutdude and Jahhn
troutdude
troutdude
Beautiful reward for your efforts. Glad you didn't get skunked.

Thanks for your report and pic!

Reactions: Troutski, Jahhn and Admin