Upper Nestucca (for beginners)?

F
frontierhistorian
As someone with nearly zero Steelhead experience and with a preference for the Nestucca (closest to me, where I like to fly fish in the summer), I'm wondering if anyone has advice for me bank fishing between Blaine and the deadline. In the first place, is it fishable to Steelhead (I know it's open for hatchery fish till March 31). And second, what particular tackle and technique recommendations beyond the basics I'm reading about here and there.

FYI, I have a 9'6" medium action rod rated 6-12 lb test and a spinning reel rated up to 12 lb that I can spool up with the right line. But I welcome any suggestions on terminal tackle including bait/lures.

Casting Call
Casting Call
f...h.... Zero experience eh! First place check ODFW rules and regs. Second place stick with the basics, check u-tube for tackle and technique. recommendation/comment go out and practice what you do know, keep your expectations low with such with such a long learning curve ahead of you. When you do hook-up modify your technique for the better. Good luck Tony

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
@frontierhistorian My best advice would be to get yourself a copy of this book. You'll learn a lot, in a short period of time. And get yourself some spoons too; for pockets that can't be fished well with spinners.

1676306185026.png

F
frontierhistorian
troutdude said:
@frontierhistorian My best advice would be to get yourself a copy of this book. You'll learn a lot, in a short period of time. And get yourself some spoons too; for pockets that can't be fished well with spinners.

View attachment 639757
Thanks! I'll look for it! Any specific advice for the Nestucca? I was on there near the last day of the season hunting cutties, and had a passel of steelhead shoot up the river in a channel just a couple feet wide right at my feet. Incredible sight.

• Wow
Reactions: C_Run and troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
No. Sorry. I haven’t fished the Nestucca since the 70’s.

Reactions: frontierhistorian
C_Run
C_Run
I literally just got back from there a half hour ago. The hailstones were too much for me so I quit early but I hit the highlights from the deadline to the fire hall. Although it's been good to me in the past, I only found two trout all day. My advice, go on a weekday. I like to fish spoons so I gravitate to the spots I have found that lend themselves to that mode. There are many places to fish along the road, just keep an eye out for the private property. There are some deeper holes I can't access too well with hardware but you might try drift fishing or bobber and jig. I carry two rods, 1 bobber rod and 1 for hardware. I also see fly fishermen up there a lot but I don't know anything about that.

Reactions: frontierhistorian