Willamette River near U of O campus

C
Contron
Hi everyone, I have been trying to get out and do some fishing lately as the weather has been improving and was wondering if anyone had information about fishing on the Willamette. I am looking to do a bit of spinner fishing around the campus and was wondering if anyone knew of some good lures to use for trout, and if their running, for steelhead. I am open to other forms of fishing as well if anyone has a particular technique that works well in this area. Let me know what you think!

S
Steeliekiller
Use a #4 blue fox steelhead just hate those things. Or go the bobber an jig route. Key is don't fish one hole too long, keep moving an try all types of water.

hobster
hobster
Probably aren't very many steelies yet but little spoons are deadly for trout. I love the Thomas' spoons, heck any spinners will work. Is that water open yet? Don't fish the Willy much but the McKenzie is closed till the end of the month except for the lower river which is catch and release with flies or lures.

E
eugene1
I take it you are banking it?

The area right around the Alton Baker boat ramp can be good. You can throw spinners, spoons, or even plugs for steel. Some 600 over the falls by now. Hoping to see one posted up on OFF soon!

Different tactics from a boat.

Good luck,

troutdude
troutdude
That stretch, has cutties averaging 9-12" and bows averaging 14-17". Just remember that right now, it is Catch and Release only for trout. However, beginning April 26th you can keep a daily limit of 5 trout. There is also a steelhead run, that is just now beginning to ramp up. Hopefully Jamisonace will see this, and chime in. He knows that area very well; and can add some tips and tricks.

C
Contron
Thanks for the advice so far everyone! I saw that the area was only catch and release right now for another week. Went out there yesterday for a bit even though it was a little rainy and caught 2 small rainbows which was not a bad start. Gonna get some new tackle and get out there again soon!

E
eugene1
Sounds like you're figuring it out just fine.

BTW, I was talking about summer steel. Lot of trout caught on the same methods though.

Keep putting your time in and you'll do fine.

Best,