Wader suggestion

S
steelhead_slayer
I been looking at waders in the $150 range. Anyone willing to share opinions, experience, or any other info to help me make the best purchase?

18406ej
18406ej
You will probably be deluged with info. Keep an eye on sites like The Coleman Co Bargain Basement and other such sites. Good luck, now i am getting out of here before I am trampled.

E

H
halibuthitman
18406ej said:
You will probably be deluged with info. Keep an eye on sites like The Coleman Co Bargain Basement and other such sites. Good luck, now i am getting out of here before I am trampled.

E
this guy doesn't know ****... he's Irish and uses big words I don't understand... and I hear he ran for political office....

H
HereFishy
I use Allen chest waders (the breathable style. Not the all neoprene style) with Allen wader boots. I like them a lot. They're nice and cool on hot days and I'm bone dry after hours in the water. They tear easily though. So they're not really suited for a situation where you have to bushwhack to get to your fishing hole. I think the waders were $79.99. And the boots were $59.99. Both at Bi-Mart. I would suggest them to anyone.

Happy Fishing,
Kyle

W
wozniasm
I just bought a breathable Caddis brand Guide model at Sportsmans for $140 that went on sale withing 30 days which dropped them to $120.
They have a pocket on the front for your hands and a zippered pocket, extra layer on the upper legs for brush protection and they have sizes in stout for short legged folks like myself.
Tried them twice and I like them. The only con I have is the belt that doesn't have loops to keep the belt attached when you take them OFF.

Below is a pic of them on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Caddis-Attrac...&qid=1372157811&sr=8-1&keywords=caddis+waders

S
steelhead_slayer
wozniasm said:
I just bought a breathable Caddis brand Guide model at Sportsmans for $140 that went on sale withing 30 days which dropped them to $120.
They have a pocket on the front for your hands and a zippered pocket, extra layer on the upper legs for brush protection and they have sizes in stout for short legged folks like myself.
Tried them twice and I like them. The only con I have is the belt that doesn't have loops to keep the belt attached when you take them OFF.

The caddis northern guide waders were actually one of the brand I was considering. I was also looking at the hodgman hickory swale.
One of the main features I am looking for is durability. I have not found a pair of waders that have keep me dry for long yet.

S
Steeliekiller
Warning! Dont get frog toggs. I've been running my allens for 2 years and I fish quite often. Great waders all around. My pa runs the hodgmans and he loves them. Good luck.

S
steelhead_slayer
I bought frogg toggs last year. Big mistake they are junk

P
perfectg03
If you can spare an extra 50.00 get the Dryft Waders. They are very durable, breathe well, and have many nice features that more expensive brands like Simms, Patagonia, etc...Stay away from Caddis products, they are very poorly made and will give out on you within a month or two of moderate use. I Bought the above mentioned Caddis Guide Systems waders when on sale at Fisherman's. Was pleased after the first two uses, then the seams at both knees came apart. Then the taped seams at the booties came apart and the bottoms of the neoprene boots wore out like a pair of cheap socks. I have used multiple tubes of aqua seal on these horrible waders which have now been tossed in the trash.

Dryft makes a great product and they are nice looking. I will never buy any cheap waders again, I own two pairs of Simms G3 and a Pair of Redington SonicPro waders and have been very happy with them both for several years of absolutely zero issues. Save yourself money and buy the best. Otherwise you are going to be spending 150.00 every 3-6 months on new waders. Spend 300-600 and be much happier. Thats my 2 cents.

18406ej
18406ej
Halibuthitman:

You bast-rd! You are dead after school.

Are those words that you can understand?

F-cker.

Love,

Your pal,

Eamon

H
Herefishyfishy
I love my Dan Bailey's!

S
steelhead_slayer
perfectg03 said:
If you can spare an extra 50.00 get the Dryft Waders. They are very durable, breathe well, and have many nice features that more expensive brands like Simms, Patagonia, etc...Stay away from Caddis products, they are very poorly made and will give out on you within a month or two of moderate use. I Bought the above mentioned Caddis Guide Systems waders when on sale at Fisherman's. Was pleased after the first two uses, then the seams at both knees came apart. Then the taped seams at the booties came apart and the bottoms of the neoprene boots wore out like a pair of cheap socks. I have used multiple tubes of aqua seal on these horrible waders which have now been tossed in the trash.

Dryft makes a great product and they are nice looking. I will never buy any cheap waders again, I own two pairs of Simms G3 and a Pair of Redington SonicPro waders and have been very happy with them both for several years of absolutely zero issues. Save yourself money and buy the best. Otherwise you are going to be spending 150.00 every 3-6 months on new waders. Spend 300-600 and be much happier. Thats my 2 cents.

That is good advice. Those dryfts don't look bad. Does anyone have experience with the similiar priced USIA waders? There are suppost to be built tough

B
bigsteel
redington sonic seams have done me very very well

S
steelhead_slayer
bigsteel said:
redington sonic seams have done me very very well

Yes I like that they are not stitch. Not sure if I want to spend that much on waders though since IMO all waders will fail one way or another at some point

O
OnTheDrop
Don't get Caddis, Allen or Frog Toggs. Try Cabelas or Simms.

S
steelhead_slayer
I'm leaning toward the dryft brand or USIA brand right now. They both have different pros and cons

hobster
hobster
There is a LONG thread on the USIA waders at the other forum - you know the one. They seem to get great reviews and I may try them in the future. Right now I use Cabelas breathable and my good ol Redingtons I've had for 10 years. Aqua seal does wonders!

S
steelhead_slayer
Yeah the lifetime warranty, made in Oregon, and durability are all pluses. The negatives are they look heavy, they are pretty basic unless you pay for the extras, and the stocking foot type are made with latex which people are complaining make it hard to keep your feet warm.

The dryft waders look more comfortable, are full of pockets, but only have a 1 year warranty.

Last edited:
hobster
hobster
Yeah I do recall some pretty cold feet in the winter, good point. I really do like supporting local business though, I may try them anyway.

S
steelhead_slayer
hobster said:
Yeah I do recall some pretty cold feet in the winter, good point. I really do like supporting local business though, I may try them anyway.

You can get the insulated boot feature