Interpreting river conditions

FairweatherFisher
FairweatherFisher
Hey all, I’m wondering if you can lend me some pointers on how to determine the roughness of a section of river.

I have an inflatable whitewater Kayak (thick rubberized canvas), and it seems to handle most things pretty well, but I’m not the most experienced boater. There’s a stretch of the Willamette near Coburg that I’m interested in checking out, but I don’t want to get in the water and find out I’m in over my head (pun intended).

How do you go about discerning if a stretch of river is going to be a good float, or more trouble then it’s worth?

Also, if anyone knows specially about the stretch from Hileman Landing to Marshal Island Park, I’d love to hear what your experience has been.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Irishrover
jamisonace
jamisonace
I ran it in a sled and there is nothing difficult barring any obstructions I don't know about.

Wide sweeping corners and light riffles. Can't think of anything I would consider a rapid.

Reactions: FairweatherFisher
FairweatherFisher
FairweatherFisher
jamisonace said:
I ran it in a sled and there is nothing difficult barring any obstructions I don't know about.

Wide sweeping corners and light riffles. Can't think of anything I would consider a rapid.
Awesome, that’s about the best I could hope to hear! Was that this year?

jamisonace
jamisonace
No. Probably 4 years ago.

Reactions: FairweatherFisher
FairweatherFisher
FairweatherFisher