Eugene fishing

M
maaaxxd
First post on here! Just got back into fishing more often recently, I live in pleasant hill area. I do LOTS of stocked trout fishing and do very well, but hoping to hook into some bigger stuff this year! Would love to go and fish with anyone looking for a fishing buddy. No boat but I am willing to get up early and put in long hours! How has willamette below dexter dam been so far this year? Really hoping to hook into some springers down there this spring/summer.

troutdude
troutdude
@maaaxxd welcome to OFF!

I was in your hood back on March 30th. Dropped my lines into Dexter at first legal; near the covered bridge. C & R'd 8 'bows all 13" or less, and saw another angler reel in one of the "trophy" sized fish. Then I banked it over by the ramps on the north side (where OSU's rowing crew had parked and disembarked, I think, for some races #GOBEAVS). Didn't fish there for long but managed to C & R 2 more smaller fish.

I've been wanting to fish the Middle Fork below Dexter; but for Walleye. But I didn't because I thought it was closed. However I just scanned the reg's and it is open--with some caveats.

Good luck in your quest and let us know how you do! (we like pic's too...lol)

Reactions: maaaxxd
M
maaaxxd
I've been hitting up the river a bit down there, I really have issues trying new spots and getting into anything new when I am mostly content just catching trout all day! I'm trying to force myself to find some new water, going out for a bit again this morning and will post some pics if I do any catching! Thanks for the info! I stopped at the bridge for a bit my last trip for about an hour, I possibly had a small bite but none stuck. Guy next to me with his kid reeled about a 12" stocker in then left and rain started coming down

Reactions: troutdude
M
maaaxxd
Hit up fall Creek for a bit and then below dexter, bobber dogged some beads below the dam but no fish. 2 other guys bottom fishing and throwing spinners, no fish there either

• Sad
plumbertom
plumbertom
Today is a good day for Alton Baker if you want to pull on stockers.

Reactions: maaaxxd and troutdude
M
maaaxxd
plumbertom said:
Today is a good day for Alton Baker if you want to pull on stockers
Might have to try it out and do some C&R, always fun to reel them in out there. Thanks!

M
maaaxxd
plumbertom said:
Was this stocked today? I know they've done it earlier in the week the past few times, I miss the old weekly Thursday stockings!

G
goMAXgo
maaaxxd said:
First post on here! Just got back into fishing more often recently, I live in pleasant hill area. I do LOTS of stocked trout fishing and do very well, but hoping to hook into some bigger stuff this year! Would love to go and fish with anyone looking for a fishing buddy. No boat but I am willing to get up early and put in long hours! How has willamette below dexter dam been so far this year? Really hoping to hook into some springers down there this spring/summer.
Funny, just signed up a minute ago to finally get some surf perch fishing for the first time ever & found some recent info on this site. Still haven't found a search bar & gotta be one here some place. Just replying to you that I'm older, born in Eugene & grew up mostly Springfield/Pleasant Hill fishing the upper Willamette area.. high lakes for Brook, Crescent Lake, lakes along Hwy 58 & McKenzie Hwy, but especially from Dexter down to mostly Jasper Store is where we floated and knew the holes where to zoom down to use eggs or hot shots after work.. pretty much all we used in that river stretch. Lived in Pleasant Hill for years & in the old days we'd drop in at the old, um.. sht I'm getting old.. yeah, it was the All American Stud Mill on east side of the river & seems like maybe halfway to the dam from Jasper bridge? The road we took to get to the river was maybe on the land that is now a huge facility of some kind (church retreat?). Anyway, I'll keep this post and if I can get away to spend some time for maybe a new buddy down there, I'll look ya up next time I head down. (I'm in east Linn County mountains area now)

Prob shouldn't give specific secrets out on the net, since SO MANY DAMN PEOPLE in Oregon these days, but when I was really young we'd go to Hills Creek Reservoir, take the road around left side of the lake, don't need to go super far past the dam and look for big places on the right where there's plenty of gravel & easy standing & walking that you can see on the right from the road, and that should work.

