Winters...

N
Native Fisher
I was tying up some jigs last night, looking at water levels, last years winter pictures, got me to wondering...Anyone think the winter run will arrive early with all of this high water? The water levels here on the south coast have been great, for steelhead, several times over the last couple weeks. I know I'm getting anxious, but my buddy nailed one steelhead oct 31st last year in low water. With good water levels I don't see any reason not to expect steelhead in the first week of november...What do you all think?
Also here is some steelhead from last season:
wpid-img_2124394633875.jpg

troutdude
troutdude
I can't answer your question. But dang; you sure put the hurt on 'em last year!

N
Native Fisher
troutdude said:
I can't answer your question. But dang; you sure put the hurt on 'em last year!

Thanks, I caught a few lol, although last year I had to work to catch hatchery fish, for whatever reason the wild to hatch count was 4:1

C
ChezJfrey
I don't know your rivers, but if the levels are good in the first week, I say yes. I'm a lot further from the ocean than you and the fish take 2 tributary turns from the Columbia and I caught my first 2 winters last year on 11/17 and 11/18.

Love that first pic...great chrome fish. I remember it from NWKiller's contest. I'm in that every year too. Sad/funny thing is I got 3rd place in the month of Feb. for a 23.5" fish, LOL. But hey, if nobody's catching fish, then I guess a sub-24 incher deserves a podium spot :)

J
JonT
Native Fisher said:
Thanks, I caught a few lol, although last year I had to work to catch hatchery fish, for whatever reason the wild to hatch count was 4:1

That is a good thing.

J
JonT
Tributaries upriver from Bonneville are already seeing early winters. Got one last week.

E
eugene1
I think that fish in coastal rivers have their own schedule embedded into their heads + rain events to think about.

So, I wouldn't NOT fish during the prime times in your streams, Native.

Best,

D
DrTheopolis
I guess they already had at least one winter in the trap at the Trask Hatchery (which has little in the way of hatchery winters, if'n I'm not mistaken).

H
halibuthitman
I caught a winter on Big creek on november 14 th last year,i picked up my phone in my truck to text a picture to a friend to say i beat him and before i could press send he sent me a photo of a winter from the Trask.. The trask gets a strong hatchery run of Wilso river fish-

O
OnTheDrop
I'm going to start side drifting for winters in two weeks....Call me crazy : )

P
plumb2fish
Shawn,
I got a winter on Saturday on the siletz....as well as a clipped summer....lost another while drift fishing from the boat for salmon...3/0 hook yarn and eggs....

N
Native Fisher
Way to go Mike! I maybe going to try again tomorrow. Either heading to the sixes to fish pocket water for salmon or going to the creek to try for steelhead.

N
Native Fisher
No winters, just more Ho's and chinooks. I had a big nook hit my nightmare jig today, ran on the hookset, jumped and he busted my XMG at the joint. I know lamiglas or even cabelas will replace it, but dang man I had an Si break season before last and this XMG broke twice in 4 outings. I'm done with lamiglas.

C
ChezJfrey
Native Fisher said:
No winters, just more Ho's and chinooks. I had a big nook hit my nightmare jig today, ran on the hookset, jumped and he busted my XMG at the joint. I know lamiglas or even cabelas will replace it, but dang man I had an Si break season before last and this XMG broke twice in 4 outings. I'm done with lamiglas.

Don't tell me this...I just got an XMG this year. Am I doomed? :)

N
Native Fisher
IDK chez it was the 6-10lb spinning model. It was a big nook and all but I had 10lb leader and a loose and functioning drag. No real reason it should have broke...

P
plumb2fish
Lamisnap!!!!!

O
OnTheDrop
ChezJfrey said:
Don't tell me this...I just got an XMG this year. Am I doomed? :)

XMGs are good, but the SI's are where it's at..

T
troutmasta
cool video-
Multiple bobber downs on tape!

C
ChezJfrey