What we'd do is when the rains would come and knew the water was rising fast, was the perfect time to head to Hills Creek for a great big breakfast in Oakridge at the old place that burnt down, then to the reservoir to the above area and literally lift your pole tip to the air with your hook/worm barely dragging the water and swing it out. They're following the rising water to eat and are often literally RIGHT there! lol Last time 3 of us went, one guy never caught one fish, I think we got like 9? and while 2 of us caught fish, the 3rd (fingers smelling like Skoal?) hadn't even got ONE BITE yet.. and literally we're getting antsy to leave anyway and tips of our poles are are within 6" of each other & right as we start sword fighting goofing around with our pole tips?... Tim catches another fish and our buddy drops his pole and say "we're outta here!" LOLOL I guess another part of that day was, if you ever want to start giggling like a little girl?.. guzzle a bottle of Champagne OR mix Boones farm wine & beer half & half and chug it.. the 2nd one we initially came up with at Hills Creek one cold morning & guaranteed laughter will follow almost instantly. Nice memories. Also on any super COLD morning, like putting in at Dexter to duck hunt the Willamette when rest of the valley is frozen solid?... Or maybe winter steelhead fishing the Alsea in an aluminum boat (brrrrrr)?? BOTH can benefit from this family secret recipe we started drinking in our teens & hardly ever shared with anyone ever- 1 cup Clear Springs (not everclear!)...1 cup flavored brandy (try peach or blackberry?).. 2 cups water. Guaranteed to warm you to your toes, or at least it feels like it!! Oh, and make sure you have a box of 3" #2 for the long shots.. crazy good duck hunting the Willametter anytime the valley is frozen solid and if you lead them far enough.. pretty amazing how far ducks flying the river can be and you can drop them! One year we picked up several in the little whirlpool there on the right.. literally pushed the boat into and I jumped out.. grabbed the ducks as they swirled by, then they pushed back into the whirlpool to pick me up. Great man times!!

TODAY: For maaxxxd... you've prob seen peeps in lawn chairs fishing for Salmon in the slack water just below Dexter dam, right? Next time you go by there, swing in and where that huge slack area begins a ripple and turns into the river... fish that ripple area! Either a super short fly line, just lift it and drop it back at the top of the ripple.. or a lure. Who knows and I won't say my favorite one here, but most lures I've ever seen are crap and won't catch trout. If you have that part nailed, that ripple is good for a fish or two regularly. Whoops, LONG first post, but I write lots in my work.

Surfperch start biting in spring & they school up too & I want to FINALLY go surfperch fishing this year. from maybe Waldport to Lincoln City area will be where I'm willing to go & stay over a couple nights to make it worthwhile; also see how crab is fairing this last month. So if anyone can point me to current info I can follow or suggestions on HOT surfperch? I like the one 3 spinner setup I saw on the one YT Oregonlife guy, especially if you get into big schools, he was getting triple's on at once & at that rate it won't take long to limit of 15 & most perch are YUMMY. The lure he was using was a new color roostertail & I literally can't remember ever catching even one fish on a roostertail, ever. lolol Except Roostertails appartently changed their approach while I've been working too much, because he had 3 FireTiger colored roostertails on & I could instantly see how that lure can catch fish! Yeah, in the last 20 years since I hung my pole up, the world has changed lots, for sure! Sorry bout the long post, but I won't post often. Oh, researching catching surfperch, I saw a guy grab a couple bait fish & soon as the tide rolled out, he ran those fish across the sand and was looking for a hole or bubble, likely.. sand worms instantly coming up as they smelled the fish scent. NEVER seen that before, but he did it over & over. Ok, fish on boys!!

plumbertom
plumbertom
Well, no.

plumbertom
plumbertom
plumbertom said:
Well, it would have been had they stocked yesterday or today, but as of 1:00 today it hadn't happened.
However, it was very nice weather wise to go sit on the bank and watch nothing happen.
At least in the 100 yards of bank area I'm allowed access to.

Reactions: goMAXgo and maaaxxd
M
maaaxxd
plumbertom said:
Well, it would have been had they stocked yesterday or today, but as of 1:00 today it hadn't happened.
However, it was very nice weather wise to go sit on the bank and watch nothing happen.
At least in the 100 yards of bank area I'm allowed access to.
The main canal area? I think that spot is the best! Even if no fish Alton baker is always a nice day!

M
maaaxxd
goMAXgo said:
Funny, just signed up a minute ago to finally get some surf perch fishing for the first time ever & found some recent info on this site. Still haven't found a search bar & gotta be one here some place. Just replying to you that I'm older, born in Eugene & grew up mostly Springfield/Pleasant Hill fishing the upper Willamette area.. high lakes for Brook, Crescent Lake, lakes along Hwy 58 & McKenzie Hwy, but especially from Dexter down to mostly Jasper Store is where we floated and knew the holes where to zoom down to use eggs or hot shots after work.. pretty much all we used in that river stretch. Lived in Pleasant Hill for years & in the old days we'd drop in at the old, um.. sht I'm getting old.. yeah, it was the All American Stud Mill on east side of the river & seems like maybe halfway to the dam from Jasper bridge? The road we took to get to the river was maybe on the land that is now a huge facility of some kind (church retreat?). Anyway, I'll keep this post and if I can get away to spend some time for maybe a new buddy down there, I'll look ya up next time I head down. (I'm in east Linn County mountains area now)

Prob shouldn't give specific secrets out on the net, since SO MANY DAMN PEOPLE in Oregon these days, but when I was really young we'd go to Hills Creek Reservoir, take the road around left side of the lake, don't need to go super far past the dam and look for big places on the right where there's plenty of gravel & easy standing & walking that you can see on the right from the road, and that should work.

What we'd do is when the rains would come and knew the water was rising fast, was the perfect time to head to Hills Creek for a great big breakfast in Oakridge at the old place that burnt down, then to the reservoir to the above area and literally lift your pole tip to the air with your hook/worm barely dragging the water and swing it out. They're following the rising water to eat and are often literally RIGHT there! lol Last time 3 of us went, one guy never caught one fish, I think we got like 9? and while 2 of us caught fish, the 3rd (fingers smelling like Skoal?) hadn't even got ONE BITE yet.. and literally we're getting antsy to leave anyway and tips of our poles are are within 6" of each other & right as we start sword fighting goofing around with our pole tips?... Tim catches another fish and our buddy drops his pole and say "we're outta here!" LOLOL I guess another part of that day was, if you ever want to start giggling like a little girl?.. guzzle a bottle of Champagne OR mix Boones farm wine & beer half & half and chug it.. the 2nd one we initially came up with at Hills Creek one cold morning & guaranteed laughter will follow almost instantly. Nice memories. Also on any super COLD morning, like putting in at Dexter to duck hunt the Willamette when rest of the valley is frozen solid?... Or maybe winter steelhead fishing the Alsea in an aluminum boat (brrrrrr)?? BOTH can benefit from this family secret recipe we started drinking in our teens & hardly ever shared with anyone ever- 1 cup Clear Springs (not everclear!)...1 cup flavored brandy (try peach or blackberry?).. 2 cups water. Guaranteed to warm you to your toes, or at least it feels like it!! Oh, and make sure you have a box of 3" #2 for the long shots.. crazy good duck hunting the Willametter anytime the valley is frozen solid and if you lead them far enough.. pretty amazing how far ducks flying the river can be and you can drop them! One year we picked up several in the little whirlpool there on the right.. literally pushed the boat into and I jumped out.. grabbed the ducks as they swirled by, then they pushed back into the whirlpool to pick me up. Great man times!!

TODAY: For maaxxxd... you've prob seen peeps in lawn chairs fishing for Salmon in the slack water just below Dexter dam, right? Next time you go by there, swing in and where that huge slack area begins a ripple and turns into the river... fish that ripple area! Either a super short fly line, just lift it and drop it back at the top of the ripple.. or a lure. Who knows and I won't say my favorite one here, but most lures I've ever seen are crap and won't catch trout. If you have that part nailed, that ripple is good for a fish or two regularly. Whoops, LONG first post, but I write lots in my work.

Surfperch start biting in spring & they school up too & I want to FINALLY go surfperch fishing this year. from maybe Waldport to Lincoln City area will be where I'm willing to go & stay over a couple nights to make it worthwhile; also see how crab is fairing this last month. So if anyone can point me to current info I can follow or suggestions on HOT surfperch? I like the one 3 spinner setup I saw on the one YT Oregonlife guy, especially if you get into big schools, he was getting triple's on at once & at that rate it won't take long to limit of 15 & most perch are YUMMY. The lure he was using was a new color roostertail & I literally can't remember ever catching even one fish on a roostertail, ever. lolol Except Roostertails appartently changed their approach while I've been working too much, because he had 3 FireTiger colored roostertails on & I could instantly see how that lure can catch fish! Yeah, in the last 20 years since I hung my pole up, the world has changed lots, for sure! Sorry bout the long post, but I won't post often. Oh, researching catching surfperch, I saw a guy grab a couple bait fish & soon as the tide rolled out, he ran those fish across the sand and was looking for a hole or bubble, likely.. sand worms instantly coming up as they smelled the fish scent. NEVER seen that before, but he did it over & over. Ok, fish on boys!!
Thanks for sharing, great info!! I was just fishing down below the dam at dexter yesterday, spring Chinook are my all time favorite fish to catch I just need to start chasing them more! That oregonlife guy on YouTube, PK yi I think is his name is awesome!!! Have caught thousands of trout the last few years mostly using tips from his videos!
On the willamette below dexter towards jasper, ever fished a spot called "George's hole" ? I have heard lots, and have had people tell me to try it, but have no idea where it is. I'm guessing in elijah bristow somewhere? Good luck with the surf perch! I've never caught one or chased them.

troutdude
troutdude
@maaaxxd These are the most recent stockings for Alton Baker Park. With none yet this month.
Mar. 04, 2024 - Mar. 08, 2024 ALTON BAKER CANAL Willamette / Springfield 1,000 0 0 1,000
Mar. 18, 2024 - Mar. 22, 2024 ALTON BAKER CANAL Willamette / Springfield 1,000 0 0 1,000

troutdude
troutdude
This stocking is set for sometime this week. I doubt that it's been done yet; but maybe it has. It's easy to look this stuff up on ODFW's website.

Apr. 08, 2024 - Apr. 12, 2024 ALTON BAKER CANAL Willamette / Springfield 1,250 0 0 1,250

Reactions: plumbertom
M
maaaxxd
troutdude said:
This stocking is set for sometime this week. I doubt that it's been done yet; but maybe it has. It's easy to look this stuff up on ODFW's website.

Apr. 08, 2024 - Apr. 12, 2024 ALTON BAKER CANAL Willamette / Springfield 1,250 0 0 1,250
Yeah I watch this very closely and catch a ton of them at Alton, I don't think I've ever been skunked there a single time. Was just curious if it had been done yet yesterday!

troutdude
troutdude
@goMAXgo Welcome to OFF. Good of you to OFFer some great tips to @maaaxxd!

It would be much to your advantage to start a thread, of your own, with your surfperch paragraph. Which you could place under the saltwater fishing subject heading.
maaaxxd said:
Yeah I watch this very closely and catch a ton of them at Alton, I don't think I've ever been skunked there a single time. Was just curious if it had been done yet yesterday!
Unfortunately to only way to know, for sure, is to go and check it out. In my own experiences, stockings often aren't done until Thursday or Friday of a given week. Not that it can't happen sooner. But later in the week has been the norm over the past few decades.

plumbertom
plumbertom
troutdude said:

Yeah, I check that schedule before I Go.
At JC pond, they have been stocking on Tuesday. As this was an off week there I decided to try at Alton Baker, I thought they might just send the truck to this area on the same routing day as on week's for JC.
I may just try again tomorrow morning.

Reactions: troutdude and maaaxxd
M
maaaxxd
troutdude said:
@goMAXgo Welcome to OFF. Good of you to OFFer some great tips to @maaaxxd!

It would be much to your advantage to start a thread, of your own, with your surfperch paragraph. Which you could place under the saltwater fishing subject heading.

Unfortunately to only way to know, for sure, is to go and check it out. In my own experiences, stockings often aren't done until Thursday or Friday of a given week. Not that it can't happen sooner. But later in the week has been the norm over the past few decades.
I miss when it was always done Thursdays but I am glad they have switched it up a bit! They did it only Mondays for a while too! This is exactly why I'm trying to get into more salmon and steelhead instead of just chasing the truck, I am too content doing that and need to get into some other fish lol!!!! Thank you a ton for all the info!

plumbertom
plumbertom
maaaxxd said:
The main canal area? I think that spot is the best! Even if no fish Alton baker is always a nice day!
Not sure what you're referring to as the main canal area.
Due to my limited mobility issues, I can only fish the area just by the entrance bridge at Day Island Dr.
I have a parking permit that allows me to drive down along the path and park just past the duck pond at the entrance by the bridge.

M
maaaxxd
plumbertom said:
Not sure what you're referring to as the main canal area.
Due to my limited mobility issues, I can only fish the area just by the entrance bridge at Day Island Dr.
I have a parking permit that allows me to drive down along the path and park just past the duck pond at the entrance by the bridge.
Oh, I see! The duck pond where it spills into the river? I like that spot too! By main canal, I meant on the opposite side of the bridge you drive over to get to the parking lot, over more behind the car dealerships. The north side of the bank has a trail with some decent spots, and the south side is where I usually fish, the long straight grassy area. There are a few light poles Lined up and I think if you have the Ada parking thing you can drive and park down there! That's where they dump the fish in to stock. I might head out there for a bit today.